SiouxSports.com Forum

So I Guess Fighting Hawks It Is

geaux_sioux

FB_IMG_1440254091095.thumb.jpg.14cdeba42FB_IMG_1439575766541.thumb.jpg.036ce742b

I say this in complete seriousness, I feel bad for you guys.  For being a small school your nickname was very well known nationally.  I can't imagine how tough this would be if it happened to my favorite school.  I guess the silver lining for you guys is that this process is finally over after all these years of controversy.  I don't think that's a small thing.  Time to move on. 

But I do have to say that Golden Gophers is one of the great unique college nicknames out there! ;) 

my new avatar is dedicated to marigoofi

I prefer the one with the black-tipped beak.  I still think something needs to be done with the back feather, I'd either shrink or remove it.  When the logo is shrunk down, it can end up looking like a beaked black blob.  Perhaps it should be done in more of a charcoal gray so it doesn't drown out the other colors so much?  Maybe make the eye all white rather than having the color strip at the bottom.  Also, try coloring the area around the eye to make it more distinct.  I'd also be interested in seeing it with heavier outlining/more color on the lower feathers to make them a bit more distinct.

I prefer the one with the black-tipped beak.  I still think something needs to be done with the back feather, I'd either shrink or remove it.  When the logo is shrunk down, it can end up looking like a beaked black blob.  Perhaps it should be done in more of a charcoal gray so it doesn't drown out the other colors so much?  Maybe make the eye all white rather than having the color strip at the bottom.  Also, try coloring the area around the eye to make it more distinct.  I'd also be interested in seeing it with heavier outlining/more color on the lower feathers to make them a bit more distinct.

I tried out grey in illustrator and it looked awful. Hows a white accent line look?

fighting hawks logo concept 10.jpg

I like what you have done, Geaux Sioux

image.jpeg

I will say the actual logo we get will look nothing like this..............this is actually pretty cool..............and this is coming from a guy who still vomits in his own mouth a little bit when saying Fighting Hawks.

I tried out grey in illustrator and it looked awful. Hows a white accent line look?

The accent helps, but not quite enough IMO.  Maybe a bolder accent?  When the image is shrunk down (for hats, polos, etc) the eye kind of gets lost and is hard to differentiate from the other "random" sections of white and green on the head.  Perhaps a couple of those need to be removed?  Especially the white ones near the eye.  Maybe try removing the white spots above and below the eye, and the left half of the one to the right of the eye.  I think when it's shrunk down, the eye needs to be clear to avoid the appearance of it being just a black blob with random spots of color.

geaux: My advice is not worry about how it looks on a 1920x1080 full HDMI screen and more about how it'll look shrunk to fit on the front of a ball cap. If it is too complex it'll manufacture terribly and look even worse. 

Yea, I've thought about that. These images are still concepts and most of the lines will probably need to be thicker to make production easier and more accurate. Maybe getting rid of some of the tiny accents would be a good idea too. But priority number right now is making it look good enough to catch someones eye and get to the point where production is actually a real concern instead of a hypothetical one.

Honest opinion? Too busy. How do you put that logo on a ball cap? The Brien logo was tough enough. 

And it's trying too hard to be something we are no longer. 

Respectfully disagree.  There's a 'funny' picture that someone posted a few days ago with the old Brien logo that has a beak added to it...now that is trying to hard!  I think geaux_sioux's logo here is very good.  It has obvious ties to the past, but is not a complete ripoff and is a very nice looking, original logo.  Maybe it could be cleaned up/simplified a bit, but I think this is a great start.

It's been said on here multiple times that the logo may make or break the new nickname.  I personally can't stand the new nickname, but at least having a cool, original logo like what geaux_sioux has come up with would salvage it some.  Maybe not fully, but at least somewhat.

I just can't help but think we're going to end up with something VERY blah and generic, further killing this horrible new nickname.

• Upvote 1

The accent helps, but not quite enough IMO.  Maybe a bolder accent?  When the image is shrunk down (for hats, polos, etc) the eye kind of gets lost and is hard to differentiate from the other "random" sections of white and green on the head.  Perhaps a couple of those need to be removed?  Especially the white ones near the eye.  Maybe try removing the white spots above and below the eye, and the left half of the one to the right of the eye.  I think when it's shrunk down, the eye needs to be clear to avoid the appearance of it being just a black blob with random spots of color.

I adjusted the logo with a bolder beak accent and it looks good but the site isn't allowing me to post it.... 

That's the thing, if we want the logo out of our hands we can sit on them. Or, we can spread better options around and show alternatives. I think we all know that a logo by an alum would help the new nickname catch on faster and sell better. I want Ben Brein to do the logo but I'm not dumb enough to assume they would even contact him so i figured I would take some initiative and hopefully create something decent.

Friends with him on Facebook.  He's easy to approach there.

Great work. It is my sincere hope that it can be weighed against options of similar caliber in some kind of selection process. It's a great illustration of why shelling out more money for fraudulent consultants and charlatans is not only unnecessary but a inferior product.