SiouxSports.com Forum

Dave Hakstol Leaving to Coach NHL Philadelphia Flyers

Ray77

Quote from story on CSNPhilly.com  “Hockey is about the only thing in the state of North Dakota,” Derek Forbort, a former Hakstol-coached player in the L.A. Kings organization, said. 

He's gonna earn some points in the FU Fantasy League with that quote. 

• Upvote 1

Quote from story on CSNPhilly.com “Hockey is about the only thing in the state of North Dakota,” Derek Forbort, a former Hakstol-coached player in the L.A. Kings organization, said.

He's gonna earn some points in the FU Fantasy League with that quote.

The funny thing is... It's about the only thing in forks. North Dakota as a state... Doesn't really support much outside of Class B Basketball.

I'm sure it's been said on here before, but Hakstol will not get any free rides from the Philly media like here did here in Grand Forks.  Nor the fans as they are the ones that booed Santa Claus and Mike Schmidt.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure it's been said on here before, but Hakstol will not get any free rides from the Philly media like here did here in Grand Forks.  Nor the fans as they are the ones that booed Santa Claus and Mike Schmidt.

not much to challenge if he never had a losing season....

not much to challenge if he never had a losing season....

Except for his abysmal 1-7 April record.  That type of performance will not "fly" in Philly nor anywhere else in the NHL.  For recent examples, see Dan Bylsma, who coached for 6 seasons, had 6 winning seasons, reached the playoffs 6 times, won the stanley cup, and was fired.  See Bruce Boudreau, who coached Washington for 4 seasons, had 4 straight winning seasons, had 4 straight southeast division titles, had 4 straight playoff appearances, had 1 president's trophy, and was fired 22 games into his 5th season with Washington . . . even though he had a winning record at the time.

I wish Hak the best of luck, but this is a whole different ball game for him.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Except for his abysmal 1-7 April record. That type of performance will not "fly" in Philly nor anywhere else in the NHL. For recent examples, see Dan Bylsma, who coached for 6 seasons, had 6 winning seasons, reached the playoffs 6 times, won the stanley cup, and was fired. See Bruce Boudreau, who coached Washington for 4 seasons, had 4 straight winning seasons, had 4 straight southeast division titles, had 4 straight playoff appearances, had 1 president's trophy, and was fired 22 games into his 5th season with Washington . . . even though he had a winning record at the time.

Ya think? Lol

Yea, because free rides is what he got here! And not winning the last two games of the year says it all! Man good thing he's not dead, what kind of beautiful things would you two say then?

If he makes the playoffs first year and then loses, you will say, see!

If he makes the next round then loses, you two will say, see!

If he loses in game 7 of the big series, you two will say........see, he can't win the big one!

This hiring alone makes your kind look ridiculous!

Except for his abysmal 1-7 April record.  That type of performance will not "fly" in Philly nor anywhere else in the NHL.  For recent examples, see Dan Bylsma, who coached for 6 seasons, had 6 winning seasons, reached the playoffs 6 times, won the stanley cup, and was fired.  See Bruce Boudreau, who coached Washington for 4 seasons, had 4 straight winning seasons, had 4 straight southeast division titles, had 4 straight playoff appearances, had 1 president's trophy, and was fired 22 games into his 5th season with Washington . . . even though he had a winning record at the time.

College hockey is one and done, so that means the best team isn't always going to win. At least in the NHL the odds are more in favor of the higher seeded teams.

Comparing college hockey coaches to NHL hockey coaches is like comparing apples to oranges, it just doesn't work. Any person with a brain would say that Hakstol was a successful college coach and any college hockey program would be delighted to pick him up as their own.

College hockey is one and done, so that means the best team isn't always going to win. At least in the NHL the odds are more in favor of the higher seeded teams.

Comparing college hockey coaches to NHL hockey coaches is like comparing apples to oranges, it just doesn't work. Any person with a brain would say that Hakstol was a successful college coach and any college hockey program would be delighted to pick him up as their own.

Okay, let's not turn this into a national titles vs. regular season success argument.  You know where that leads.  But I do agree with the bolded part; the NHL is a totally different ballgame for Hakstol.  You are going from an admiring local media that you are best buds with to a cut-throat, blood-thirsty Philadelphia sports media who makes a living chewing up and spitting people out for fun.  This is where Hak's patented mind-numbing coach-speak will serve him well.  He won't give them anything to hit him on the head with.

• Downvote 2

Okay, let's not turn this into a national titles vs. regular season success argument.  You know where that leads.  But I do agree with the bolded part; the NHL is a totally different ballgame for Hakstol.  You are going from an admiring local media that you are best buds with to a cut-throat, blood-thirsty Philadelphia sports media who makes a living chewing up and spitting people out for fun.  This is where Hak's patented mind-numbing coach-speak will serve him well.  He won't give them anything to hit him on the head with.

And let me make this clear, this applies to every coach at UND, not just Hakstol.  The local media has always had a buddy-buddy relationship with the coaches here.  And when someone dares say anything negative (see Ralston, Paul), they are penalized for it.  And I don't care who employs him either; it's a logical extension of how the Grand Forks media treats UND coaches.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And let me make this clear, this applies to every coach at UND, not just Hakstol.  The local media has always had a buddy-buddy relationship with the coaches here.  And when someone dares say anything negative (see Ralston, Paul), they are penalized for it.  And I don't care who employs him either; it's a logical extension of how the Grand Forks media treats UND coaches.

While I don't agree fully with you, that is something that is by no means unique to Grand Forks.  The Herald has had quite a few more than blunt pieces on UND athletics in the recent past.

While I don't agree fully with you, that is something that is by no means unique to Grand Forks.  The Herald has had quite a few more than blunt pieces on UND athletics in the recent past.

You are right, it isn't unique to Grand Forks.  But I was pointing out that this environment does not exist in the NHL, especially in a place like Philadelphia.

Yea, because free rides is what he got here! And not winning the last two games of the year says it all! Man good thing he's not dead, what kind of beautiful things would you two say then?

If he makes the playoffs first year and then loses, you will say, see!

If he makes the next round then loses, you two will say, see!

If he loses in game 7 of the big series, you two will say........see, he can't win the big one!

This hiring alone makes your kind look ridiculous!

actually I was taking a shot more at the kiss ass let's not write anything negative media here in grand forks.  this goes beyond hockey.  I wish Hakstol all the best and I wish he were still the coach and I will root for him all but two games a year.  my point was more of at Berry's hiring and everyone applauding it.  is he the best hire-maybe, probably.  but no one even wrote an article questioning as to why not look at former alum Sandelin or even Eades.  Sandelin has more titles this current coaching staff had combined.  with Hakstol we knew what we had and could expect.  the grass isn't always greener on the other side for those who are probably loading up Hakstol's items in the moving van as we speak..

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

actually I was taking a shot more at the kiss ass let's not write anything negative media here in grand forks.  this goes beyond hockey.  I wish Hakstol all the best and I wish he were still the coach and I will root for him all but two games a year.  my point was more of at Berry's hiring and everyone applauding it.  is he the best hire-maybe, probably.  but no one even wrote an article questioning as to why not look at former alum Sandelin or even Eades.  Sandelin has more titles this current coaching staff had combined.  with Hakstol we knew what we had and could expect.  the grass isn't always greener on the other side for those who are probably loading up Hakstol's items in the moving van as we speak..

So just write an article just to rattle cages? What if the writers believe Berry was the best choice?

If you feel (or anyone, for that matter) like it wasn't the best choice, write a letter to the editor.

Maybe, but is doing what you suggest worth it to go through the 30 day posting circus and subsequent interview proess when you feel like your best replacement is already on staff and can avoid all that because they are already a UND employee?  Not to mention a month plus of unrest where other teams are contacting UND's recruits and current players trying to make a decision whether to stay or go.

• Upvote 2

Maybe, but is doing what you suggest worth it to go through the 30 day posting circus and subsequent interview proess when you feel like your best replacement is already on staff and can avoid all that because they are already a UND employee?  Not to mention a month plus of unrest where other teams are contacting UND's recruits and current players trying to make a decision whether to stay or go.

You hit it right on the head about the recruits and returning players.  Why even go thru this if you know that a former NHL player/coach who was your #1 recruiter is the guy you want.  Now you can focus on the program having continuity and not having a speed bump along the way.  As far as the kiss butt media in GF, don't get me going on this.  

• Upvote 1