SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2016 Edition

AZSIOUX

1 hour ago, Ray77 said:

I've seen a few posters out here make comments about not liking Rand Pecknold due to x, y and z, but have yet to see or hear what was so bad.  Anyone care to clarify?  All I've known about so far was that he wasn't happy last year when placed in Fargo...and I think he had a legitimate complaint, too.  My memory's a bit foggy on this, but weren't they a higher seed than a couple teams but got placed in Fargo due to either "integrity" reasons or someone was hosting, so they got sent here?

No big deal. He is a "give our opponent credit" guy and then the next second he is "refs this, refs that"

1 hour ago, siouxstudent said:

All this Anas and Pecknold talk in this thread is making me nauseous. Any word on if all the boys are coming back yet?

I am just happy the Wild signed him, maybe he can add some needed offense to their pathetic team.

36 minutes ago, fsioux said:

Talking with some BU and BC fans, they all dislike QU for their style of play and attitude.  Not knowing much about QU, I was surprised that fans of both teams were cheering for the Sioux over QU.

Would we cheer for the gophers or St. Cloud?   You are naturally going to create more animosity for teams you play regularly.  

57 minutes ago, keikla said:

Last year before the regional he specifically stated Anas was out and couldn't play.  Then he played him anyway.  It's hard to explain without going through the work of looking up the specific quotes, but it was just douche-baggy.  Like, just say straight up if you aren't certain.  But he swore up and down that there was no way Anas would be on the ice, and low and behold, who was out for the drop of the puck?

This year it was post-game comments after the title game.  He said how we were the better team, but then he started talking about 3 obvious hits to the head that UND didn't get called on.  It was just sour grapes.

1000%

I know Tim Hennessey calls Pecknold by another name because he said he has been stiffed twice in his career on scheduled interviews, once by Red Berenson, and the other Pecknold a year ago at the regionals.  Of course, remember when Eddie Schultz was stiffed by Blais and the resulting meltdown he had.  Sometimes some other things come up that are more important, although I would hope that apologies are offered in such circumstances, and who knows if that is part of the reason for the less than glowing reviews. 

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Would we cheer for the gophers or St. Cloud?   You are naturally going to create more animosity for teams you play regularly.  

I get that, but the conversation that I had with them was that they would cheer for anybody besides QU.  For a team that only has come on lately they sure have alot of Easterners that don't like them.  Never heard that kind of talk when Union played the Gophers in Philadelphia.  From what I could decipher, the majority of the BC crowd was cheering for Union.  And everybody I spoke with at the tourney were going for Union.

3 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I've messaged with a certain media member from out East about his disdain for Pecknold.  Also, this picture seems to indicate Union fans were cheering for us as well. (Also note the facepalm by the QU fan to their right, pretty funny)

brock-boeser-of-the-north-dakota-fightin

He just realized he could have had a V8 with his Vodka. 

4 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I've messaged with a certain media member from out East about his disdain for Pecknold.  Also, this picture seems to indicate Union fans were cheering for us as well. (Also note the facepalm by the QU fan to their right, pretty funny)

brock-boeser-of-the-north-dakota-fightin

I'm dead certain that's gfhockey in the Union College sweater.

1 minute ago, siouxstudent said:

Brad's article on Gage returning makes it sound like Thompson is leaving and will sign soon.

Too bad, would like to see him stay, but he also wouldn't be the biggest loss we've had. Would be sweet to see Ladue decide to stay. Regardless, I think both Shaw and Wolanin will step up nicely next year. I though Wolanin looked really good early in the year, then sort of level off and blended in; hopefully having a season under his belt will really help him. I could see him stepping up into a Stecher type role as far as being an offensive defenseman.