SiouxSports.com Forum

So I Guess Fighting Hawks It Is

geaux_sioux

Not my top choice by any means but hindsight, everyone should have seen it coming. You ever watched a group of people try to order pizza? They're going to end up with pepperoni. You have a huge, diverse group try to pick a nickname, you're going to end up with something safe/generic. All stakeholder groups wanted a say, so it had to be all-inclusive, well this is what you get. The other option was to come up with 2 or 3 unique options with no outside input and then you have people complaining about not having input, choices being forced on them and on top of it, a huge majority hates the options because unique things are polarizing by nature.

The University of North Dakota made one nickname great, time for them to do the same with another.

Zactly.  There's a reason why nearly all banquet/reception dinners serve chicken.  Because pretty much everyone does not hate chicken.  Even vegetarians will eat a little chicken now and then.  Truth.  I've seen it.  Uncomfortable to watch, though, as they eat it like it's a dead worm.  "Why even eat it, then?" I ask.  "I'm hungry." They say.  Anyway, if you decide you're going to have to feed folks, then feed 'em chicken.  You likely won't win any outstanding cuisine awards, but as long as you cook it properly your complaint-per-person count will be low.

So, Hawks and it's derivatives are the non-offensive, least disliked dish on the nickname buffet and that's why everyone who's forced to change their name ends up with it.  Yes, it's crappy.  So are taxes and Ben Affleck.  But, we must endure them to participate in society.

Let McFeely and all the rest gloat, but they will not ever understand what the Fighting Sioux name meant to those of us growing up with it.  I hope in time Fighting Hawks will do the same for the next generation of UND fans.

taz 

At least they're Fighting Hawks and not Stumbling Drunk Hawks or Panhandling Hawks.  I'm a little surprised that a college went for Fighting Hawks and not Peacefully Protesting Hawks or Shrewdly Negotiating Hawks, though.

Give it time, I'm sure the Hawks will grow up and move on from their violent ways soon enough.

• Upvote 1

So I did a little sketching last night and then some hand rendering today. These aren't finished by any means and are just free hand concepts that still need something behind them to add ground. With that said, what do you guys think. Be brutal and honest, I'd like to make these as good as possible so negative feedback is more useful for making improvements. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

IMO, it may be trying a bit too hard to incorporate the "random" colors and touches of the Ben Brien logo.  Just seems a bit too busy.  Perhaps the last feather (back of neck) could be removed/shrunk to make the neck a bit thinner as well.  Other than that just some clean-up of the lines and it looks solid.  I, personally, would like to see a "just wings" logo in addition to this, but nice work.

So I did a little sketching last night and then some hand rendering today. These aren't finished by any means and are just free hand concepts that still need something behind them to add ground. With that said, what do you guys think. Be brutal and honest, I'd like to make these as good as possible so negative feedback is more useful for making improvements. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

I think they look very good.  I would like to see something like this as opposed to the generic ones everyone else has.  Very well done!

It's over.  Own it.  Make it the best of all the "Hawks" out there.  Continue to dominant and be the best fans in college sports.

#FHawkingProud

Agreed on looking a bit to busy with all the colors.  I do like the concept of including the old logo.  The Brien logo had 4 feathers.  Start with that change.  Maybe take the exact color scheme and design of the Brien logo and incorporate it into the hawk like you did.  Color up the beak to orange or yellow.  That's a start I guess.

I think they look very good.  I would like to see something like this as opposed to the generic ones everyone else has.  Very well done!

image.jpg

image.jpg

I like it

I think there are great ideas there, but I agree with the random colors being too much.  Like somebody else said, stick with the four feathers, and maybe leave the random colors in the feathers of the neck, but don't have the random splotches of color all over the bird's head.

Some people might think it's "trying to hard" if we try to incorporate the old logo, but I think it can easily be argued as just keeping in touch with our past while moving onto the unfortunate but unavoidable future.

• Upvote 1

I think there are great ideas there, but I agree with the random colors being too much.  Like somebody else said, stick with the four feathers, and maybe leave the random colors in the feathers of the neck, but don't have the random splotches of color all over the bird's head.

Some people might think it's "trying to hard" if we try to incorporate the old logo, but I think it can easily be argued as just keeping in touch with our past while moving onto the unfortunate but unavoidable future.

Couldn't agree more.  And I don't but the argument that the NCAA is going to get on UND for having feathers in their bird logo.  Use the feathers from the old logo to make a hawk (like geaux_sioux did).  Tie the old to the new.  Will make it easier for fans to transition and support a new logo.  More importantly for UND,  more people hmay but the new merchandise!!

• Upvote 4

Couldn't agree more.  And I don't but the argument that the NCAA is going to get on UND for having feathers in their bird logo.  Use the feathers from the old logo to make a hawk (like geaux_sioux did).  Tie the old to the new.  Will make it easier for fans to transition and support a new logo.  More importantly for UND,  more people hmay but the new merchandise!!

Question is- are the people in charge this smart?

• Upvote 1