SiouxSports.com Forum

So I Guess Fighting Hawks It Is

geaux_sioux

There sure were a lot of smug people on stage today.  

I agree with this.  Ill probably accept hawks eventually, but after seeing kelley be so GD smug about this announcement, watch them think anyone gave a damn about that stupid damn video.. I can't care for him for anyone involved from this point out. 

Posts like this are why I have my poster name as my own name. I feel like if you're are gonna call someone out, and say good riddance to their leaving, you shouldn't do it anonymously.

I agree with this.  Ill probably accept hawks eventually, but after seeing kelley be so GD smug about this announcement, watch them think anyone gave a damn about that stupid damn video.. I can't care for him for anyone involved from this point out. 

Posts like this are why I have my poster name as my own name. I feel like if you're are gonna call someone out, and say good riddance to their leaving, you shouldn't do it anonymously.

Seriously, they were so tone deaf it was pathetic. Who was that clown with the white beard trying to get people to yell go fighting hawks? I'm glad at least one of those morons is out of here. The grins on all three of their faces really struck a nerve with me. Faison was the only one who seemed to get that this wasn't exactly a celebration of a great victory.

• Upvote 3

#FightingHawksSucks

I can't wait for the next NDSU game..  so we can get a new tradition started:

NDSU fans:  Fighting Hawks Suck!!

UND fans reply:  We know

NDSU fans:  Fighting Hawks Suck!!

UND fans reply:  We know

wash rinse repeat....  I think I am going to like this new nickname.

No that one died with the Sioux retirement. It's in the past.

I am confident there with be much better chants directed at all you Hawk Suckers. 

• Upvote 2

Seriously, they were so tone deaf it was pathetic. Who was that clown with the white beard trying to get people to yell go fighting hawks? I'm glad at least one of those morons is out of here. The grins on all three of their faces really struck a nerve with me. Faison was the only one who seemed to get that this wasn't exactly a celebration of a great victory.

I was next to some guys who booed him at the football game this past weekend, and a lady on the opposite side of me acted disgusted and asked "really? " them. If it woulda been this weekend I woulda boo'ed too and told the lady off. I don't even wanna see him anymore.  He seems like a nice guy whenever you meet him, but I just don't trust him and I feel he's alien to the state. 

I was next to some guys who booed him at the football game this past weekend, and a lady on the opposite side of me acted disgusted and asked "really? " them. If it woulda been this weekend I woulda boo'ed too and told the lady off. I don't even wanna see him anymore.  He seems like a nice guy whenever you meet him, but I just don't trust him and I feel he's alien to the state. 

He is a nice guy but he just doesn't get 'it'. He's not in touch with reality. It's like his mind is constantly in a state of Berkley or Boulder. He's the wrong kind of idealist and we get to pay the consequences. How in the hell did he end up as president anyway?

• Upvote 3

I don't even wanna see him anymore.  He seems like a nice guy whenever you meet him, but I just don't trust him and I feel he's alien to the state. 

If Kelly was the pres for a stretch in time without a forced nickname retirement and announcement of a replacement I'm thinking you would think positively about him and his legacy here.  just my opinion

If Kelly was the pres for a stretch in time without a forced nickname retirement and announcement of a replacement I'm thinking you would think positively about him and his legacy here.  just my opinion

And napoleon would have been the best general ever without that waterloo place.

I'm fairly thought out on the matter and can weigh both his positives  (which are significant ) and negatives. You can't manufacture trust or understanding.  

Will be interesting to see how much the name is forced on the teams - football team has never had any name other than North Dakota on their jerseys but that may change - there is going to be a ton of "Forced Fan Fun" surrounding this name. I'll say it again there is no connection because a person's acceptance of this name and their support of UND. I hope UND keeps the use of the name subtle - I hope we never hear the sound of a screaming hawk in The Ralph. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I get a kick out of all of you putting the gay pics, the angry bird, f'hawk talk stuff like of Roughriders won none of it woyld happen! Or Nodaks for that matter. Why dont you face reality....any new nickname would breed morons doing this!

Heaven forbid people try to bring some humor to the situation.  It is actually possible to make a joke about the Fighting Hawks nickname while also realizing that any of the 5 nicknames left would have prompted the same and, at the end of the day, we'll support the University of North Dakota.  A sense of humor and a sense of reality are not mutually exclusive.

Will be interesting to see how much the name is forced on the teams - football team has never had any name other than North Dakota on their jerseys but that may change - there is going to be a ton of "Forced Fan Fun" surrounding this name. I'll say it again there is no connection because a person's acceptance of this name and their support of UND. I hope UND keeps the use of the name subtle - I hope we never hear the sound of a screaming hawk in The Ralph. 

This is the next battle line.  I hope the administration leaves it up to each program how much they want to incorporate the nickname and logo into their uniforms, locker rooms, culture, etc.  

Since the football program never incorporated the Sioux nickname that much, I'm not expecting to see any Hawks on the uniforms.  Bubba seems to be a traditionalist, so that's another reason I don't expect a major change.  The hockey program, and REA, are the big wild cards.  

One?

In the article he quoted, yes, one.  I'm not a jock sniffer and don't follow the players on twitter.  Hence the "care to elaborate" part.  

• Upvote 1

Oh really? Then why was there a large part of the UND faculty that had a vote of no confidence?

One?

A few people give their opinion without ripping into the selection and you question their intelligence.  Maybe I should question the intelligence of the football player that was on the committee.  What is it about the definition of "unique" that he and the committee don't understand. I thought that was self explanatory  Say what you want about how UND hockey ties itself to the Sioux nickname and culture more than other teams, but it seems to have worked much better for them than it has for the other programs, and they are playing at the top level of competition. 

Edited by tnt

People will get over it. 

For some it will take a year, for others 5 years.

For those who "never" will accept the nickname change, time heals all wounds.

Yes, it's difficult to move away from a name and logo that's been around for so long and stood for so much history and tradition; however, with continual exposure to "Fighting Hawks" and the associated logos, uniforms, merchandise, etc., people will transition. Everyone will adjust at their own pace.

Bottomline, this is just a nickname. If you honestly support the Univeristy of North Dakota, you will come around sooner or later.

Go Fighting Hawks!

• Upvote 2