SiouxSports.com Forum

So I Guess Fighting Hawks It Is

geaux_sioux

the football player on the committee is a chemical engineering student who already completed his undergrad degree with a high GPA and is working on his masters.  Questioning his intelligence won't get you very far.

Karl Goering was also on the committee. Should we question his intelligence too?

Yes. 

• Upvote 1

What "national scene"?  The same one that Cal-State Fullerton baseball and Johns Hopkins lacrosse are on?  The "national scene" is P5 Football, P5 Basketball, and the NCAA Basketball tournament.  That's it.  I'm a supporter of hockey, football, and basketball, and will continue to do so.  But get a grip on where UND hockey fits into the grand scheme of things, good lord people.  

I don't disagree that there are much bigger sports and much bigger conferences.  However, if ANYTHING, then hockey it must be.  

"It is the singular item that places UND on the national scene" I'm hoping you just forgot that it is a University and a place for higher learning first - with a medical school, law school, nationally recognized aerospace program....

It is a University and a place for higher learning, I'll give you that.  Merit Scholars in Boston aren't exactly applying in droves...

Under the subject of not on the national radar...let alone anyone's radar...

Very similar to the Red River High School already has Roughriders so UND can't scenario...

I agree it's a non-issue, thus the "rolling eyes" emoji.  When Hawks was officially announced, I gave myself 24 hours to pout.  Still have an hour left.  I will then choose to move on.  I still won't like Fighting Hawks and it will be a long time before I buy any Hawk apparel, but I will stop complaining because in the end, it really isn't that big of a deal...

• Upvote 2

I am honestly embarrassed. 

There are five other state universities in North Dakota and we couldn't even come up with a nickname that wasn't already being used by one of them.

Seriously. That is just embarrassing. 

Totally agree!

Once again demonstrating that popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity - not that further demonstration is necessary.  

Dennis claims in his latest bit of uselessness in the Herald that one can complain about the result, but not the process - um yeah, except what was selected met virtually none of the criteria set forth.  

It is inconceivable to me that any would consider "Fighting Hawks" to be an improvement upon continuing to go without a nickname - at least that was unique.

the football player on the committee is a chemical engineering student who already completed his undergrad degree with a high GPA and is working on his masters.  Questioning his intelligence won't get you very far.

Karl Goering was also on the committee. Should we question his intelligence too?

I wasn't questioning his intelligence, nor do I think they should be doing that with the hockey players, although there is a big difference between book smarts and common sense. (See the actions of Kelley for confirmation of that).  I just find it funny that the poster was questioning intelligence based on what they say, or don't say about a nickname.  

UND also followed the national trend toward aggressive nicknames, by holding onto "fighting" from its Fighting Sioux name, retired in late 2012.

"I call them mean mascots," and they're rampant at small schools, Bowie said. "They don't have the confidence to have a happier logo. They feel like, 'Oh, we've got to intimidate people.'"

But Bowie is holding out hope that the UND logo won't be just another "angry bird."

"I think they still have a chance to have a logo that maybe expresses fun or excitement as opposed to just being pissed off," he said.

Can we please not have a muscle-bound hawk logo?

• Upvote 1

Once again demonstrating that popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity - not that further demonstration is necessary.  

Dennis claims in his latest bit of uselessness in the Herald that one can complain about the result, but not the process - um yeah, except what was selected met virtually none of the criteria set forth.  

It is inconceivable to me that any would consider "Fighting Hawks" to be an improvement upon continuing to go without a nickname - at least that was unique.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/our-opinion/3885997-our-opinion-kree-e-ah-cry-hawk

Think of it this way: Truth be told, most university nicknames are bland. It's the university that makes them shine: A bulldog is a bulldog, but the Yale Bulldogs stand out.

What he fails to mention is that no one refers to them as the "Bulldogs".  They just call them Yale.  Why?   Probably because "Bulldogs" is bland and boring and doesn't really differentiate them.

Can we please not have a muscle-bound hawk logo?

Oh, dear God please no.

I slept on it and have come to conclusion that FH still sucks and will suck for years to come but it is what it is.

I'm an alum, booster and season ticket holder and will continue to be but that doesn't mean I have to like FH.

I agree; however I didn't have to sleep on it. For those that are supporting the new nickname, that's great. For those of us that are detractors of the name, we still support and love our University of North Dakota, but just have been fed up with this "unbiased" process and think the new name is lame.

To put it simply: "I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything that says Fighting Hawks as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed that says Fighting Hawks. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that......."

Show of hands:  Would like to call out those of you who at one time were trumpeting the idea that we must choose a new nickname, yet are now groaning about the results.

• Upvote 3

Show of hands:  Would like to call out those of you who at one time were trumpeting the idea that we must choose a new nickname, yet are now groaning about the results.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm............I really don't think any of us had a say in this.  It was decided for us.