SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ NDSU Gameday Thread

Dustin

Initial hit , the blockers shoulders are above Arnells waist. I don't think this was "dirty".  Looks like it could have been blocking from behind. I don't believe this was a cheap shot. Kid trying to make a play. Arnell was trying to turn back into the runner as he was hit from behind by the AC kid.  I would like to see the X-ray but I would bet $100 the fracture occurred due to the combination of those forces more so than a direct blow to his knee or leg.  I believe at most their guy blocked from behind but this was an unfortunate incident more than a cheap shot.  Time to move on.  Prayers for a quick recovery. 

No it went from a "block in the back" to "clipping" once he went into his knee and then it turned into a broken ankle.  The kid basically knocked somebody out for the season with a 'block' that will more than likely never be seen again this year by either fan base.  

Everyone who played the game at the collegiate level knows you don't do that, especially LOW.  If you can see their numbers you leave them alone and find somebody else.  

This one hurts our secondary bad.   

• Downvote 1

No it went from a "block in the back" to "clipping" once he went into his knee and then it turned into a broken ankle.  The kid basically knocked somebody out for the season with a 'block' that will more than likely never be seen again this year by either fan base.  

Everyone who played the game at the collegiate level knows you don't do that, especially LOW.  If you can see their numbers you leave them alone and find somebody else.  

This one hurts our secondary bad.   

I did play and coach at the collegiate level. Also reffed for 12 years.  Illegal hit, but I don't think it was intentional or dirty and I didn't think he went after his knee.  I think he started high and went low..  The result is bad but I don't think the AC kid intentionally tried to hurt our guy. I am not a fan of the AC but it sure looks like a back up trying to make a play rather than a dirty play.  I think it was illegal whether it was clipping or blocking from behind but there is a difference. I dont' know where th efracture is, but I would guess it will require surgery and hopefully if our athletic training staff will get involved in the kids rehab ( a sore spot with me)  he will be ready by spring ball.

• Upvote 3

You've got some serious nerve. Poor little 87 ran clear across the field to blow open a hole for Dunn and gosh darn it he trips, good thing #20 from UND was there to break his fall, with his leg. I was worried 87 might get a hang nail or something the way he tripped.

Don't let them get to you. Yes it's unfortunate they are making light of an injury, which is pretty malicious no matter what team you root for, but remember the tides can change quickly. Who knows, maybe the next time UND and NDSU play the tables could be turned.

What's with all the bickering and crying about low class, cheap shots etc.?  NDSU was the better team period.  Don't cry and make excuses and then call them dirty or Klieman low class because he felt his team was the better defensive team between the 2.  F'in pathetic guys.

Who gives a sh*t about that?  We know they were better, that has nothing to do with the play that is outlawed for a reason. 

I did play and coach at the collegiate level. Also reffed for 12 years.  Illegal hit, but I don't think it was intentional or dirty and I didn't think he went after his knee.  I think he started high and went low..  The result is bad but I don't think the AC kid intentionally tried to hurt our guy. I am not a fan of the AC but it sure looks like a back up trying to make a play rather than a dirty play.  I think it was illegal whether it was clipping or blocking from behind but there is a difference. I dont' know where th efracture is, but I would guess it will require surgery and hopefully if our athletic training staff will get involved in the kids rehab ( a sore spot with me)  he will be ready by spring ball.

Once again, nobody said he tried to break his ankle.  But, He 100% TRIED to block him in the back and lower legs.  That is 100% undeniable.  Which is crap.

Edited by UND1983

When was the last time you saw someone, untouched, block someone like that from behind and snap their leg. Regardless of intent that is a rare play in football.

UND blocked like that multiple times Saturday, but didn't break anyone's leg...

It's a sad, sad deal that the kid got hurt.  I could tell it was hard for Bubba to talk about it in the post game presser, but Bubba even said this happens sometimes.

Can we please move on?

• Downvote 1

When was the last time you saw someone, untouched, block someone like that from behind and snap their leg. Regardless of intent that is a rare play in football.

Over the years I have seen it plenty of times. Have seen an injury result from it one other time. It's unfortunate it happened. Move on and get ready for your conference opener.

Edited by Rory

What's with all the bickering and crying about low class, cheap shots etc.?  NDSU was the better team period.  Don't cry and make excuses and then call them dirty or Klieman low class because he felt his team was the better defensive team between the 2.  F'in pathetic guys.

So that gives them license to do whatever they want whenever they want with no consequences? The rules apply to everyone, including almighty "FBS in our own minds" NDSU.

And by the way, YOU are the one that's pathetic for defending this hit. :angry:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

UND blocked like that multiple times Saturday, but didn't break anyone's leg...

It's a sad, sad deal that the kid got hurt.  I could tell it was hard for Bubba to talk about it in the post game presser, but Bubba even said this happens sometimes.

Can we please move on?

When did UND chop block a guy from behind? I didn't see it once. Both teams chop block but not from behind. 

Game is over with. As predicted, UND got their ass handed to them. I understand the reason for being upset, but what do you plan on doing about it? Move on and start the hypothetical playoff topic already.

Leevon Perry.  Look it up and see how your moron fan base handled that one.  FYI, your media was writing articles about it a YEAR later.  

Edited by UND1983

I didn't see the play so won't comment, but I do have something for the Bison fans saying move on.  A couple years ago, an SDSU player hit I believe Leevon Perry low and ended up hurting his knee.  The outrage lasted for a year until they played again, with multiple Bison fans saying that someone should target the SDSU player as retribution and some of the Bison faithful calling the SDSU team, coaches, etc dirty because of that one play.  I guess my point is that UND fans will vent a little bit, just like you guys would if the shoe was on the other foot.

That did happen.  SDSU came to the FargoDome a few weeks later for a playoff game I believe....and yes, the fan base was upset. 

I understand the venting by UND fans, I do.  I cannot imagine anyone on either team is out to intentionally injure an opposing player.  "Intent" is a rather nasty word to use.  Back in the day did the SDSU lineman "intend" to injure Perry?  Did 87 "intend" to injure him on the play?  A few years ago did Frattin "intend" to put Wehrs into la la land in the corner?  It is hard to play that card, no one knows what's going through a players head as he lines up for a play.   Not that this will fix anything or help the injured player, but that was one of the longest ovations I've heard for an opposing player.  Terrible circumstance, but no need to label an entire fan base because of a few message board posts. 

BOTTOM LINE: Hopefully a full recovery for the injured player.....and as shallow as some of you make take this hopefully 87 learns a lesson from this as well.

Once again good luck in the Big Sky.   

• Upvote 1

The hit just doesn't look good; but, we can't know intent. But by not letting up and taking the hit the player leaves himself open to the question. 

Right now I'm more worried about:

1. Zach Arnell's recovery

2. The UND offensive line

3. UC-Davis 

The rest of the stuff will sort itself out in the end. 

• Upvote 1

Initial hit , the blockers shoulders are above Arnells waist. I don't think this was "dirty".  Looks like it could have been blocking from behind. I don't believe this was a cheap shot. Kid trying to make a play. Arnell was trying to turn back into the runner as he was hit from behind by the AC kid.  I would like to see the X-ray but I would bet $100 the fracture occurred due to the combination of those forces more so than a direct blow to his knee or leg.  I believe at most their guy blocked from behind but this was an unfortunate incident more than a cheap shot.  Time to move on.  Prayers for a quick recovery. 

The shoulders might have been above the waist (not convinced myself) but 87's movement was downward and toward his knees and legs as he made contact.  That play is very dangerous (and against the rules) and a player needs to recognize that and pull up.

It would have been different if he had been closer and able to deliver a blow to his back that pushed him forward.  That is merely a block in the back.  That play he made has a high likelihood of hurting someone as you roll down into his legs.  It was really a bad decision and Arnell get's to pay for it.