SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ NDSU Gameday Thread

Dustin

It is amazing you can tell the intent of a player from a video board replay.  

In reality you can't. 

You're argument is the same as me saying I saw UND defenders punching our O-Linemen in the groin on the ground after the whistle was blown (that is as dirty as it gets).

Finally, someone tell Cole Reyes to take his hat off during the post game presser.  That is low-class sore loser action.

Cole wears his hat like that all the time. Not a classless move like you're  implying. 

The player who did this is Connor Wentz, Carson Wentz's cousin. Not sure what he was thinking but that kid is not a dirty player and I am positive his intention was not to hurt that kid. I heard from a good source he was pretty upset about what happened . 

I am sure it wasn't his intention, it hardly ever is.  They make rules and teach kids the rules for a reason.  Now another fellow player is done for the year cause he is a f'ckin idiot who did what no other player hardly ever does.  I honestly cannot remember seeing somebody go diving into somebody's back/knee in the open field like that.  He lined that one for awhile in the clip. 

• Upvote 3

That 2011 GWC title is looking more and more expensive with each passing game. That was the title that prompted Faison to give Mussman a contract extension, which resulted in the gigantic mess we have right now.

At the time, it was exciting to beat South Dakota at home with the furious comeback. In retrospect, it would have been better to lose that game.

I am sure it wasn't his intention, it hardly ever is.  They make rules and teach kids the rules for a reason.  Now another fellow player is done for the year cause he is a f'ckin idiot who did what no other player hardly ever does.  I honestly cannot remember seeing somebody go diving into somebody's back/knee in the open field like that.  He lined that one for awhile in the clip. 

Conner probably graded out well on that play for getting a defender on the ground, that is how it works.  A snapped leg, just a minor detail.  He was dead set on cutting Arnell down, even when the legal angle was no longer there.

Found the picture on twitter of the ZA injury:

CPXfvks_Us_AA_ZH.jpg

Also, went to Bisonville to see if they had any comments yet.  They are laughing it off.  Unreal.  

that's a dirty play. You'd have a hard time convincing me he is not a dirty player after watching that clip. Looks pretty intentional to me. 

Initial hit , the blockers shoulders are above Arnells waist. I don't think this was "dirty".  Looks like it could have been blocking from behind. I don't believe this was a cheap shot. Kid trying to make a play. Arnell was trying to turn back into the runner as he was hit from behind by the AC kid.  I would like to see the X-ray but I would bet $100 the fracture occurred due to the combination of those forces more so than a direct blow to his knee or leg.  I believe at most their guy blocked from behind but this was an unfortunate incident more than a cheap shot.  Time to move on.  Prayers for a quick recovery. 

• Upvote 3

UND got killed and complaining about that play doesn't change anything.  It just makes us look like we're trying to grasp on to any conversation that distracts us from the fact that UND football still stinks.

But at least we have another shot at them in 4 years!  :silly:

Or, we just lost a starting safety!!  A guy we needed to compete in the Big Sky.  And we need to point things out when teams do this and officials are silent.

• Upvote 2

UND got killed and complaining about that play doesn't change anything.  It just makes us look like we're trying to grasp on to any conversation that distracts us from the fact that UND football still stinks.

But at least we have another shot at them in 4 years!  :silly:

Did you expect a different outcome from a team that is still rebuilding, then having to play in a hostile environment against the #2 team in FCS?  2-1 right now with a FBS win is not bad at all.

Game went about as I expected other than I expected the separation to happen in the third quarter rather than the second quarter as I was counting on an FCS level offensive coordinator to be able to put together 12-14 successful formations and play calls that would allow UND to at least put 1 drive together, maybe hit one big play, and be ready for a quick strike after a turnover or big special teams play.....apparently I was too optimistic as our offensive game plan goal seemed to be to try and milk the clock and nothing more than that.

Overall we did a good job of stopping the run but our corners have got to be able to challenge receivers better than that and/or we need to get a lot more pressure on the QB. Stopping the run in the Big Sky only goes so far as most teams use the run to set up the pass.

But don't you see the irony, that NDSU rubes were whining that people might target Wentz's injury, and they had the questionable hits.  

This ^^^^^.

Now we are without a starter who was playing well.  If it was the other way around there would be multiple threads on BV and AGS  saying "I told you so...this is why I didn't want to play the game...they are cheap!".  

• Upvote 3

As a football referee, the hit on Arnell was as dirty of a football play as you can have.  I'm not saying he did it with malice but that is irrelevant.  Its a dirty play.  Its an illegal play.  Unfortunately, its going to have a serious impact on a promising players ability to continue playing this game.  Again, I'm not saying the NDSU guy did what he did on purpose.  I imagine what happened was not his intent and that he was more than likely aiming at the hip.  Unfortunately, that was not the end result.

I can agree with that statement.  It's like facemasking... no one EVER goes in with the intention of grabbing a facemask, sometimes it happens in the heat of the moment.