SiouxSports.com Forum

So I Guess Fighting Hawks It Is

geaux_sioux

Honest critique. It looks like a crow or raven. Too much black.

Mentioning that, hawks don't say "caw-caw". That's crow-speak. (I bring this up based on a GFHerald story on Friday's hockey game and a couple posts here.) 

Hawks screech. 

Edited by The Sicatoka

Yellow beak with black tip is cool, neck seems wide...? The eye doesn't do it for me. Unless it has meaning that i dont know? The start you have though is super cool...

The eyes are a combo of traditional Native American bird artwork and a nod the most recent sioux logo. They also, and most importantly, different from any bird logo I've seen. They almost all have the same eyes. If there's a spot to differentiate our bird logo from all others it's in the eye. I'm working on a version with an adjusted neck\feather region so we'lol see how that looks.

geaux: My advice is not worry about how it looks on a 1920x1080 full HDMI screen and more about how it'll look shrunk to fit on the front of a ball cap. If it is too complex it'll manufacture terribly and look even worse. 

Yep,  I love the most recent Sioux logo but shrunk down on a ball cap or similar it was too busy.  A great, great logo, but IMO didn't merchandise well when small.   Small needs very simple, uncluttered images.

I prefer the one with the black-tipped beak.  I still think something needs to be done with the back feather, I'd either shrink or remove it.  When the logo is shrunk down, it can end up looking like a beaked black blob.  Perhaps it should be done in more of a charcoal gray so it doesn't drown out the other colors so much?  Maybe make the eye all white rather than having the color strip at the bottom.  Also, try coloring the area around the eye to make it more distinct.  I'd also be interested in seeing it with heavier outlining/more color on the lower feathers to make them a bit more distinct.

Agree wit the black-tipped beak, and with the back feather.

geaux-sioux, I give you a lot of credit for all of the hard work you are doing.  I couldn't do what you're doing.   You did ask for feedback and one of the first things that comes to my mind is, while I think this is pretty cool looking and has potential, the first thing I see is a crow that had a bad night.   I'm not exactly sure how to turn that into a hawk image that I think is great, and others are giving some good feedback.  But that's just my take when I first see it.   A crow that hasn't combed its feathers.

The alumni assoc. is begging people to reconsider. And they used the old it's for the children as part of the reason. 

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/3889318-und-alumni-association-appeals-donors-unhappy-new-und-nickname

Not quite...

"It wasn't a direct appeal to send us money, it was more to remind people that this is what we do it for,"

People have been threatening to pull donations for a decade and the Alumni Foundation keeps getting more.

The alumni assoc. is begging people to reconsider. And they used the old it's for the children as part of the reason.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/3889318-und-alumni-association-appeals-donors-unhappy-new-und-nickname

Hey, if you want to join the haters, be my guest. I'll stick with the Alumni Association and their hard work making this a better place.

• Upvote 2

Mentioning that, hawks don't say "caw-caw". That's crow-speak. (I bring this up based on a GFHerald story on Friday's hockey game and a couple posts here.) 

Hawks screech. 

Now  that would get the 80 year old hockey fans to sit up in their seats. 

I'm in the club that will continue to support UND, hates the new nickname and will continue to wear my Fighting Sioux stuff to UND games.

Until the day Bridges get UND to turn us away at the door. 

Edited by CMSioux