SiouxSports.com Forum

So I Guess Fighting Hawks It Is

geaux_sioux

So I did a little sketching last night and then some hand rendering today. These aren't finished by any means and are just free hand concepts that still need something behind them to add ground. With that said, what do you guys think. Be brutal and honest, I'd like to make these as good as possible so negative feedback is more useful for making improvements. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'd buy it on as a shirt or a hat, which is a pretty good litmus test, if you ask me. I agree with the comment on the back feather being kinda big, but I didn't notice until other people said it.

Also, I think you can use your phone's camera instead of screenshotting your own snapchats :)

• Upvote 2

Question is- are the people in charge this smart?

Probably not, it makes too much sense to do something like this to appease the ruffled feathers.  Very much like the concept and effort put into this. A tweak here and there and you might actually have something "unique" in the world of bird nicknames.  The problem with concepts like these is that it tends to get hopes up, that will ultimately be dashed by the "people in charge". 

So I did a little sketching last night and then some hand rendering today. These aren't finished by any means and are just free hand concepts that still need something behind them to add ground. With that said, what do you guys think. Be brutal and honest, I'd like to make these as good as possible so negative feedback is more useful for making improvements. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Great work, you obviously have some real artistic talent.  I love incorporating the "style" of the old logo into the new head.  Might be one of the better hawk head logos I've seen.

• Upvote 3

Just talked to my daughter, who is a senior at UND. Asked her what the reaction on campus was to the new nickname. She said most everyone she knows was disappointed. Really, said I, I thought the students all wanted Fighting Hawks? She said most that she knew wanted NoDaks. "It was all the OLD alumni that voted for Fighting Hawks", said she. Just a little different perspective than heard here.

• Upvote 2

Not my top choice by any means but hindsight, everyone should have seen it coming. You ever watched a group of people try to order pizza? They're going to end up with pepperoni. You have a huge, diverse group try to pick a nickname, you're going to end up with something safe/generic. All stakeholder groups wanted a say, so it had to be all-inclusive, well this is what you get. The other option was to come up with 2 or 3 unique options with no outside input and then you have people complaining about not having input, choices being forced on them and on top of it, a huge majority hates the options because unique things are polarizing by nature.

The University of North Dakota made one nickname great, time for them to do the same with another.

This guy did.  (same guy quoted in the Herald piece this morning)

http://www.emblemetric.com/

Read about half-way down and he basically predicts this months ago.

• Upvote 2

Probably not, it makes too much sense to do something like this to appease the ruffled feathers.  Very much like the concept and effort put into this. A tweak here and there and you might actually have something "unique" in the world of bird nicknames.  The problem with concepts like these is that it tends to get hopes up, that will ultimately be dashed by the "people in charge". 

Here's the great part…you'll have a chance to offer up your two cents about what makes sense.

http://und.edu/features/2015/11/final-nickname-runoff-vote.cfm

The selected vendor will work with UND stakeholders to develop potential graphic identities.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Your talents are far superior to mine. I probably would have drawn a bird, like little kids do .... looking eerily similar to the letter   m

Edited by siouxfan512

This guy did.  (same guy quoted in the Herald piece this morning)

http://www.emblemetric.com/

Read about half-way down and he basically predicts this months ago.

Nice find…I hadn't come across his blog before.

This inexplicable avian affinity has quickly transformed from quirk to aberration to phenomenon to trend to provable fact.

I wonder if you could get anything close to even money odds if such things were open to gambling.  

Are there no "safe" nicknames beyond birds?  What does this say about contemporary US society?

I still think the wings from this could work as 1 of hopefully 2 hawk logos.

12243418_10101604529512085_9195564704234

Get rid of the bird head my parent's cat left on the doorstep and the wings aren't so terrible.  I kind of like the wings on the helmet actually :ohmy:  Ditch the "UND Fighting Hawks" and "Home of the U" wording and just put an interlocking ND above the wings.  I've resigned myself to accept that Hawks will win.  I don't like it, I still voted for Roughriders yesterday, and this weekend is a good example of why hawks shouldn't be chosen, but there's a 95% chance it's the name so I guess I'll get used to it.  If we have to be the Hawks, I think I'd prefer to just go with a "wing(s)" logo rather than the full bird in an effort to differentiate ourselves from the dozens of other colleges/universities with the name.

image.jpg

image.jpg

That's way better than the eventual logo we'll get stuck with.  I love how you didn't just plaster a headdress onto the birds head (Which is lazy and would probably piss off the NCAA), and incorporated those feathers into the actual body of the hawk. Definitely reminiscent of the Sioux head, I like it!!

• Upvote 1

If the NCAA has a problem with UND incorporating the feathers from the old logo into the new one then we are done as a society.  But I honestly would not put it past them. 

They have already made their point with making William and Mary remove the feather from the W&M. I don't think there would be an issue with some sort of incorporation but to blatantly put a headdress on the head of a hawk is just poking the bear. It needs to be done tactfully and tastefully which, as some random designs that have popped up have shown, is very possible.

bc06caba-751f-5281-b776-7c137e08bd77.pre

That's way better than the eventual logo we'll get stuck with.  I love how you didn't just plaster a headdress onto the birds head (Which is lazy and would probably piss off the NCAA), and incorporated those feathers into the actual body of the hawk. Definitely reminiscent of the Sioux head, I like it!!

I really like that one.!

Talk about a glorious trifecta of detachment from reality, and failure, by Dr. Kelley:

• built in obscenity sure to offend some: the F'Hawk you say ... 
  • quite simply: http://www.howaboutwekeepsioux.com -- Dr. K: You got punked here
  • "ruffling the feathers" of another NDUS member

Not only did the man not see the F'Hawk-ing obvious coming at him, he missed the whole acronym (HAWKS = How About We Keep Sioux) angle because he and his minions weren't paying attention, and he missed all the people here pointing out the number of schools that go from Native to <adjective> Hawk and how pathetic that is as it's been done at least a dozen times before.  

The man took a failed process to a whimpering conclusion, and yet was able to have the epic fail extend beyond that. 

Dare I say, in the end, he proved that he F'Hawk-ed all this up. 

Edited by The Sicatoka

Talk about a glorious trifecta of detachment from reality, and failure, by Dr. Kelley:

• built in obscenity sure to offend some: the F'Hawk you say ... 
  • quite simply: http://www.howaboutwekeepsioux.com -- Dr. K: You got punked here
  • "ruffling the feathers" of another NDUS member

Not only did the man not see the F'Hawk-ing obvious coming at him, he missed the whole acronym (HAWKS = How About We Keep Sioux) angle because he and his minions weren't paying attention, and he missed all the people here pointing out the number of schools that go from Native to <adjective> Hawk and how pathetic that is as it's been done at least a dozen times before.  

The man took a failed process to a whimpering conclusion, and yet was able to have the epic fail extend beyond that. 

Dare I say, in the end, he proved that he F'Hawk-ed all this up. 

Weren't you in the "pick a new nickname and move on" group?  Or was it just the "pick a new nickname and then complain about it" group? 

• Upvote 3

I get a kick out of all of you putting the gay pics, the angry bird, f'hawk talk stuff like of Roughriders won none of it woyld happen! Or Nodaks for that matter. Why dont you face reality....any new nickname would breed morons doing this!

Yes, even if we had become the Roughriders people would be posting stuff about it. But at least we would have a cool, unique nickname to support. 

• Upvote 4

Weren't you in the "pick a new nickname and move on" group?  Or was it just the "pick a new nickname and then complain about it" group? 

Sic was in the 'control what is yours to control' group...as far as complaining/discussing the nickname, he is hardly unique (much like the Hawks name) in that respect.  

They have already made their point with making William and Mary remove the feather from the W&M. I don't think there would be an issue with some sort of incorporation but to blatantly put a headdress on the head of a hawk is just poking the bear. It needs to be done tactfully and tastefully which, as some random designs that have popped up have shown, is very possible.

bc06caba-751f-5281-b776-7c137e08bd77.pre

They removed the feathers because they kept the name the Tribe.

• Upvote 1

Weren't you in the "pick a new nickname and move on" group?  Or was it just the "pick a new nickname and then complain about it" group.

Rather than shooting the messenger, refute the message.  

PS - The day I throw a tantrum, everyone will know it. That message is stark, honest commentary. As I said, refute it. 

Edited by The Sicatoka