SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Season

shep

40 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I lost track. Which injured players might be back in 2 or 3 weeks? Studs is banged up. Taj Rich, A.J. Stockwell, Luke Stanley - anybody else??

I would guess all of them will be back in 2-3 weeks. Stockwell tried to give it a go but came out after two plays because he wasn't ready. Taj and Luke have been on the shelf for a while so I am optimistic for their return. 

14 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I just hope we can get him back for next season.

That would be huge! Just realized Mercer was a Jr. and we'll get him for another year. I thought he was a senior for some reason. So that is fantastic too, especially with some of this chemistry that seems to be developing. I was a little underwhelmed early in the season, which was probably wrong, as he was new and needed to adjust. 

Having Clive and Demun back could be huge for this team though. Wanzek and Toivenen will continue improving. And Stanley is certainly solid. All of a sudden our WR core looks pretty darn good, and can hopefully open up some room to run.

We'll have a tougher schedule next season, but also an even better team to compete with. Bubba has definitely done this the right way.

2 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Hate to be the guy to bring this up, but right here right now is why I voted that UND retire the name.  There would be no talk about hosting any playoff games.  Imagine having this team win a Big Sky title, get a seed and a bye, and then have to go play on the road?  Being under NCAA sanctions was simply not an option.  Retiring the Fighting Sioux name was tough, but being able to host playoff game is one of he results of it that we can all feel good about.

Not just for football. Volleyball as well. Huge for them to be able to host.

Any OL geniuses on hear that can analyze Bryce Blair's play thus far? The way I see it, these are extremely valuable reps that could pay off in 2 or 3 years as he becomes a veteran on the line. How is his technique, because his size is very underwhelming at this point. This kid needs to take advantage of that meal plan and start putting back some cheeseburgers, haha. Seriously though, hope he can pack on some muscle, because if he is getting good reps as a young guy, hopefully he can add the size to go with it.

6 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Any OL geniuses on hear that can analyze Bryce Blair's play thus far? The way I see it, these are extremely valuable reps that could pay off in 2 or 3 years as he becomes a veteran on the line. How is his technique, because his size is very underwhelming at this point. This kid needs to take advantage of that meal plan and start putting back some cheeseburgers, haha. Seriously though, hope he can pack on some muscle, because if he is getting good reps as a young guy, hopefully he can add the size to go with it.

I'm not an OL guru by any means, but he hasn't played badly.  You can definitely tell he is young, though, as he has had some troubles with experienced DEs.  But, if he gets the technique down better and puts on 30 more pounds, he will be a very good player for us.  Plays with a mean streak and seems to be pretty strong and agile.

16 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Not just for football. Volleyball as well. Huge for them to be able to host.

Unless the Big Sky had some sanctions that I don't remember, that shouldn't have affected hosting, since it's not an NCAA event. 

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Unless the Big Sky had some sanctions that I don't remember, that shouldn't have affected hosting, since it's not an NCAA event. 

Yeah, I'm not sure how that would work. Its still a post season event, and as BSC is part of the NCAA, I don't know if it is impacted or not. 

8 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure how that would work. Its still a post season event, and as BSC is part of the NCAA, I don't know if it is impacted or not. 

It wouldn't be.  It's a Big Sky event not an NCAA event.  Similar to how the hockey team would be able to wear Sioux jerseys during regular season and WCHA playoffs but not in NCAA tournament.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Obviously he's very  "green" yet.....hasn't played enough mins to get a true gauge but yes....he needs another 30-40 lbs.  What I like though is the leverage and initial push that he has so far demonstrated.   Think he will be just fine when the weight gets added 

4 hours ago, Old Time Hockey said:

Not sure if mentioned in this thread or not, but sounds like Johansson (Fargo kid) is probably gonna leave UM.  Also sounds like he has higher interest in UND than the Ag School.  

That simply cannot be true.  Don'tcha know no kid would ever choose UND over NDSU to play football. :) 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Old Time Hockey said:

Not sure if mentioned in this thread or not, but sounds like Johansson (Fargo kid) is probably gonna leave UM.  Also sounds like he has higher interest in UND than the Ag School.  

Say this is legit and it does happen, would be come in as a running back or a linebacker?

5 hours ago, southpaw said:

It wouldn't be.  It's a Big Sky event not an NCAA event.  Similar to how the hockey team would be able to wear Sioux jerseys during regular season and WCHA playoffs but not in NCAA tournament.

what would have happened if we would have gotten a top 8 seed with the nickname? had to go to the winner of the play-in? that would really suck

24 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

If Bubba doesn't win coach of the year I say that's another example of how UND will always be an outsider in the Big Sky and should bolt if given the right chance. Also if we finish #9 and on the road that is proof that the Big Sky Rep in the room isn't going to bat for us (two years in a row). 

Obviously Bubba has done a tremendous job and is very deserving of Coach of they Year honors.  I'd give it to him.  But I'm not sure that it is a slam dunk, when you look at what Eastern Washington has done this season.  They did not make the playoffs last year either, and have been extremely impressive this season.

Side note:  how long can EWU keep Beau Baldwin in Cheney given what he's accomplished there?

1 hour ago, shep said:

I'm guessing Baldwin is gone soon. Oregon has gone bad in the post Chip Kelly era, playing well with his recruits the year he left and down after that.  Not sure if that's spot for him but it's interesting.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Chip Kelly end up back at Oregon. 

Pretty tough for FCS coaches to move up to a P5 job. Can't think of any to make that move in the recent past. With all the success Bohl had (albeit with plenty of baggage) he didn't land a P5 job. Baldwin may move on, but it won't be for a P5 head job immediately.