SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2016 Edition

AZSIOUX

5 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

I haven't looked too far into who but according to the TSN announcers a number of the USA U18 players have committed to Michigan. 

they've lost their entire first line (which did all the damage) and their top two dmen. I still say they struggle in their NC games next year.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Redneksioux said:

I haven't looked too far into who but according to the TSN announcers a number of the USA U18 players have committed to Michigan. 

Yeah, they said they have 5 guys from that team committed to play for Michigan.  

56 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

For him to take this long to make a decision, makes me think he thought loooooong and hard about leaving.

If I was in his shoes and he had a good offer, I would have signed. Being undrafted, even a small drop-off next year could hurt.

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Small drop off? Dude, we're going back to back! #HANGNINE

If Schmaltz, LaDue and LJ come back I agree, then we already have our top 2 lines set for next season, if not then I'm not sure. At least if Schmaltz comes back, I think he is the key player, otherwise we don't have a natural set-up guy. 

People were worried last year with people leaving... What happened: 11 freshman=National Champions....

We have to reload on the fly....  Good news is we lose elite talent and replace them with elite talent!!!

Expect another fantastic freshman class!!

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, joeyjr said:

If I was in his shoes and he had a good offer, I would have signed. Being undrafted, even a small drop-off next year could hurt.

I'm not saying I would've faulted him for going (I would've been happy for him). I am just saying that he made me nervous for a second.

15 hours ago, Emerald joker said:

If Schmaltz, LaDue and LJ come back I agree, then we already have our top 2 lines set for next season, if not then I'm not sure. At least if Schmaltz comes back, I think he is the key player, otherwise we don't have a natural set-up guy. 

Kings and Blackhawks seasons are done, I am willing to bet that LaDue will sign as will LJ. Schmaltz is a dark horse who hasn't ever really indicated which way he was leaning. If I were a betting man, I would bet on him coming back.

Disclaimer: I have no knowledge of any of these players and what they will do. My statement is based off of observation and past experiences with players like them.

13 minutes ago, siouxczech29 said:

I thought I read somewhere that LJ had already signed with the Hawks. Was I dreaming that??

I'd be surprised if that happened and it wasn't posted on this forum. I think someone may have said he was going to and the Hawks were going to handle some surgery for him, but I believe it was pure speculation. Nothing official yet.

20 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

For him to take this long to make a decision, makes me think he thought loooooong and hard about leaving.

There really isn't any rush for players to decide to leave or come back.  I would think long and hard about it as well and not go off emotion.  It's easier to make a rash decision whether to stay or go, than it is to really take the time to weigh options.   It's funny how impatient we are as fans; we consider two weeks after the season ends thinking "long and hard." I spend months figuring out my career path and job offers, why is it any different for these guys?  

2 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

There really isn't any rush for players to decide to leave or come back.  I would think long and hard about it as well and not go off emotion.  It's easier to make a rash decision whether to stay or go, than it is to really take the time to weigh options.   It's funny how impatient we are as fans; we consider two weeks after the season ends thinking "long and hard." I spend months figuring out my career path and job offers, why is it any different for these guys?  

I totally agree with you, these players need to take time and do what is right for them and their futures ...

BUT .... Of course we are impatient as fans, we just saw an amazing team win the national championship, and we are all on a hockey high. We just want the reassurance that we will have all of the solid talent to go Hang 9! Granted I think we always have the talent to make a run and win in, but we're greedy, we want the proven talent that has been here and done it.

17 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I totally agree with you, these players need to take time and do what is right for them and their futures ...

BUT .... Of course we are impatient as fans, we just saw an amazing team win the national championship, and we are all on a hockey high. We just want the reassurance that we will have all of the solid talent to go Hang 9! Granted I think we always have the talent to make a run and win in, but we're greedy, we want the proven talent that has been here and done it.

This program is really special and as I was reading this week on a gopher blog we "get the extra year or two" from players. That's exactly it, we have first rounders playing until they are sophomore or juniors. When was the last time we lost a 1st rounder after their freshman year going into their soph year?  Once they come on campus our tradition, pride, and culture takes over.   Hats off to Hak, Berry, Blais, etc for the culture that was brought back after a couple down years with Gino.  I feel like we reload, not rebuild. 

• Upvote 3

Worst case scenario, is still a great scenario for Sioux fans. 

Leaving (hypothetically speaking)

LaDue, Johnson, Schmaltz, Thompson, Stetcher

Coming (Potentially)

Jost, Yon, Bowen, Hoff, Poolman, Johnson, Bast

Solid top 10 recruiting class, if not top 5, and returning hopefully 11 freshman.  Six freshman saw significant playing time and will fill the voids left by our early departures. With Schmaltz and either LaDue or Johnson, we'll be ranked #1 out the gate.

51 minutes ago, siouxczech29 said:

I thought I read somewhere that LJ had already signed with the Hawks. Was I dreaming that??

No, I believe what you read was the Blackhawks team physician is doing his surgery, which indicates that he is leaning towards signing. 

Just now, siouxkid12 said:

No, I believe what you read was the Blackhawks team physician is doing his surgery, which indicates that he is leaning towards signing. 

The Sioux team doc knew nothing of this rumor after it was posted.  For what it's worth