SiouxSports.com Forum

So I Guess Fighting Hawks It Is

geaux_sioux

No reason the change the name of this sight. Why can't we honor our past and keep it Sioux Sports. Everyone knows that is UND. Change it to Hawks something, and it could be 1 of how many schools. 

Not changing anything right now, the only reason I'm talking about it now is to lock in domain names (which will become scarcer now that the final name is known).

If the day comes that UND students or new fans are likely to search for "Fighting Hawks message board" or "Fighting Hawks football", I want to be ready.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, putting the Fighting in front of any nickname automatically makes it golden...Fighting Giant Douches or Fighting Turd Sandwiches?  Hard to say which one is better. :)

yep, the committee had the Hawk option down to Green Hawks and Fighting Hawks before choosing the finalists. If the committee had advanced Green Hawks instead, I doubt Green Hawks would have won.  If the committee had thrown Fighting on to Nodaks instead, that probably would be our nickname right now.

• Upvote 1

I don't get you, you are all over the board! Or do you just like to take the other side, no matter what that side is?

I didn't know I had to "take sides."

I like the Roughriders nickname from Day One it was announced The Sioux was retired. It was my top pick.

And believe me, I did everything I could to try and get people on board. The first loser's not too bad. :(

But now UND is the Fighting Hawks. Nothing I can do about it now, but try and embrace it and try and find the positives. Follow my lead you'll go far. ;)

My father introduced me to John Denver, and I've always loved....

Edited by Cratter

I didn't know I had to "take sides."

I like the Roughriders nickname from Day One it was announced The Sioux was retired. It was my top pick.

And believe me, I did everything I could to try and get people on board. The first loser's not too bad. :(

But now UND is the Fighting Hawks. Nothing I can do about it now, but try and embrace it and try and find the positives.

My father introduced me to John Denver, and I've always loved....

You dont have too, but why go against both, back and forth?

FH is my 4th choice..

Yes you did, nauseating.

Then embrace it and be positive, stop being a JA!

I feel I loss today also, and I voted for FH. I may be more Fighting Sioux stubborn than I thought I was. 

How's that for comprehension?

You dont have too, but why go against both, back and forth?

FH is my 4th choice..

Yes you did, nauseating.

Then embrace it and be positive, stop being a JA!

I feel I loss today also, and I voted for FH. I may be more Fighting Sioux stubborn than I thought I was. 

How's that for comprehension?

Yours might be fine. I'm questioning mine now...:blush:

Edited by Cratter

Local Fox News TV just did a piece on nickname and the Fr. female student they interviewed said she voted FH because it keep "Fighting" in the name.

An adjective...... a F'Hawkin' adjective was her reason!!! And don't think she was the only one to vote like that.

Local Fox News TV just did a piece on nickname and the Fr. female student they interviewed said she voted FH because it keep "Fighting" in the name.

An adjective...... a F'Hawkin' adjective was her reason!!! And don't think she was the only one to vote like that.

Oh you saw that too....

"Um, I don't know...it kept Fighting."

Edited by Cratter

If that was the mindset of the student body, I'm glad they didn't put "Fighting" in front of Sundogs.

• Upvote 1

“I didn’t come to this university for the nickname or the thought of getting one,” Mathewson said. “I came here for much more. Getting a new nickname, I understand it’s big for some people. For me, it doesn’t change how great this place is and what it’s meant to me and everything it has provided for me. With or without a nickname, I’d still get all that. And the people who come after me who will be Fighting Hawks, they’ll still get that experience, too.”

• Upvote 4