SiouxSports.com Forum

So I Guess Fighting Hawks It Is

geaux_sioux

A few people give their opinion without ripping into the selection and you question their intelligence.  Maybe I should question the intelligence of the football player that was on the committee.  What is it about the definition of "unique" that he and the committee don't understand. I thought that was self explanatory  Say what you want about how UND hockey ties itself to the Sioux nickname and culture more than other teams, but it seems to have worked much better for them than it has for the other programs, and they are playing at the top level of competition. 

Not one current hockey player wore the  Sioux jersey. Have you ever heard a hockey player come out and support the university itself?  It's all about their precious nickname that none of them even played under.  Embarrassing.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

Heaven forbid people try to bring some humor to the situation.  It is actually possible to make a joke about the Fighting Hawks nickname while also realizing that any of the 5 nicknames left would have prompted the same and, at the end of the day, we'll support the University of North Dakota.  A sense of humor and a sense of reality are not mutually exclusive.

If you think the things being said on here are in humor, and they are just joking, then.....ok, you're lucky??? to see it that way.

If RR would have won I would not be whining about it and showing pictures of rubbers on here, that I do know..

Like I said a bunch of times, they have my support regardless.

• Upvote 1

Not one current hockey player wore the  Sioux jersey. Have you ever heard a hockey player come out and support the university itself?  It's all about their precious nickname that none of them even played under.  Embarrassing.

There are plenty of hockey players that have given back to the University.  And supporting the hockey program in turn supports the University as well.  There are a lot of alumni that wouldn't be nearly as interested in the University after they left campus if they weren't able to keep an identity with the University.  For many that is the hockey team. Maybe they can hire a consultant to let us know how much of an impact that is.  Much rather support the sporting programs than some of the academic elite that got us where we are today, and others that have given the University a bad name with their disgusting criminal behavior. 

How

About

We

Keep

Sioux.

Already rumors of a t-shirt going to be made

I heard that acronym several weeks ago and kind of laughed it off.  Now it seems to be gaining more steam.  I honeslty think the students voted this name in solely due to that acronym. Somewhat shocking actually.  Show you the maturity level of college students. However, I may have done the same I guess.

The anti-hockey sentiment in this forum sucks. Rather than paint some of us as hockey only fans (which I'm not), maybe you "anything but hockey fans" should be more supportive of UND in general, and end all the complaining about hockey and students.

Who said anything about the fans?  No idea what you are saying.

The rest of the teams are supporting the university, why doesn't the hockey team have to?  

The rest of the teams are supporting the university, why doesn't the hockey team have to?  

How are they not supporting the U? The hatred for hockey in this thread is unreal.

• Upvote 2

Wow! The inadequacy complex of the non-hockey crowd.

Look- I will unabashedly state that I am a hockey only fan for UND.  The other poster was correct, it is the singular item that places UND on the national scene.  You can argue otherwise and get your Fighting Hawk feathers ruffled, but it isn't like world class Texas high school footballers have UND on their short list.

After a day to digest, I will support the Fighting Hawks and really hope we get a native roots logo aka the Seattle Thunderbirds- not proposing that logo, but stating that their logo is a native inspired totem of a Thnderbird

• Upvote 2

So Ausmus should have fell in line with the Common Man mantra -- "Fighting Hawks is a great name.  Best name in all of college sports.  It will give us the same pride of culture that Sioux did!"?   They are just as disappointed as most fans, only they didn't go off like most fans did.  They just said it wasn't their choice, just like Kelley and others like Dave St. Peter did.

Edited by tnt
  • Upvote 3

Ignorance at its finest...........

• Upvote 3

If Kelly was the pres for a stretch in time without a forced nickname retirement and announcement of a replacement I'm thinking you would think positively about him and his legacy here.  just my opinion

The only things he has made public appearances/statements for were pro-PC and anti-alcohol movements.  He's basically been a ghost in every other area, delegating to one of his 20+ VPs to handle it instead.  UND's next president needs to be a go-getter and a hand-shaker.  The students, faculty, staff, and alumni need to see who is leading their university.  Without the nickname retirement and replacement, I'm not sure Kelley would have a legacy at all.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The only things he has made public appearances/statements for were pro-PC and anti-alcohol movements.  He's basically been a ghost in every other area, delegating to one of his 20+ VPs to handle it instead.  UND's next president needs to be a go-getter and a hand-shaker.  The students, faculty, staff, and alumni need to see who is leading their university.  Without the nickname retirement and replacement, I'm not sure Kelley would have a legacy at all.

Kelley = Dumpster fire

• Upvote 1

I heard that acronym several weeks ago and kind of laughed it off.  Now it seems to be gaining more steam.  I honeslty think the students voted this name in solely due to that acronym. Somewhat shocking actually.  Show you the maturity level of college students. However, I may have done the same I guess.

Yeah, its a stupid acronym, and a stupid way to vote. But if the student want to make shirts, then go for it. Whatever.

• Upvote 1

Look- I will unabashedly state that I am a hockey only fan for UND.  The other poster was correct, it is the singular item that places UND on the national scene.  You can argue otherwise and get your Fighting Hawk feathers ruffled, but it isn't like world class Texas high school footballers have UND on their short list.

After a day to digest, I will support the Fighting Hawks and really hope we get a native roots logo aka the Seattle Thunderbirds- not proposing that logo, but stating that their logo is a native inspired totem of a ThndeTherbird

What "national scene"?  The same one that Cal-State Fullerton baseball and Johns Hopkins lacrosse are on?  The "national scene" is P5 Football, P5 Basketball, and the NCAA Basketball tournament.  That's it.  I'm a supporter of hockey, football, and basketball, and will continue to do so.  But get a grip on where UND hockey fits into the grand scheme of things, good lord people.  

• Upvote 3

A few people give their opinion without ripping into the selection and you question their intelligence.  Maybe I should question the intelligence of the football player that was on the committee.  What is it about the definition of "unique" that he and the committee don't understand. I thought that was self explanatory  Say what you want about how UND hockey ties itself to the Sioux nickname and culture more than other teams, but it seems to have worked much better for them than it has for the other programs, and they are playing at the top level of competition. 

the football player on the committee is a chemical engineering student who already completed his undergrad degree with a high GPA and is working on his masters.  Questioning his intelligence won't get you very far.

Karl Goering was also on the committee. Should we question his intelligence too?

• Upvote 2

Not a rip on students, but now that we have a new nickname and will have eventual merchandise other than the interlocking ND, are students going to start to more interested in UND athletics?  Meaning, will they start showing up to more games and being engaged in what is going on, start cheers, stay for the entire game, fill student sections at the Ralph, Betty, and Alerus?  We all say that the lack of student interest is noticeable and needs to get better.  Now that the students have their Fighting Hawks name, will we see more Fighting Hawk student fans at games?!!

After a day to digest, I will support the Fighting Hawks and really hope we get a native roots logo aka the Seattle Thunderbirds- not proposing that logo, but stating that their logo is a native inspired totem of a Thnderbird

"It is the singular item that places UND on the national scene" I'm hoping you just forgot that it is a University and a place for higher learning first - with a medical school, law school, nationally recognized aerospace program....

• Upvote 3

Not a rip on students, but now that we have a new nickname and will have eventual merchandise other than the interlocking ND, are students going to start to more interested in UND athletics?  Meaning, will they start showing up to more games and being engaged in what is going on, start cheers, stay for the entire game, fill student sections at the Ralph, Betty, and Alerus?  We all say that the lack of student interest is noticeable and needs to get better.  Now that the students have their Fighting Hawks name, will we see more Fighting Hawk student fans at games?!!

To answer that with a single one word...............No.