SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Season

shep

2 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

My family has a lot of respect for the Blue.  Look up 2 little girls, 6 & 5, that decided to forgo their birthday presents in place of a free will offering for officer Moszer's family.  (over $500 raised)  

Football players, in general, have a mean/aggressive streak.  If they didn't, they'd be in swimming or soccer, or some other lame sport.  I totally saw this happen back in the day.  (mean/aggressive drunk)  Most times the teammates take care of the situation, obviously in this case things got out of hand with the wrong dudes, the police.  I am confident and will support what the coaches come up with.

Not going to disagree with that. I totally get the mean, aggressive edge. I was a wrestler, got have a little edge there as well, and I am sure the coaches will come up with an appropriate action. Hope they find a balance of being firm but fair. Ticks me off to see a kid resisting police (and I still don't condone the too young or too drunk excuse), but also need to look at the big picture; does he have an pattern of issues, are there other factors (as GeaxSioux has mentions, supplements/med reacting with alcohol, etc.), and how does he respond to the situation this week (If I were Seibel, I would be at the police station this morning to make a in person apology to the officers, probably one to the bouncers at Joe Blacks as well).

If he is done for the year, and has to miss out on playoffs, I would think that would be a pretty impactful punishment on a kid. After digesting the new a bit, I think punishment needs to be firm, but you need to leave the door open for the kid to earn his way back. Frattin was a pretty good example ... kid got in trouble a few times, was dismissed, and rather than going pro, earned his way back onto the team. Hopefully something similar can happen here; not for the benefit of the team, but for the long term benefit of this kid.

18 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Depends, how severe is the strike. Guy hits his gf, are you prepared to say, its ok, he still has too strikes?

I agree on giving someone another chance for something really minor (minor in consumption). But resisting police is definitely beyond that. Heck we had kids dismissed from the team for a little weed. Like I said, I trust that Bubba will take care of this the right way. Whatever that is.

I think everyone is on the same page that there are certain situations where if you are found guilty, you are gone, no questions ask.

I guess we are just in a disagreement with how severe this situation is. Like I said earlier, you can't defend it, but I also don't think this is a get out your pitchforks offense either. I can guarantee that nobody feels worse about this than Josh and this would be a major wake up call. I'm sticking by suspending him for the remaining of the year and that's it. No loss of scholarship, no kicking him off the team. He learns, there is an adequate punishment, we move on.

Just now, AJS said:

I think everyone is on the same page that there are certain situations where if you are found guilty, you are gone, no questions ask.

I guess we are just in a disagreement with how severe this situation is. Like I said earlier, you can't defend it, but I also don't think this is a get out your pitchforks offense either. I can guarantee that nobody feels worse about this than Josh and this would be a major wake up call. I'm sticking by suspending him for the remaining of the year and that's it. No loss of scholarship, no kicking him off the team. He learns, there is an adequate punishment, we move on.

I agree, this is probably a pretty adequate response, especially if Josh handles everything like a man this week. Missing out on playoffs is probably really going to hurt for this kid. That is probably a pretty fair, yet firm, punishment.

11 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Leaving the bar with a beer is stupid, and would be grounds to sit for a game.

Resisting, kicking and being a dick to police is grounds for dismissal.

I liked Seibel on the team and he had a nice walk on story, but they need to set the precedent that this is completely unacceptable.

Leaving the bar with a beer is not grounds for sitting a game.  Good lord.  

Throwing a fit after not being allowed to and getting arrested is.  

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Leaving the bar with a beer is not grounds for sitting a game.  Good lord.  

Throwing a fit after not being allowed to and getting arrested is.  

Leaving the bar with a beer is enough to get you in trouble with police, and in the newspaper, how does that not justify any sort of punishment? Jeez, getting a minor is enough to get you punished, how is public consumption any different?

At least that is pretty minor. Heck I did it when I was in college. Walked out of joe black with a buddy and we both walked down the street with our beers. Of course, we call his buddy, who was an on duty cop, and he came and gave us a ride home (made us ditch our beer before we got in the cop car though).

Like I said, I've done stupid things at that age too. But had a cop stopped me or questioned me, I wouldn't resist either.

Question:

Can the Dean of students, who gets the police report, and will get to have a meeting with Mr. Seibel in the near future (this week), overwrite any punishments that Bubba can give severity wise?  Or is it an agreement that each program can individually handle punishments for their athletes?

If reported is true. A few miles around the track. As in 10 miles since Josh had that much energy to burn after a game altitude. And a game suspension. But I don't think he should be kicked off the team or school. Those punishments should be reserved for those that are confirmed to have committed a felony (i.e., sexual assault, grand larceny, DUI resulting in injury or death, assault resulting in hospital stay of the victim, hate crimes) 

Josh was just drunk and disorderly in comparison. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:
1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Depends, how severe is the strike. Guy hits his gf, are you prepared to say, its ok, he still has too strikes?

I agree on giving someone another chance for something really minor (minor in consumption). But resisting police is definitely beyond that. Heck we had kids dismissed from the team for a little weed. Like I said, I trust that Bubba will take care of this the right way. Whatever that is.

You hit a women and that counts as 3 strikes because you are done.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Leaving the bar with a beer is enough to get you in trouble with police, and in the newspaper, how does that not justify any sort of punishment? Jeez, getting a minor is enough to get you punished, how is public consumption any different?

At least that is pretty minor. Heck I did it when I was in college. Walked out of joe black with a buddy and we both walked down the street with our beers. Of course, we call his buddy, who was an on duty cop, and he came and gave us a ride home (made us ditch our beer before we got in the cop car though).

Like I said, I've done stupid things at that age too. But had a cop stopped me or questioned me, I wouldn't resist either.

You said leaving the bar with a beer.  Not getting caught for public consumption.  Those are two very different things and the second takes getting caught by actual police, not the bar.  

18 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

There was no release of prisoners. No one ran away. They were not arrested again later after escaping. The charge against Bina was dismissed (which means the judge didn't believe that he was trying to help the others escape), the other 2 plead guilty to being minors in a bar. http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2007/07/01_binas.php

no matter how the media presented this, Bina, toews and Oshie were given nearly a free pass on this deal.  It helps when the lawyers and judges of the town are all hockey fans.  I say give the football player the same second chance and if he reoffends  then pull his scholly and kick him off the team

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Milford torgerson said:

no matter how the media presented this, Bina, toews and Oshie were given nearly a free pass on this deal.  It helps when the lawyers and judges of the town are all hockey fans.  I say give the football player the same second chance and if he reoffends  then pull his scholly and kick him off the team

You mean the free pass of being charged with and pleading guilty to being minors in a bar?

4 minutes ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

So if Studsrud can't play this weekend, and we get a first round bye, is any one concerned with him being rusty? Or how about chemistry with his receivers?

I don't think so. I would've been last year but with his experience and it being late season it shouldn't become a factor. I think where he's at as a QB his preparation against his opponent and his timing with WR's can be established in workouts. I know what everyone is thinking that game timing and practice timing are two different things but like I said his game experience should over come that obstacle. I hope.   

1 hour ago, ND1 said:

One game suspension on paper, but I bet he doesn't see the field the rest of the year 

I

If that were true, then why not just can him for the rest of season. It would appease the folks who want that and allegedly send a message to the team.

2 hours ago, ND1 said:

One game suspension on paper, but I bet he doesn't see the field the rest of the year 

Bubba said "for this game" so I'll assume it's a one game suspension until he says something else. He also said "after all of the facts" so that means the paper may not have given us all of them.