SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2016 Edition

AZSIOUX

12 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Wasn't his brain.

True, but at what point if you are the coach and know this guy has a pro career on the horizon do you say I care more about you and your future than winning a game, albeit a big game.  

5 minutes ago, tnt said:

True, but at what point if you are the coach and know this guy has a pro career on the horizon do you say I care more about you and your future than winning a game, albeit a big game.  

Tough question.  I was exaggerating a bit, clearly he couldn't play his his arm was barely hanging on.  I just know he was pretty dinged up, he took a big one against Harvard.

8 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Tough question.  I was exaggerating a bit, clearly he couldn't play his his arm was barely hanging on.  I just know he was pretty dinged up, he took a big one against Harvard.

It is a tough question, because whether you have pro potential or not, carrying an injury that could possibly nag you in the future is still concerning.  Would hope and guess that the medical staff said it was an injury that wouldn't result in further damage.  

7 minutes ago, tnt said:

It is a tough question, because whether you have pro potential or not, carrying an injury that could possibly nag you in the future is still concerning.  Would hope and guess that the medical staff said it was an injury that wouldn't result in further damage.

We were talking about this on Saturday after the game. But for a team like QU, ranked #1 overall going in, shouldn't you have enough depth to get through at the very least regionals without a player like Anas? Heard all season how deep they are from pretty much everyone. My thought was if they would have let him rest up during regionals, he might have been in a lot better shape at the Frozen Four than he was.

6 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

What is the general consensus here. The longer we go without additional departures, the more likely these kids are to stay? Or will some of this drag well into the summer?

I listened to Berry on one of the UND Sports podcasts, and he gave the impression within a week or two they'll have a pretty good idea who is staying and who is going.

Just now, runaroundsioux said:

Anyone notice Caggs left hand/wrist all taped up after he took his gloves off postgame? Pretty sure this late in the season every player is dealing with some sort of injury. Just got old hearing about Sam Anas injuries the last two years. Would never hear that from a UND team.

Not least of all, in order to protect the players' injuries from being targeted by opponents. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Let's imagine you're a junior or senior playing in the national championship game.  How likely are you to want to call it quits knowing you're the team's leader and best player?  If Sam Anas played for UND in that same exact situation, we'd likely be applauding how "gutsy" and "courageous" he was for even attempting to continue playing.

Ya, but I'm not the slightest bit impartial when it comes to my favorite sports team. Schmaltz could have sat out the a game with a hang nail and I'd probably defend him. 

Why would I compare how I felt about an opponents actions to UND actions?

I got tired of the constant running back to the locker room and camera fixated on him grimacing. Would I have if it was a sioux player? Nope. 

ok, I think people are beating a dead horse with the Anas injury.

I don't think the kid was really just whining or being a baby. I think he was seriously injured to the point where the pain was excruciating and he was trying to toughen his way through it.

If anything is upsetting here, it is the medical staff for QU not sitting the kid, when he clearly had a substantial injury. If they do their job, then the kid isn't going back to the locker room multiple times. I appreciate athletic toughness, but there is a point where you become a liability to the rest of your team and the yourself.

The difference between UND and QU is only that injuries really don't tend to be discussed at UND. Even so, comparing any UND player's injuries to Anas's is a ridiculous discussion. Seeing how nobody here has complete knowledge of what Anas was playing with, compared to any other player at UND or in the league.

I know we like to think UND player are all the toughest SOBs out there, be some of you need to take your green glasses off for a minute.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

When you can score goals like this(:18 mark) when you are not 100% that line isn't so black and white:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/LNN_w3xjBtU

It would be the equivalent of Boeser being 50%. Do you play Mike Gornall or Chris Wilkie at 100% or Boeser at 50?

Beautiful goal no doubt, but what does this have to do with his injury?  I mean, my god, if he's playing I would hope that he can coast to the net and flip a backhand during an uncontested 2-1!  He stopped moving his feet at the blue line!  Show me a video where he's battling deep down in the corners, making body checks, or where his shoulder injury put him in a vulnerable position.  I can show you some of those videos, and spoiler alert: it ends with Anas in his locker room.  

A better comparison would be "Do you play Mike Gornall or Chris Wilkie at 100% or Boeser at 50%, assuming Boeser will miss multiple shifts being treated in the locker room and forcing your team to play with a short bench at certain times throughout the game?"

43 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I don't think the kid was really just whining or being a baby. I think he was seriously injured to the point where the pain was excruciating and he was trying to toughen his way through it.

If anything is upsetting here, it is the medical staff for QU not sitting the kid, when he clearly had a substantial injury. If they do their job, then the kid isn't going back to the locker room multiple times. I appreciate athletic toughness, but there is a point where you become a liability to the rest of your team and the yourself.

The difference between UND and QU is only that injuries really don't tend to be discussed at UND. Even so, comparing any UND player's injuries to Anas's is a ridiculous discussion. Seeing how nobody here has complete knowledge of what Anas was playing with, compared to any other player at UND or in the league.

I know we like to think UND player are all the toughest SOBs out there, be some of you need to take your green glasses off for a minute.

Very true.  No reason to be on the ice if you need to go to the dressing room multiple times in the first period alone.  No reason to risk greater injury, no reason to risk your career, and no reason to risk being a liability on the ice and leaving your team with a short bench during the championship game.

1 hour ago, Fetch said:

It would be interesting every year after its all over - for one of u writer / investigator types to find out about injuries and give us the rest of the story

That sounds like actual work, though...:)

Is that something that could be reported or do HIPAA Privacy laws kick in?

Just now, Blackheart said:

No.  Contrary to some popular opinion, HIPAA only applies to insurers, clearinghouses, and medical providers who electronically transfer certain health information of insureds/patients.  It does not apply to writers, reporters, journalists, and just about anyone else who has knowledge of one's medical condition.

41 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

Beautiful goal no doubt, but what does this have to do with his injury?  I mean, my god, if he's playing I would hope that he can coast to the net and flip a backhand during an uncontested 2-1!  He stopped moving his feet at the blue line!  Show me a video where he's battling deep down in the corners, making body checks, or where his shoulder injury put him in a vulnerable position.  I can show you some of those videos, and spoiler alert: it ends with Anas in his locker room.  

A better comparison would be "Do you play Mike Gornall or Chris Wilkie at 100% or Boeser at 50%, assuming Boeser will miss multiple shifts being treated in the locker room and forcing your team to play with a short bench at certain times throughout the game?"

I'd still choose Boeser in that situation and obviously Rand Pecknold felt the same about Anas.  And honestly, you don't know before the game that he's going to need to go to the locker room multiple times in the game.  No one can see into the future.  That clip matters because he's a dynamic player that has the vision and skill to assist and score goals... which teams need in bunches to have a chance at beating UND. 

That clip shows that even at 50% he can be a dynamic player. He made 2 or 3 of those plays in the national title game that nearly ended up in the back of our net. You take the 1st line guy that has the potential to add offense even though, yes, there is a possibility of re-injury in hockey. You don't take the 4th line grinder who will "battle along the boards" and more often than not will not make a major difference in the outcome.

3 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I'd still choose Boeser in that situation and obviously Rand Pecknold felt the same about Anas.  And honestly, you don't know before the game that he's going to need to go to the locker room multiple times in the game.  No one can see into the future.  That clip matters because he's a dynamic player that has the vision and skill to assist and score goals... which teams need in bunches to have a chance at beating UND. 

That clip shows that even at 50% he can be a dynamic player. He made 2 or 3 of those plays in the national title game that nearly ended up in the back of our net. You take the 1st line guy that has the potential to add offense even though, yes, there is a possibility of re-injury in hockey. You don't take the 4th line grinder who will "battle along the boards" and more often than not will not make a major difference in the outcome.

I'd have to agree that he did, indeed, have an impact in the game.  I suppose his presence (laying) on the ice helped QU get a 5-3 power play and, in a way, QU's lonely goal.  He certainly may be a dynamic player, but he sure is no national champion.  ;)

14 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

I'd have to agree that he did, indeed, have an impact in the game.  I suppose his presence (laying) on the ice helped QU get a 5-3 power play and, in a way, QU's lonely goal.  He certainly may be a dynamic player, but he sure is no national champion.  ;)

Amen to that! :D

FWIW Pecknold said during one of the F4 press conferences that he was told the injury couldn't get any worse as he played through it. It was only about pain tolerance. I'd still call it gutty, and he did ring a couple posts in what ended up being a limited number of scoring chances for QU.

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

??? Even after they are healed & back

Even after the season is over ?

Just to fill in some blanks

6 hours ago, tnt said:

I know he was hurt, but part of me thought that he felt that if they won the National Championship, he would come back out of the locker room and have hero status.  Maybe I'm a cynic but it felt kind of theatrical the number of times he went back and forth.  I'm no trainer, but it seems you are either good to go and are going to endure the pain, or you are not.  What did they do in the locker room to magically make him ready to go again.  Maybe he did get his injury wrapped again, but it just seemed too much back and forth and at some point I just tell the rest of the guys to pick up the slack. 

I have watched the Sioux for 45 years, I can never remember a Sioux player who was such a whiner as Anus(a). Either they played with pain or they stepped out of the way and let someone else do their job (next man up). I do remember more than once someone going to the locker room, getting stitched up and maybe even getting a shot of something to kill the pain and come back to play! But never to continually run back and forth to the locker room (theatrics) while on national television which was show time! It is easy for me to say he is a big baby, but what other conclusion is there? 

4 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I agree with your post. I think the Anas kid should be applauded for gutting it out. He's got my respect. That kid took a beating in the ECAC tourney. If this had been the regular season, he probably would have rested his shoulder. I am glad the Wild got him. They could use a players with grit besides Porter. 

2 hours ago, SiouxTupa said:

FWIW Pecknold said during one of the F4 press conferences that he was told the injury couldn't get any worse as he played through it. It was only about pain tolerance. I'd still call it gutty, and he did ring a couple posts in what ended up being a limited number of scoring chances for QU.

Yep.