SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ NDSU Gameday Thread

Dustin

I think the point that makes most UND's fans upset is that one of the made-up excuses why FargoU shouldn't have played the game is because UND would get chippy, make a dirty hit and someone would get hurt.  Well lo and behold, it was one of their own making a incredibly irresponsible and illegal hit and knocked out one of UND's starters for at least the year if not longer. The fan base that is still complaining about a legal block on Leevon Perry a couple years ago and claiming that a UND player made "dirty" hit on Montana's QB (that none of the saw) is now defending something that would have probably been a prelude to WWIII if the roles were reversed.

^^^^ This!!!!

Can't speak for the other mods as we haven't discussed it. But, I've considered it, but there are a couple legitimate post-game conversations still occurring (the injury, in particular.) But, as you can tell, we're all closely watching it :)

Wouldn't do any good, the dumpster fire would only move to 4 other threads.   Might as well keep it contained here.   I'm surprised no one started a thread about the 2019 game yet.

I think most would agree.

Most bad, cheap or dirty hits rarely are done with the intent to injury but because of the recklessness of the hit towards the opposing player involved an injury is often the end result. Do I think the SU kid intended to injure the UND player........no. Do I think, after watching the replay multiple times, that the SU kid knew it was a reckless and "cheap" hit........absolutely. Again.....the result is just the end byproduct intended or not.

• Upvote 2

But that doesn't excuse the fact that it was a reckless and undisciplined play at a minimum. The injury outcome is just the byproduct.

I agree. It was unfortunate. I know the kid who did it. He feels terrible. Does that make it better? No. He made a mistake. It's just to bad it resulted in an ugly injury.

Most bad, cheap or dirty hits rarely are done with the intent to injury but because of the recklessness of the hit towards the opposing player involved an injury is often the end result. Do I think the SU kid intended to injure the UND player........no. Do I think, after watching the replay multiple times, that the SU kid knew it was a reckless and "cheap" hit........absolutely. Again.....the result is just the end byproduct intended or not.

So where do you go from here?

Where do we go from here......well most of us would have taken 2-1 after the first three games.  However each of the last two games left a real bad taste in our mouths.  6 horrendous offensive quarters.  We stunk it up offensively last year for the first 3rd of the season but we got better.  Both the players and coaches really need to step it up, and it will go back to the cliché I guess.......they all need to get back to work very hard....Day by Day.  They are going to have to mix a few things up on offense though, the last 6 quarters just don't come close to cutting it. 

Sometimes I think we don't need to SU trolls. Geez an offense with a first-year quarterback and tons of freshman playing goes up against a 4-time national champion and some of the "fans" are dissing their own team and coaching staff. We aren't there yet, we are moving in the right direction. Here is what I took away from the game on/off the field.

Off the field: I thank UND and Bubba for stepping up and getting the game scheduled. To me it makes SU look petty and selfish that they were the reason this game wasn't being played. (please trolls don't feel the need to throw out your tired excuses). 

On the field: we needed this measuring stick to put fire in the belly of the players. I'm hoping it pulls them together more as a team. I also like that they were able to play in this environment. The injury sucks and it's cheap plays/players like that that pour gas on rivalries.

The #1 sport at SU is football, the #1 sport at UND is hockey but that doesn't mean that we can't build football into something special both on the field and in the stands but it takes a commitment from the athletic department to provide the resources for the team and the motivation for the fans.  

looking forward to UC Davis this weekend and getting back on track. 

So where do you go from here?

Start a media campaign, have the local beat writers talk about it for a year or so, have our coach show the play on his weekly coaches show.  Blow it as far out of proportion as possible.  Nah, that's been done before......

I am actually ready to get over it.  Sucks but hopefully the kid never does it again.

Edited by UND1983
  • Upvote 2

Sometimes I think we don't need to SU trolls. Geez an offense with a first-year quarterback and tons of freshman playing goes up against a 4-time national champion and some of the "fans" are dissing their own team and coaching staff. We aren't there yet, we are moving in the right direction. Here is what I took away from the game on/off the field.

Off the field: I thank UND and Bubba for stepping up and getting the game scheduled. To me it makes SU look petty and selfish that they were the reason this game wasn't being played. (please trolls don't feel the need to throw out your tired excuses). 

On the field: we needed this measuring stick to put fire in the belly of the players. I'm hoping it pulls them together more as a team. I also like that they were able to play in this environment. The injury sucks and it's cheap plays/players like that that pour gas on rivalries.

The #1 sport at SU is football, the #1 sport at UND is hockey but that doesn't mean that we can't build football into something special both on the field and in the stands but it takes a commitment from the athletic department to provide the resources for the team and the motivation for the fans.  

This long ago became a moot issue, but as you repeatedly post praising the scheduling of this game, I've gotta ask again: What did it accomplish exactly?

Interested in making the playoffs? By scheduling this game, UND effectively locked itself into a 5-game home schedule for 2014-15 and put the team on the road in a hostile environment against a very tough opponent. Not exactly the recipe to help a marginal, rebuilding team claw its way back into post-season play.

Want to "get the rivalry going again?" You might feel this game pressures the AC by making it look "petty and selfish," but  more likely the administration there saw an easy way to fill its home schedule on the cheap and at the same time satisfy the pressure from some quarters to see UND and NDSU on the same field again. Never have I heard any enthusiasm expressed by the AC braintrust to renew the rivalry in football, and Faison was quoted in print last week as saying there's been no discussion at all about further games. This contract -- 2 games spread out over 5-6 years -- effectively defers any renewal of a regularly scheduled rivalry for at least another decade.

Does the team need "a measuring stick to put the fire in the belly of the players?" Based on the play I saw Saturday and in the second half v Drake, I'm afraid this team may get plenty of motivation from the likes of Portland State, Montana State and Montana as the season progresses.

Unfortunately, it appears a large segment of this fanbase -- and maybe its head coach -- remain unable to define this football program in any way other than a comparison to the school 75 miles down the road, and UND football suffers because of it.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

This long ago became a moot issue, but as you repeatedly post praising the scheduling of this game, I've gotta ask again: What did it accomplish exactly?

Interested in making the playoffs? By scheduling this game, UND effectively locked itself into a 5-game home schedule for 2014-15 and put the team on the road in a hostile environment against a very tough opponent. Not exactly the recipe to help a marginal, rebuilding team claw its way back into post-season play.

Want to "get the rivalry going again?" You might feel this game pressures the AC by making it look "petty and selfish," but  more likely the administration there saw an easy way to fill its home schedule on the cheap and at the same time satisfy the pressure from some quarters to see UND and NDSU on the same field again. Never have I heard any enthusiasm expressed by the AC braintrust to renew the rivalry in football, and Faison was quoted in print last week as saying there's been no discussion at all about further games. This contract -- 2 games spread out over 5-6 years -- effectively defers any renewal of a regularly scheduled rivalry for at least another decade.

Does the team need "a measuring stick to put the fire in the belly of the players?" Based on the play I saw Saturday and in the second half v Drake, I'm afraid this team may get plenty of motivation from the likes of Portland State, Montana State and Montana as the season progresses.

Unfortunately, it appears a large segment of this fanbase -- and maybe its head coach -- remain unable to define this football program in any way other than a comparison to the school 75 miles down the road, and UND football suffers because of it.

The similarities between UND and NDSU (e.g., same recruits, proximity, same regional fan base, etc.) will always keep NDSU on UND's radar. To just ignore NDSU and their success would be ignorant and closed-minded, and as a result, UND would remain complacent in their own little bubble. This game needs to be played, primarily due to the history and proximity of these two DI FCS program. Also, as far as Bubba's thinking on playing it now, it needed to be done so that the players and athletic department could get a realization of what it's going to take to get to the top. UND has a ways to go, and by playing the game and experiencing the atmosphere that NDSU football has built, Bubba has plenty of examples to use as teaching tools.