SiouxSports.com Forum

Dave Hakstol Leaving to Coach NHL Philadelphia Flyers

Ray77

If you made $500k a year, lived in Grand Forks, and had a family...would you live in the trailer park across from Valley Dairy?

is it closer to the Red Pepper?

simple question

Seems that many of us fans didn't completely grasp what we lost. Huge shoes to fill.

Same thing I thought when reading that.  Replacing a guy like that would be very difficult.

would he have an agent? not sure why Hak would've needed one, as he was pretty set in stone at UND...

Sorry, I don't follow but yes he does have an agent. It's a lot of paperwork and crap that I'm sure he doesn't have time to deal with.

And also to some questioning, his house was far from the nicest house on his block.  The guy made $500k a year and can't have a nice house for his family and still be considered simple? He drove a freakin Chevy Equinox haha I thought that was funny. Out of all the nice cars/trucks he could have picked he chose a $30K-$40K unassuming family SUV.

Some people's hate for Hakstol clouds any sort of judgment they may have ever had. Case in point, siouxfan97.

And some people's hero worship of Hakstol makes any sort of criticism of Hakstol blasphemous and inappropriate.  Case in point, bigskyvikes.

I guess the program will tank now that Hakstol is gone and Brad Berry is in charge, right? :silly:

Me thinks Brad Berry will do just fine at the helm of the Good Ship Fighting Sioux.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

pretty sure if someone looked into gino's winning % and the price he paid for his shoes...

there was a reason why dark star called gino "the midget from north dakota with 800 dollar shoes"

He's gone. So is Gino. Move on. You're arguing over something that literally means nothing.

what i'm saying is that some people get a little soft when the money comes rolling in and they get lazy...

Guys like Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, and Ralph Engelstad all got really soft after the money started rolling in, didn't they. :whistling:

Guys like Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, and Ralph Engelstad all got really soft after the money started rolling in, didn't they. :whistling:

pretty sure that any of the above would have won a national title at und given the same tools and resources hak was given over and 11 year span...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Do you think Hak got either? I certainly don't. And neither do the Flyers.

i guess im still a little puzzled about them hiring him still...if hak couldn't figure out a way to win four games how the hell do you think he is gonna figure out a way to win 16??? and on top of that he aint going against michigan tech, st lawrence, niagra, or penn state anymore!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

i guess im still a little puzzled about them hiring him still...if hak couldn't figure out a way to win four games how the hell do you think he is gonna figure out a way to win 16??? and on top of that he aint going against michigan tech, st lawrence, niagra, or penn state anymore!!

what are you puzzled at? Hak is a good coach and he has proven that he is.

Yeah, and the NHL playoffs aren't a one loss an done scenario like the NCAA tourney is. Before we get ahead of ourselves, lets give Hak some time to get the Flyers re-tooled for a potential playoff run before we even broach the subject of the Flyers in the playoffs. But back to the point, me thinks Hak could have retooled his UND teams enough to win a few Natties if the NCAA tourney was a best of three situation with the opportunity to make adjustments from game to game like they do in the NHL. Whew. I'm done.

• Upvote 1

pretty sure that any of the above would have won a national title at und given the same tools and resources hak was given over and 11 year span...

This is a dumb argument.  The Yankees have more resources than anyone and they suck right now (by Yankee standards).  Why doesn't Oregon win championships in football?  Why has Michigan football done so poorly lately?  USC?  Michigan hockey has great resources but they've been mediocre lately.  The Gophers have the most resources on the talent side of recruiting than anyone but they haven't been winning it either.  On the flip side of things Providence and Union don't have nearly as many resources as other guys but they have both won.

You're oversimplifying things to a fault.  You can't just throw out money and resources at something and it magically happens.  Chemistry, development, and most of all luck need to be in your favor.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, and the NHL playoffs aren't a one loss an done scenario like the NCAA tourney is. Before we get ahead of ourselves, lets give Hak some time to get the Flyers re-tooled for a potential playoff run before we even broach the subject of the Flyers in the playoffs. But back to the point, me thinks Hak could have retooled his UND teams enough to win a few Natties if the NCAA tourney was a best of three situation with the opportunity to make adjustments from game to game like they do in the NHL. Whew. I'm done.

so...

4 straight wins in college (highest budget in d1 so you are the big dog) is easier/harder than 16 wins in the postseason aginst dogs that are just as big or bigger (ny rangers, red wings, maple leafs)

was hak hired "to be a good coach" or to win the cup???

why didn't Kentucky win the national championship this year, they went undefeated the whole season and lost in the championship game...one and done tournament formats don't favor powerful teams at all, that's what makes them interesting.

• Upvote 1

why didn't Kentucky win the national championship this year, they went undefeated the whole season and lost in the championship game...one and done tournament formats don't favor powerful teams at all, that's what makes them interesting.

yet somehow calipari somehow figured it out in 2012 and won the whole damn thing....if hak had one it even in 2005 we wouldn't be having this conversation....much less in 2012 with 11 seniors

• Downvote 3

yet somehow calipari somehow figured it out in 2012 and won the whole damn thing....if hak had one it even in 2005 we wouldn't be having this conversation....much less in 2012 with 11 seniors

They were an eight seed that year. You're falling all over yourself with your arguments.

Again.... he's gone. Move on.

so...

4 straight wins in college (highest budget in d1 so you are the big dog) is easier/harder than 16 wins in the postseason aginst dogs that are just as big or bigger (ny rangers, red wings, maple leafs)

In college they play 4 one game series.  Lose any of those 4 games and you are done. 

The NHL plays 4 series where you have to win 4 games before you lose 4.  Losing 1 game isn't the end of the series, unless you have already lost 3 other games in that series.  Most teams lose at least 1 game in each series.  Winning 4 games in a row just means that you have won a single series, you still have to defeat 3 other teams 4 times each.  A team doesn't have to win 16 games in a row.  Your argument is comparing totally different situations, and if you really believe they are comparable you don't understand sports at all.

Haha haha haha haha haha haha! You can't be seriously comparing this? Well played sir, well played. Troll level: Expert.