SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Season

shep

56 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Lets just simmer down for a moment, and some can just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

My own personal opinion is that youthfulness is no excuse for stupidity.

Correct. 

Robbie Bina didn't require being hog tied and masked when he opened the squad door for oshie 

Bubba needs to put a stop to this sort of stupid activity, and I trust that he will.  No sense in sweeping it under the rug and doing nothing, seems once that happens then the next guy tries something.   Time to show him the door if that's what it takes.

2 hours ago, Milford torgerson said:
  1. I repeat: there shouldn't be a different standard to football players than hockey players.  Let's wait and see all the facts and conditions and go from there

I more of football guy than a hockey, but these situations aren't even close. If what the herald wrote is true. Also, Bina was found not guilty of obstruction or whatever they charged him with and nobody else was charged with anything other than a minor on premises. I really don't think there is any favoritism given by the university anymore. I think Bubba is the one Seibel needs to worry about. 

4 hours ago, Milford torgerson said:

We may not know the whole story but when you are in trouble with law, fair or not, you don't resist arrest.  The kid has a lot to learn yet and I'd like to see more info and the way he handles this after he is sobered up before I judge what should be done.  I wouldn't give up on the kid just yet.  Around five years ago when our hockey player Bina opened a police car door releasing a couple of teammates from arrest and they all ran away but were arrested again later all three of them played in the hockey game that next weekend.  Seems like it would be a UND double standard to come down on a football player more severly than a hockey player

There was no release of prisoners. No one ran away. They were not arrested again later after escaping. The charge against Bina was dismissed (which means the judge didn't believe that he was trying to help the others escape), the other 2 plead guilty to being minors in a bar. http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2007/07/01_binas.php

A judge has dismissed misdemeanor charges against North Dakota's Robbie Bina. Bina was accused of "aiding the escape" of two teammates who were being held in a police car.

The judge ruled that the players — Jonathan Toews and T.J. Oshie — were not attempting to escape, but just talking to Bina, 24.

The incident took place at a bar in Grand Forks on Jan. 28. Oshie and Toews were cited for being minors in a bar, a charge to which they later pleaded guilty.

Bina pleaded not guilty of trying to escape custody.

I'm not going to overreact for taking a drink outside and then the crime of resisting arrest.

Pretty low on the criminal totem pole.

I don't know if the herald article was edited after some people read it...from reading the comments here I thought he stabbed or shot someone.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Kap said:

Who appointed you team and school spokesman? 

Stupid? Yes. 1st 21 yr old to do this? No. Last? No. 

What is it like to have gone thru life without doing something stupid?

Leaving the bar with a beer is stupid, and would be grounds to sit for a game.

Resisting, kicking and being a dick to police is grounds for dismissal.

I liked Seibel on the team and he had a nice walk on story, but they need to set the precedent that this is completely unacceptable.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

What?  We are all pure as the wind driven snow......

From what I know Josh is a tremendous person and teammate.  Pure speculation, this is a drunken night he will never forgive himself for.  I am guessing the coaches and teammates will after sitting 1 game. 

Needs to sit for, at least, one game(IMO should be significantly more). can't say a slap on the wrist is ok for not cooperating with police.

I also don't buy the drunk excuse. I've been blasted with the best of them, and I've made dumb mistakes, but even in my drunkest of moments, I would never fight with police or resist them. he'll I wouldn't be uncooperative with the bouncer.

To what degree does that excuse work? fighting? resisting arrest? assault? rape? dui? at some point you need to be accountable for your choices. 

Kid could have caused a scene, calmed down and cooperated with police when they got there. Doesn't sound like that happened.

Football, hockey, basketball ... seibel, boeser, santiago. I don't care ... but this needs to be handled the right way, and not based on name, team, success or anything else.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Kap said:

I'm with you, "agree to disagree" but This shouldn't be a place to bash 21 year olds that wouldn't be bashed if they were star players. 

I've said enough now. 

Its sucks, but if it were santiago or reyes, I'd still want harsh punishment. I'd just be more disappointed in what we would lose on the field. I don't care who you are, what sport or position you play, I have more respect for the Blue.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Who would have thought at the end of the 3rd quarter against South Dakota, that we would be 8-2.

There you go,  hope the Seibel fiasco doesn't distract the team as much as it did us yesterday

• Upvote 1

The issue is in the public eye. The civil authorities will deal with it. 

The issue is in the public eye. Coach Schweigert will deal with it as well. (And the people that hire Bubba will be watching him.) 

I'm not concerned about how this will be handled. It'll be done right with the right consequences. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Milford torgerson said:

We may not know the whole story but when you are in trouble with law, fair or not, you don't resist arrest.  The kid has a lot to learn yet and I'd like to see more info and the way he handles this after he is sobered up before I judge what should be done.  I wouldn't give up on the kid just yet.  Around five years ago when our hockey player Bina opened a police car door releasing a couple of teammates from arrest and they all ran away but were arrested again later all three of them played in the hockey game that next weekend.  Seems like it would be a UND double standard to come down on a football player more severly than a hockey player

Interesting how a story develops.:blush:

5 minutes ago, AJS said:

This isn't a fun situation and nobody can defend what he did, but some people need to pump the breaks a little. Kick him off the team? What he did was extremely stupid, but settle down. Talk about a mob mentality with some of you, I'll never understand it. Is it a morally superior thing? Do you feel better about yourselves putting down a 21 year old?

I do think the suspension needs to be more than a game, so maybe with where we're at with the season just suspend him for the rest of the year? He'll learn from his mistake and should grow as a person because of it.

Agree 100% But some people insist on a "one strike and you're out" philosophy.

9 minutes ago, AJS said:

This isn't a fun situation and nobody can defend what he did, but some people need to pump the breaks a little. Kick him off the team? What he did was extremely stupid, but settle down. Talk about a mob mentality with some of you, I'll never understand it. Is it a morally superior thing? Do you feel better about yourselves putting down a 21 year old?

I do think the suspension needs to be more than a game, so maybe with where we're at with the season just suspend him for the rest of the year? He'll learn from his mistake and should grow as a person because of it.

Even if you don't kick him off the team, maybe you bump him back to a walk on. I guess that is truly a decision for the coaches. I don't think this has anything to do with people needing a sense of superiority. Hell if it was my kid, he'd be far more worried about me that what kind of punishment the coaches dish out.

Young and drunk is not an excuse. It can be an excuse for doing something dumb, like taking a beer out of a bar. Thats dumb. Fighting with bouncers and resisting the police is beyond that, I don't care if you are drunk or sober, old or young. If you didn't do anything wrong, then just follow the police's instructions and it'll all be over quickly.

I think this could be grounds for dismissal from the team. Maybe a little more appropriate to say he is done for the year, and if he wants to play again, he needs to earn his spot back. I'll admit that while I think punishment should be strict, Bubba and crew are in a much better position to make that call.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Agree 100% But some people insist on a "one strike and you're out" philosophy.

Depends, how severe is the strike. Guy hits his gf, are you prepared to say, its ok, he still has too strikes?

I agree on giving someone another chance for something really minor (minor in consumption). But resisting police is definitely beyond that. Heck we had kids dismissed from the team for a little weed. Like I said, I trust that Bubba will take care of this the right way. Whatever that is.

10 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Its sucks, but if it were santiago or reyes, I'd still want harsh punishment. I'd just be more disappointed in what we would lose on the field. I don't care who you are, what sport or position you play, I have more respect for the Blue.

My family has a lot of respect for the Blue.  Look up 2 little girls, 6 & 5, that decided to forgo their birthday presents in place of a free will offering for officer Moszer's family.  (over $500 raised)  

Football players, in general, have a mean/aggressive streak.  If they didn't, they'd be in swimming or soccer, or some other lame sport.  I totally saw this happen back in the day.  (mean/aggressive drunk)  Most times the teammates take care of the situation, obviously in this case things got out of hand with the wrong dudes, the police.  I am confident and will support what the coaches come up with.

• Upvote 2