SiouxSports.com Forum

Dave Hakstol Leaving to Coach NHL Philadelphia Flyers

Ray77

i guess this little fluff piece written by the philly writer rubbed me the wrong way...hak's legacy will not a legendary legacy like the previous couple of coaches bc of the 1000 pound gorilla in the room that the beat writer briefly mentioned in his article....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

i guess this little fluff piece written by the philly writer rubbed me the wrong way...hak's legacy will not a legendary legacy like the previous couple of coaches bc of the 1000 pound gorilla in the room that the beat writer briefly mentioned in his article....

Winning a Championship doesn't define your abilities as a player or coach.  Sure it plays a big role in where you stand with your conterparts.  But because Hak failed to win a National Title, it doesn't make him a bad coach.  Hate to use the Dan Marino analogy here, but it applies.  What Hak did during his time at UND is pretty impressive, and I am talking about more than just wins and loses.

Let me ask which is tougher:

A perfect 1.000 winning ratio for four games

or

A 0.571 winning ratio over 28 games (that's going 16-12)

It'd be interesting to go back through Hak's coaching career at UND and see how many 28 game stretches he went under a 0.571 ratio. 

• Upvote 2

Yeah, and the NHL playoffs aren't a one loss an done scenario like the NCAA tourney is.

1-7 against the best teams remaining in college hockey.

That's not a very good "best of series" against college hockeys top teams.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Good lord. What a joke. This writer pens a fantastic article about Hak and his legacy here and the CONTINUING legacy of UND and some are still ripping him? Why? It's so dumb. He's not coaching here this year. Move on. Cripes.

• Upvote 2

Hak will have a long legacy at UND that will outweigh most coaches at UND.

Haks legacy is he was a good coach. His teams often "overachieved," had good "second half runs," good in NCAA regionals, but always laid eggs in the semifinals.

again, how is it haks fault that Zane decided to play his worst game every this year against BU? should he have put in Johnson? Again, is it Haks fault that Luke Johnson hit a ton of posts?

1-7 against the best teams remaining in college hockey.

That's not a very good "best of series" against college hockeys top teams.

Wouldn't it be more accurate to use the whole NCAA tournament?  Then you're looking at 17-11 (.607 winning percentage).

Or look at it year by year:

Two years where he had a "losing" record of 0-1.

Two years where his record was ".500" at 1-1.

Seven years where he had a "winning" record of 2-1 (6x) or 3-1 (1x).

• Upvote 1

Pretty sure we have a clear leader in the clubhouse for Delusional Post of the Year....granted it's early there's still time but Siouxfan97 may have this locked up early.

Wow...I commend you sir, I didn't think ss.com posts could sink lower on the intellectual reasoning scale but, somehow..you've accomplished it. Congrats.

again, how is it haks fault that Zane decided to play his worst game every this year against BU? should he have put in Johnson? Again, is it Haks fault that Luke Johnson hit a ton of posts?

It isn't just one year; when it happens year after year after year, that is when people will start asking questions.  And a 1-7 Frozen Four record over a period of 11 years, it qualifies as a trend.  And trends cannot be 100% explained away by "lucky bounces", "puck luck", "one and done", "hot goalie", ect.

And yes, I might have put Johnson in, just to change the dynamic of the game.  I have seen it work in past games and it might have worked here.  But I guess we'll never know.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Wouldn't it be more accurate to use the whole NCAA tournament?  Then you're looking at 17-11 (.607 winning percentage).

Or look at it year by year:

Two years where he had a "losing" record of 0-1.

Two years where his record was ".500" at 1-1.

Seven years where he had a "winning" record of 2-1 (6x) or 3-1 (1x).

That's why I said best teams. Gotta weed out the crappy tournament teams, like the big tens autobid.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It isn't just one year; when it happens year after year after year, that is when people will start asking questions.  And a 1-7 Frozen Four record over a period of 11 years, it qualifies as a trend.  And trends cannot be 100% explained away by "lucky bounces", "puck luck", "one and done", "hot goalie", ect.

And yes, I might have put Johnson in, just to change the dynamic of the game.  I have seen it work in past games and it might have worked here.  But I guess we'll never know.

Do you not remember the Cam Johnson experiment in the Lake Superior State game?  Not sure what would make any coach pull Zane at any time during the playoffs.  So that is celarly not an option.  While I agree that the coach has a lot to do with how a team plays, in the end it is the payers.  So sick of hearing how Hak gets the blame for all these FF loses.  How bout putting a little blame on the players?  There the ones that are out there. 

Either way, I just hope all the Fire Hak (and now Fire Berry) nonsense can just go away.  Coaches put teams in posistions to win and to win big games.  And Hak has done that for 11 years hear at UND. 

Hak is gone.  People can stop riping on him now.

Do you not remember the Cam Johnson experiment in the Lake Superior State game?  Not sure what would make any coach pull Zane at any time during the playoffs.  So that is celarly not an option.  While I agree that the coach has a lot to do with how a team plays, in the end it is the payers.  So sick of hearing how Hak gets the blame for all these FF loses.  How bout putting a little blame on the players?  There the ones that are out there. 

Either way, I just hope all the Fire Hak (and now Fire Berry) nonsense can just go away.  Coaches put teams in posistions to win and to win big games.  And Hak has done that for 11 years hear at UND. 

Berry will likely get a "honeymoon" period, like most coaches do.  I will say that Hakstol did not get his "honeymoon" period, as he was following up a legend and that is always hard to do.  That I definitely don't blame him for.

I think Hakstol is a good fit for the NHL and I think he has a good chance to be successful, even though he coaches a team I can't stand (Flyers).

it's bad enough that hak is going to philly where riping coaches is what they do but to think that hak won't have an "x" on his back by opposing coaches that worked their way up from the echl, ahl, and then to assistants for many many years you are delusional...this is going to look pretty tame if hak goes to phily and becomes "a good coach."

It is amazing about a lot of the stuff behind the scenes that Hakstol has done and was not common knowledge.  I had no idea that he is the one that pushed for a series like "Through these Doors".  He also gave the fans more access to the inner workings of the program with Dan Hammer's weekly TV show about UND Hockey.  That will be huge going forward in giving exposure to the program, and will help with giving us a recruiting advantage going forward over most programs.  Like him or not, he has moved the program forward by leaps and bounds on giving the average fan access to the program. 

• Upvote 1

And you would have been the very first to rip Hak afterwards if Johnson was put in and immediately gave up a couple of goals.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

it's bad enough that hak is going to philly where riping coaches is what they do but to think that hak won't have an "x" on his back by opposing coaches that worked their way up from the echl, ahl, and then to assistants for many many years you are delusional...this is going to look pretty tame if hak goes to phily and becomes "a good coach."

I should have said "UND fans can stop riping him".  Philly fans, have at it.  Its in their blood to be pissed off at their sport teams and coaches!!

• Upvote 1

"'Hak' is a farmer," Jackson said. "I use that term endearingly. It's someone who works their ass off and does everything. He can fix the tractor, he can plant crops, he can harvest, he can deal with whatever to try and adapt and overcome everything. Here, he gets paid very well, but he's not driving a fancy car. He's a simple guy."

really? a simple guy living in a 700k house on ivy drive?? get real

I heard a rumor that Hakstol volunteers at The Humane Society euthanizing baby kitties and puppies and loves to swerve into puddles on rainy days so he can splash grannies trying to cross the street.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1