SiouxSports.com Forum

Dave Hakstol Leaving to Coach NHL Philadelphia Flyers

Ray77

You hit it right on the head about the recruits and returning players.  Why even go thru this if you know that a former NHL player/coach who was your #1 recruiter is the guy you want.  Now you can focus on the program having continuity and not having a speed bump along the way.  As far as the kiss butt media in GF, don't get me going on this.  

I thought it was the program not the head coach was the reason why none of the recruits jumped.

You thought wrong, they all said they are happy with Berry, mainly because he is the one who recruited most of them.

that's not the impression Berry gave during his presser. having an Alum as a coach who has won a title would have made everyone jump that could?

You thought wrong, they all said they are happy with Berry, mainly because he is the one who recruited most of them.

Exactly.  Continuity from recruiting is precisely why Mr. Berry was /is the best choice, especially given his resume', track record with the team, and green/white blood.  He knows what it means to be "Sioux Family", and knows full well the weight on his shoulders.  

Did I want them to hire Dave Tippet?  Sure, that would have been cool...alum with all the street cred in the world, but that's a pipe dream and we all know it.  Brad Berry embodies the best of what this program puts together.  He's worked hard to improve his game to this level, and deserves this shot.  

I, for one, will be cheering Coach Berry and this team on all the way.

• Upvote 2

that's not the impression Berry gave during his presser. having an Alum as a coach who has won a title would have made everyone jump that could?

Read the recruits and the current players quotes, you can find out for yourself. They said it, not me! I'm not looking up the articles from the GFH, but you should be able to find em...

Exactly. Continuity from recruiting is precisely why Mr. Berry was /is the best choice, especially given his resume', track record with the team, and green/white blood. He knows what it means to be "Sioux Family", and knows full well the weight on his shoulders.

Did I want them to hire Dave Tippet? Sure, that would have been cool...alum with all the street cred in the world, but that's a pipe dream and we all know it. Brad Berry embodies the best of what this program puts together. He's worked hard to improve his game to this level, and deserves this shot.

I, for one, will be cheering Coach Berry and this team on all the way.

Hear hear!! ?

Read the recruits and the current players quotes, you can find out for yourself. They said it, not me! I'm not looking up the articles from the GFH, but you should be able to find em...

he also said it was the strength of a program to not lose anyone.  the point I'm trying to make is one of the first names to come up over the years if Hak ever left is Sandelin.  he has a good resume, one that includes a natty, being an assistant under Blais, being a good recruiter and an Alum of UND.  was that avenue even explored?  I don't think anyone would have been disappointed had that avenue been explored.  Why didn't Schlossman or any other reporter ask the question?  or do some probing in the days after?  instead they don't want to ruffle any feathers and have their interview credentials taken away.  I mean what's the toughest question Schlossman has ever asked?  any updates on Chay?  Were Ohio State fans disappointed when Urban Meyer was hired instead of Luke Fickell?

• Upvote 1

he also said it was the strength of a program to not lose anyone. the point I'm trying to make is one of the first names to come up over the years if Hak ever left is Sandelin. he has a good resume, one that includes a natty, being an assistant under Blais, being a good recruiter and an Alum of UND. was that avenue even explored? I don't think anyone would have been disappointed had that avenue been explored. Why didn't Schlossman or any other reporter ask the question? or do some probing in the days after? instead they don't want to ruffle any feathers and have their interview credentials taken away. I mean what's the toughest question Schlossman has ever asked? any updates on Chay? Were Ohio State fans disappointed when Urban Meyer was hired instead of Luke Fickell?

This is silly! First off it has nothing to do with what Berry said, it is what the players, current and incoming said!

I would take Berry now over Sandelin! The new coach decision was the right choice and it kept the most important thing intact, the players!

I see defending Berry is going to be the new fight on SS?

I know, one natty with 10+ years of nothing else is better than years of being in it right?

• Upvote 2

he also said it was the strength of a program to not lose anyone.  the point I'm trying to make is one of the first names to come up over the years if Hak ever left is Sandelin.  he has a good resume, one that includes a natty, being an assistant under Blais, being a good recruiter and an Alum of UND.  was that avenue even explored?  I don't think anyone would have been disappointed had that avenue been explored.  Why didn't Schlossman or any other reporter ask the question?  or do some probing in the days after?  instead they don't want to ruffle any feathers and have their interview credentials taken away.  I mean what's the toughest question Schlossman has ever asked?  any updates on Chay?  Were Ohio State fans disappointed when Urban Meyer was hired instead of Luke Fickell?

Berry was an employee of the University.  As such they could promote him without going through the extended hiring process needed to hire someone from outside the University.  That process would take a minimum of several weeks, and could easily take more than a month.  During that time you are giving players and recruits time to think about moving on to other places to play.  Berry could be promoted the same day.  He is a very qualified coach, and part of the reason he was brought back was to potentially fill this role if the head coaching position opened.

Sandelin, Dave Tippett, and any other name you can come up with, other than Berry and Dane Jackson, would have required opening the process.  They would have had to deal with the open records laws, which has shown to prevent some coaches from applying.  They would have had to wait for a minimum period of having the job listed as open.  They would have had to had a formal interview process.  As I said, it would take multiple weeks to go through the entire process.  It would have been very similar to the process for hiring the UND football coach when Bubba got the job.

This isn't a big secret.  Schlossman didn't have to ask the question, it has been discussed over and over again.  North Dakota hiring is very different from Ohio State hiring.  The same process applies for hiring an electrician, a University President, and a coach (although some of the timelines are slightly different).  Faison couldn't just go pick Sandelin or anyone else.  There was an effort during the last legislative session to limit the open records laws for some positions like coaches and top administrators at North Dakota colleges and universities.  That effort failed.  Hiring good quality assistants that can be promoted into head coaching positions as needed is the best way to work around those obstacles for places like UND and NDSU, that is what UND has done in this case.

• Upvote 4

Exactly. And none of the fire Hak posters on this board will ever acknowledge how this hiring has exposed them.

Don't go counting your chickens yet. He could get fired in two years called the worst flyers coach in history, and go coach the Fargo Force like blais after his NHL stint.

When negotiating coach Dave Hakstol’s last contract in 2012, Faison put a clause in the contract that specifically outlined a penalty fee if Hakstol left UND for an NHL head coaching position.

The Philadelphia Flyers hired Hakstol to be their head coach last week.

According to Hakstol’s contract, he will owe the school $100,000 for leaving his contract before June 30, 2015, for an NHL head coaching job.

If he were going to a minor league team or taking an assistant coaching job in the NHL, Hakstol would have owed $50,000. If he left for another NCAA team, he would have owed $318,270, which was his base salary for the 2015-16 season.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/3753340-hockey-hakstol-had-nhl-coach-clause-contract

Don't go counting your chickens yet. He could get fired in two years called the worst flyers coach in history, and go coach the Fargo Force like blais after his NHL stint.

Yes that could happen, but it doesn't change the fact that the biggest league in the hockey world came here to take Hak up there to take a chance on him because of what he has done!

Or Berry could lose 7 consecutive April games.

Or Berry could be an 8-time finalist for the Spencer Penrose Award as national coach of the year...

We can play this stupid game all day and it's not going to accomplish anything.  We don't know how Berry will do and there is no point in bashing Hak now that he is gone.  Take your negativity elsewhere.

• Upvote 4

According to the Herald Hak owes UND $100,000 for leaving early for NHL job - wouldn't it be nice if that money found it's way to football, basketball or upgrades to The Betty. 

According to the Herald Hak owes UND $100,000 for leaving early for NHL job - wouldn't it be nice if that money found it's way to football, basketball or upgrades to The Betty. 

Where that money ends up I don't know, but my guess is that the Flyers are going to be paying UND $100,000, not Hakstol.