SiouxSports.com Forum

So I Guess Fighting Hawks It Is

geaux_sioux

As someone who grew up in GF, loved the Sioux, watches 90% of hockey games, has traveled to see them many times, was a staple at the FInal Five, but otherwise has no affiliation to UND, having attended Minnesota for undergrad and business school, and not having lived a full year in GF since 1993...well, its really a lame, generic nickname.

You can argue that it keeps the tradition of "FIghting" and that there will be no controversy whatsoever, so it is expediant and safe, but in the end, it is completely undifferentiated.

I'm surprised I care this much this morning, but whatever.

Going forward, I hope they do as much as possible to incorporate the four feathers from the old logo into the new one.

• Upvote 2

It is what is it.  At some point we will all be defending it, especially to those varmint lovers to the south.  It still makes me laugh that they can make fun of any nickname when they are a rodent a level below the gerbil, and one that is meant to be exterminated.  

Wow what a terrible choice.  Sad day.  How did such a bland name make it this far?  I would have been somewhat disappointed with RR but it could have lived with it.  Several months ago I never saw this one materializing.

Edited by scpa0305
  • Upvote 4