SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ NDSU Gameday Thread

Dustin

I'll say comparison is not the solution.

Is the UND football team as good as they can be right now?

Are they performing to the level that they expect ... of themselves

When every guy on the team can answer "yes" and it shows, then you start comparing outside. 

Edited by The Sicatoka

I'll say comparison is not the solution.

Is the UND football team as good as they can be right now?

Are they performing to the level that they expect ... of themselves

When every guy on the team can answer "yes" and it shows, then you start comparing outside. 

No football team is ever as "good as they can be right now". 

Hard work and subsequent improvement is always possible; therefore, striving for continual improvement is crucial.

UND's prospective recruits will compare UND to NDSU, so although it sounds nice to say comparing is not the solution, decisions based on comparisons are going to happen. 

Bubba wants UND to be the best football program in the Big Sky Conference, but in order for that to happen, UND may also have to be the best team in the state of North Dakota.

This long ago became a moot issue, but as you repeatedly post praising the scheduling of this game, I've gotta ask again: What did it accomplish exactly?

Interested in making the playoffs? By scheduling this game, UND effectively locked itself into a 5-game home schedule for 2014-15 and put the team on the road in a hostile environment against a very tough opponent. Not exactly the recipe to help a marginal, rebuilding team claw its way back into post-season play.

Want to "get the rivalry going again?" You might feel this game pressures the AC by making it look "petty and selfish," but  more likely the administration there saw an easy way to fill its home schedule on the cheap and at the same time satisfy the pressure from some quarters to see UND and NDSU on the same field again. Never have I heard any enthusiasm expressed by the AC braintrust to renew the rivalry in football, and Faison was quoted in print last week as saying there's been no discussion at all about further games. This contract -- 2 games spread out over 5-6 years -- effectively defers any renewal of a regularly scheduled rivalry for at least another decade.

Does the team need "a measuring stick to put the fire in the belly of the players?" Based on the play I saw Saturday and in the second half v Drake, I'm afraid this team may get plenty of motivation from the likes of Portland State, Montana State and Montana as the season progresses.

Unfortunately, it appears a large segment of this fanbase -- and maybe its head coach -- remain unable to define this football program in any way other than a comparison to the school 75 miles down the road, and UND football suffers because of it.

Could you please clairfy are you a UND fan or an SU fan it will help put some perspective on your comments.

And the Mods are where? Yup this really adds to the discussion - we need to clean out some bison turds.

Hitting report is a more effective way to bring a post to the moderators' attention than posting a complaint here. In fact, complaining about the moderation is considered an off-topic post -- such discussions should take place in the admin forum. Thanks.

Edited by jimdahl

Hitting report is a more effective way to bring a post to the moderators' attention than posting a complaint here. In fact, complaining about the moderation is considered an off-topic post -- such discussions should take place in the admin forum. Thanks.

Actually I didn't even know about that option - I gotta read the owner's manual on this thing :)

I see NDSU is now finally putting in a new video board system.  Total followers....gee, I wonder why they did that?  Cause UND and NDSU already put brand new one's in, that's why.  What a bunch of followers and the only reason they did it is because we already did.  That is only reason, BTW.  

mj23:

Constructive criticism is fine. I have no problem with differing opinions. Other folks see red when an "outsider" is here. As long as that "outsider" understands they are a guest in the house (and goes by house rules) I'm quite sure the board administrator or moderation team (yeah, I'm one) has no concerns. 

What is troubling is your need to nudge right up to using obscenities. Look back thought your last dozen or so posts. You'll see what I mean. You don't need to game the system like that. 

That's my constructive criticism. 

I'll just try and offer an unbiased opinion and keep it constructive.

I'm not going to compare the talent on the teams - to me it was obvious, but you're also talking about one program that is 5 classes deep + of the type of player it wants. Established.  Vs another program that IMHO doesn't even really have 1 recruiting class of what the coach wants, because let's face it, when Bubba was hired at that point he's doing recruiting cleanup and hasn't even established any relationships yet.  SO that will change.

Your offense was just flat out overmatched - but you guys know that. No sense in even getting into that. Not even really sure what you guys were trying to establish on offense and it never did get to a point where I could see if you had playmakers on the edges, which is kind of strange to say but whatever.  Fix the oline but I am sure that is a staple of Bubba and he will work on getting that done.

You're defense was stout and held strong.  I think NDSU's offense was just better and the defense broke but I could see there was a foundation there.  We couldn't run up the middle at all till late in the game.  Honestly, I was impressed with your interior D, but the more I watched, the more selling out it looked like to me to stay strong through the middle and sell out on the edge. Looked like Bubba's defense philosophy was asking the perimeter defense to do a hell a lot and leave the CB/DB stranded to a degree.  Looked to be way too much to me.  Will be interesting to see how your defense handles spread option big sky teams that want to get out in space. 

• Upvote 2

I'll just try and offer an unbiased opinion and keep it constructive.

I'm not going to compare the talent on the teams - to me it was obvious, but you're also talking about one program that is 5 classes deep + of the type of player it wants. Established.  Vs another program that IMHO doesn't even really have 1 recruiting class of what the coach wants, because let's face it, when Bubba was hired at that point he's doing recruiting cleanup and hasn't even established any relationships yet.  SO that will change.

Your offense was just flat out overmatched - but you guys know that. No sense in even getting into that. Not even really sure what you guys were trying to establish on offense and it never did get to a point where I could see if you had playmakers on the edges, which is kind of strange to say but whatever.  Fix the oline but I am sure that is a staple of Bubba and he will work on getting that done.

You're defense was stout and held strong.  I think NDSU's offense was just better and the defense broke but I could see there was a foundation there.  We couldn't run up the middle at all till late in the game.  Honestly, I was impressed with your interior D, but the more I watched, the more selling out it looked like to me to stay strong through the middle and sell out on the edge. Looked like Bubba's defense philosophy was asking the perimeter defense to do a hell a lot and leave the CB/DB stranded to a degree.  Looked to be way too much to me.  Will be interesting to see how your defense handles spread option big sky teams that want to get out in space. 

Very good post!

Looked like Bubba's defense philosophy was asking the perimeter defense to do a hell a lot and leave the CB/DB stranded to a degree.  

I think that's been part of the UND implementation of the 3-4 scheme from the beginning, whether it was Lennon under RT, or Bubba under Lennon, or Schmidt under Bubba. 

I see NDSU is now finally putting in a new video board system.  Total followers....gee, I wonder why they did that?  Cause UND and NDSU already put brand new one's in, that's why.  What a bunch of followers and the only reason they did it is because we already did.  That is only reason, BTW.  

Actually people have been  bitching about them for years and they were scheduled for replacement according to an article last year or the year before.. Dont care who got them first we really have needed them for a very long time.

mj23:

Constructive criticism is fine. I have no problem with differing opinions. Other folks see red when an "outsider" is here. As long as that "outsider" understands they are a guest in the house (and goes by house rules) I'm quite sure the board administrator or moderation team (yeah, I'm one) has no concerns. 

What is troubling is your need to nudge right up to using obscenities. Look back thought your last dozen or so posts. You'll see what I mean. You don't need to game the system like that. 

That's my constructive criticism. 

I have no problem with other team's fans coming and posting and even talking a little smack.  Do some take it over the edge, sure.  But many don't...I do feel we have a few UND posters who need to get some "thicker skin" not worry so much about a little smack talk by other fans.