SiouxSports.com Forum

Dave Hakstol Leaving to Coach NHL Philadelphia Flyers

Ray77

One thing we know:  you can have a brain the size of a pea and know virtually nothing about the game of hockey and still complain endlessly that we have not won a title in X-number of years (or that we may not win one in the future).   Understanding what exactly makes a coach effective at any level is more difficult, and I suppose how you analyze that depends on what you want from the game.   Everyone involved seems to think Berry is a good coach.   How he can manage a major D1 program is still an open question, but the players, at least, have certainly shown their confidence in him.  

You have to credit Hakstol for taking on a very difficult challenge that might leave him without a job 12 months from now.   He's in a completely different game now--one that is very impatient with a short memory. 

And those who wanted him gone are in a good place too.  

Next year looks like it may be a very entertaining year.   Can't wait.

One thing we know: you can have a brain the size of a pea and know virtually nothing about the game of hockey and still complain endlessly that we have not won a title in X-number of years (or that we may not win one in the future). Understanding what exactly makes a coach effective at any level is more difficult, and I suppose how you analyze that depends on what you want from the game. Everyone involved seems to think Berry is a good coach. How he can manage a major D1 program is still an open question, but the players, at least, have certainly shown their confidence in him.

You have to credit Hakstol for taking on a very difficult challenge that might leave him without a job 12 months from now. He's in a completely different game now--one that is very impatient with a short memory.

And those who wanted him gone are in a good place too.

Next year looks like it may be a very entertaining year. Can't wait.

Amen brotha....

I even got a commitment from my dad and brother already to come with to Tampa, if it should happen?! My wife is staying home this time....bummer....hehehe!

Excitement is definitely in the air!!

• Upvote 1

For all the people on here that wanted Hakstol fired every year. There was a $318,270 reason why he wasn't fired, and if another school would have picked him up as their head coach.

I think you read that wrong.  He owed the school $318,270 if he left for another NCAA school.  If he was fired, things would have been different..UND would have had a huge contract buyout if that happened.

Nice article from the Philadelphia Daily News

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/Dave_Hakstol.html

*Hakstol reportedly signed a 5-year, $10 million contract

What a great article!! Man I'm jacked up now! Sioux hockey is sooo freakin awesome!

Hak leaving is sure making the Sioux an even more well known power house of college hockey! Can't believe people wanted Hak gone, TEN MILLION DOLLARS! Come on October!

"'Hak' is a farmer," Jackson said. "I use that term endearingly. It's someone who works their ass off and does everything. He can fix the tractor, he can plant crops, he can harvest, he can deal with whatever to try and adapt and overcome everything. Here, he gets paid very well, but he's not driving a fancy car. He's a simple guy."

really? a simple guy living in a 700k house on ivy drive?? get real

• Downvote 2

"'Hak' is a farmer," Jackson said. "I use that term endearingly. It's someone who works their ass off and does everything. He can fix the tractor, he can plant crops, he can harvest, he can deal with whatever to try and adapt and overcome everything. Here, he gets paid very well, but he's not driving a fancy car. He's a simple guy."

And everything he gets, is because he earned it with hard work.   That's real.

• Upvote 1

If you made $500k a year, lived in Grand Forks, and had a family...would you live in the trailer park across from Valley Dairy?

• Upvote 1

You should learn what point he was trying to make with that quote! You could have saved yourself from looking like an idiot!

• Upvote 1

You should learn what point he was trying to make with that quote! You could have saved yourself from looking like an idiot!

Some people's hate for Hakstol clouds any sort of judgment they may have ever had. Case in point, siouxfan97.

• Upvote 1

It wasn't 700k

I believe it was 1.3 mill

I never questions his worked ethic

I just questioned if we should fire him

Never actually said to can him

It's listed on the MLS for 1.3 mil. I'd be surprised if he gets that. Tax basis is $650k for what it's worth.

Either way, it doesn't really matter.

It's listed on the MLS for 1.3 mil. I'd be surprised if he gets that. Tax basis is $650k for what it's worth.

Either way, it doesn't really matter.

would he have an agent? not sure why Hak would've needed one, as he was pretty set in stone at UND...