SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2016 Edition

AZSIOUX

Hope the news is true about Paul, hopefully that was also keep LJ here. Definitely surprised Paul hasn't already been signed. It sounded like that was going to be done by this past weekend. Really hope we can retain most of these guys; the only downside to that being that we would lose a ton after next season. Thats ok though, Hang 9, then reload like we always do.

18 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

I think we have a couple that could anchor the blue line, don't think there's any worries there. Be good to have him back though

I think it would be big because he's a senior and he's from Grand Forks. IMO he would be the leader all the new d-men would look up to.

51 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Hope the news is true about Paul, hopefully that was also keep LJ here. Definitely surprised Paul hasn't already been signed. It sounded like that was going to be done by this past weekend. Really hope we can retain most of these guys; the only downside to that being that we would lose a ton after next season. Thats ok though, Hang 9, then reload like we always do.

true, however by not losing underclassman some recruits will be forced to play another year of juniors which for almost all, except the obvious, would be a good thing. They will be much more ready to contribute when they show up

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I think it would be big because he's a senior and he's from Grand Forks. IMO he would be the leader all the new d-men would look up to.

i think it would probably be just as much about the fact he could skip having to get an entry level contract if he does stay another year

55 minutes ago, keikla said:

I won't criticize Anas for having to go back and forth to the locker room, but I might question the coaching staff.  It reminds me of the CC goalie during the Saturday night game of the playoffs.  It was physically and emotionally painful to watch him try to play.  I'm sure that kid wanted to be out there more than anything, but I was getting pissed at Haviland for not pulling him.  I don't care how much heart or gut a player has, at some point, coaching has to make a call about whether or not it's safe to have a player out there.

I'm not going to criticize anyone until I hear he risked his future to play.    The guy hit 1 or 2 posts.  You hit a post, that could just have easily have been a goal.  Clearly the guy was able to contribute, it just didn't quite work out for him.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, keikla said:

This is the very reason I said I 'might question' the coaching staff, because there is the chance that he couldn't further injure by playing.  But I don't like Rand Pecknold due to comments made this season and last, so I'm not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt haha.

I've seen a few posters out here make comments about not liking Rand Pecknold due to x, y and z, but have yet to see or hear what was so bad.  Anyone care to clarify?  All I've known about so far was that he wasn't happy last year when placed in Fargo...and I think he had a legitimate complaint, too.  My memory's a bit foggy on this, but weren't they a higher seed than a couple teams but got placed in Fargo due to either "integrity" reasons or someone was hosting, so they got sent here?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, keikla said:

This is the very reason I said I 'might question' the coaching staff, because there is the chance that he couldn't further injure by playing.  But I don't like Rand Pecknold due to comments made this season and last, so I'm not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt haha.

What has Pecknold had to say?

1 hour ago, UNDhoops said:

i think it would probably be just as much about the fact he could skip having to get an entry level contract if he does stay another year

I had said this exact fact earlier.  Don't think for one minute that Stetcher and him had a talk about how awesome it was to be a free agent in every sense.  Maybe Paul wants to test the market like the pick from Nashville is choosing to do?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

I had said this exact fact earlier.  Don't think for one minute that Stetcher and him had a talk about how awesome it was to be a free agent in every sense.  Maybe Paul wants to test the market like the pick from Nashville is choosing to do?

For the sake of college hockey and players that get pushed to sign after their junior seasons even though they aren't ready, I hope the NHL fixes this policy.  As someone else said, the more situations like Vessey's happen, the more likely NHL teams are going to push guys into signing after their Junior season, or even sophomore season, like L.A. tried with LaDue.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, tnt said:

For the sake of college hockey and players that get pushed to sign after their junior seasons even though they aren't ready, I hope the NHL fixes this policy.  As someone else said, the more situations like Vessey's happen, the more likely NHL teams are going to push guys into signing after their Junior season, or even sophomore season, like L.A. tried with LaDue.  

Or going the Canadian junior route where there's much more control.

It is in the best interest of college hockey to fix this

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, keikla said:

Last year before the regional he specifically stated Anas was out and couldn't play.  Then he played him anyway.  It's hard to explain without going through the work of looking up the specific quotes, but it was just douche-baggy.  Like, just say straight up if you aren't certain.  But he swore up and down that there was no way Anas would be on the ice, and low and behold, who was out for the drop of the puck?

This year it was post-game comments after the title game.  He said how we were the better team, but then he started talking about 3 obvious hits to the head that UND didn't get called on.  It was just sour grapes.

Yeah I also counted a couple two handed hacks that QU got away with. They weren't exactly the cleanest team so I thought his post game comments were a bit off base.

Just now, UNDColorado said:

Yeah I also counted a couple two handed hacks that QU got away with. They weren't exactly the cleanest team so I thought his post game comments were a bit off base.

He's not very well liked out east either. Neither is QU. They have a reputation of being a dirty team, so when their coach is whining about non calls and high hits, it rubs people the wrong way. Since his team is doing the exact thing he's complaining about. 

4 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

He's not very well liked out east either. Neither is QU. They have a reputation of being a dirty team, so when their coach is whining about non calls and high hits, it rubs people the wrong way. Since his team is doing the exact thing he's complaining about. 

Reputations can be unearned.  UND has a reputation for dirty play too, and I think that is unearned. Of course, we Sioux fans call it "physical play," which is something different. 

8 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Talking with some BU and BC fans, they all dislike QU for their style of play and attitude.  Not knowing much about QU, I was surprised that fans of both teams were cheering for the Sioux over QU.

2 minutes ago, burd said:

Reputations can be unearned.  UND has a reputation for dirty play too, and I think that is unearned. Of course, we Sioux fans call it "physical play," which is something different. 

Fair point, all I know is in my viewings of QU, they are far from innocent victims as their coach makes them out to be. 

• Upvote 1