SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Season

shep

QB Prater, 6-2, 205 (Griz); LB Corby Richman (Oriska, N.D.), 6-0, 230; WR Zak Hernandez, 6-0, 195 (Grafton); and San Diego-area prep DE Colton Hessenflow, 6-4, 230, are your school-start additions. Did I miss anyone? Hernandez played spring ball and maybe Richman, if I recall correctly.

As for the two deep, after watching much of fall camp, some surprises are Alex Reed getting the nod over Mercer (maybe Mercer needs more time to get acclimated to the offense) I thought Mercer had a better camp. Also, I thought Chris Carter might make the two-deep over Holm. Though CC has had is struggles in the past, I still thought he had a better camp over the rookie. If Cloyd, indeed keeps his RS this year, all I can say is look out Big Sky and maybe all of FCS for the next four seasons.

18 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

QB Prater, 6-2, 205 (Griz); LB Corby Richman (Oriska, N.D.), 6-0, 230; WR Zak Hernandez, 6-0, 195 (Grafton); and San Diego-area prep DE Colton Hessenflow, 6-4, 230, are your school-start additions. Did I miss anyone? Hernandez played spring ball and maybe Richman, if I recall correctly.

http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/2016/08/22/school-start-additions-to-roster/

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Understand you're not trying to be combative, but let me clarify my comment. I certainly didn't mean to slight Heidelbaugh, Bolinski, or Boltman. My intent was that there it is excellent to add depth and competition to the most important position on the field. Technically we have an unknown commodity in Heidelbaugh, Bolinksi, Boltman and Prater; BUT if we want to read between the lines, Prater was above Simis on the depth chart for a pretty strong MT program, and would have played except for injury. Now that doesn't actually mean anything, other than the kid has shown potential and should provide additional competition. SO, not saying he is the next guy after Studs, or that he'll ever start, or that he'll ever even see the field. Just that he adds depth in an important place.

As for the leadership piece, he definitely brings something that nobody else can. Will he have to earn his respect? Of course. But between his military and life experience, that provides a lot of experience unique to someone that is playing college football. I think most of us know how much a person typically matures between (18-22 y/o) and (25-27 y/o). My point being he brings a maturity to the team, that could be good for other players to see.

I am on board with you!  Thanks for the added comment.

41 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

As for the two deep, after watching much of fall camp, some surprises are Alex Reed getting the nod over Mercer (maybe Mercer needs more time to get acclimated to the offense) I thought Mercer had a better camp. Also, I thought Chris Carter might make the two-deep over Holm. Though CC has had is struggles in the past, I still thought he had a better camp over the rookie. If Cloyd, indeed keeps his RS this year, all I can say is look out Big Sky and maybe all of FCS for the next four seasons.

Mercer has a bad hammy.  Haven't been impressed with alex

I thought Chris carter was looking really good in fall ball as well.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Longtime fan said:

That's right.... Mercer went down right in front of me with the bum hammy the day it happened. I forgot about that. He was walking on it gingerly but ok afterward, but those things probably feel worse the next day after the adrenaline settles down.  I haven't seen him for several days so I was unsure what is status was.

51 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Hopefully he can come back from the Hammy ok. I heard he was looking pretty good for someone who wasn't familiar with the system yet. Also heard similar things about Reed, not as impressive as had been hoped for. Maybe he'll surprise.

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

Maybe this is a preposterous statement, given that Cloyd has not even played in a college football game ... but you've at least seen in practice. Is it fair to say, he could be UND's best tight end since Kleinsasser? Or at least have the most potential since Kleinsasser? Could be way off base, but just curious.

5 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Agreed.  At minimum you should see plenty of Mason Bennett on 3rd down in nickel packages.

Good to know, I figured he we still get plenty of playing time. Can't express how awesome it is to see this team start developing depth (hopefully we'll see this with the dbacks soon). Bennett has been pretty highly touted, so to have a player with that kind of skill, that deep on the chart is pretty exciting. Hope these guys all step up and play big ... especially the first 2 weeks. Would be awesome to come home and play USD with a 2-0 record. Can't wait for next week!

29 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Maybe this is a preposterous statement, given that Cloyd has not even played in a college football game ... but you've at least seen in practice. Is it fair to say, he could be UND's best tight end since Kleinsasser? Or at least have the most potential since Kleinsasser? Could be way off base, but just curious.

I would say my comment is based on potential. He's got all the tools, just needs to learn the system. Plus he'll only get bigger and faster. 

4 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

4 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

I would say my comment is based on potential. He's got all the tools, just needs to learn the system. Plus he'll only get bigger and faster. 

Sorry Teeder, I just realized how poorly I had phrased my comment. I didn't mean to insinuate your statement was preposterous. I absolutely agree that Cloyd will be a force over the next 4 years. I meant to ask, in general, is the idea that Cloyd could be the next best TE since Kleinsasser a preposterous statement? Again, I know it is too early to say for sure, but in general .. based on potential.

7 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

I am not sure how I feel having Cole Reyes as the second punt / kick returner. At least Santiago has depth behind him.

I'm not on board having two of our most important players on the return duties.  I'm going to be cringing and praying on every punt and kickoff return! 

12 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

I'm not on board having two of our most important players on the return duties.  I'm going to be cringing and praying on every punt and kickoff return! 

There's got to be two other guys we can throw out there. Granted, those two are probably really good at it.

16 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

There's got to be two other guys we can throw out there. Granted, those two are probably really good at it.

Try throwing Iwarri in there, or pull Secrest's redshirt. Heck Grady did it in HS, give him a chance :glare: no?  :(Not so much? ???

Would love to see Gordon out there.  He seems like a perfect fit for that job with his style of running.  A little reckless abandon with quick jukes and bursts.  He's talented, works extremely hard and is currently buried on the depth chart at rb.  This should be his opportunity! 

Alex reed could be another guy for this duty.  We have become deeper at wr and while he's not a "burner" he has a good build and and vision for the job

when healthy I would add mercer as well. 

It is nice to see the depth chart but I don't think it really means all that much at UND.  The d-line will rotate a ton and the LB's will as well to a lessor extent.  In the end the second and maybe even the third players on the depth chart might play as much or more than the starter. 

Who would be the next guys on OLB and ILB depth chart?