SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

21 hours ago, Tbone said:

Mick’s Office has been in that location for at least thirty years. I spent three days there one night in the late 80’s with their long islands teas. Great blue collar bar with a college mix. Still has cheap draft beer and pounders with dollar 1/4lb burgers on Tuesdays. 

And of course, the Hi Ho is still pretty awesome just not as affordable as it once was. 

Holy schnikes - that is 30 years ago... Yeah, feels more like 15...  I'm apparently now old and should start cane shopping soon.

Had a pizza delivered from Boss' Chicken and Pizza - pretty good pizza, I'd say 6/10

Little overpriced for size of za you get 

Hopefully they can stay in business with their late night delivery - deliver until 3 am during the week and 4 am during weekends- college kids should benefit from that

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Today I learned one of the more popular shows on the Food Network is filmed in East Grand Forks.

Girl Meets Farm is on its fourth season now.

Pretty cool seeing shots of Grand Forks in the opening scene of a TV show.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4446571-molly-yeh-joins-food-network-brand-new-series-girl-meets-farm

Several episodes feature Grand Forks "celebrities"

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2019 at 6:29 PM, Cratter said:

Today I learned one of the more popular shows on the Food Network is filmed in East Grand Forks.

Girl Meets Farm is on its fourth season now.

Pretty cool seeing shots of Grand Forks in the opening scene of a TV show.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4446571-molly-yeh-joins-food-network-brand-new-series-girl-meets-farm

I just ordered her cookbook from Amazon as a Christmas gift. That way I can borrow it to make Toasted Frog style cheesy fried pickles at home (I'm also a fan of Scotch Eggs).

https://www.splendidtable.org/story/from-juilliard-to-rural-minnesota-molly-yehs-unlikely-culinary-path

DL: I think they will. Let's talk about a section in the book called "Snacks and Celebration." There are some unusual dishes in there, such as Jerusalem Bagel Dogs, Asian Scotch Eggs, and Fried Cheesy Pickles. Where do the inspirations for these foods, these blendings come from? Take me through the Fried Cheesy Pickles, because when I looked at that, I thought, "I have to make this damn recipe."

MY: They're so good, and be careful when you make them. Invite your friends over so that you don't eat them all, because that will happen if you're not careful.

It's all different sources of inspiration. The Fried Cheesy Pickles -- that is the quintessential late-night food in Grand Forks, North Dakota. You go to the Toasted Frog, you get a gin and tonic, and you get Fried Cheesy Pickles. I looked at them and I said, "These would be so much fun to make!" It's just egg roll wrappers, cheese, and pickles, and you dip them in Sriracha ranch. It's so simple, but it's so good. The Asian Scotch Eggs were actually inspired by a restaurant in Boston called Myers and Chang, and they're brilliant. It's just pot-sticker filling around a soft-boiled egg, and fried. You can't go wrong.

The inspiration for these comes from traveling, from keeping my eyes out to finding things on menus that are a little bit quirky and different that I could maybe recreate at home, because I'm kind of out in the middle of nowhere. I can't get pizza delivery, so I'm forced to make everything myself.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, forksandspoons said:

Looks like this will be a cool addition to East Grand Forks. Owners are the same as Up North Pizza. 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4836500-New-East-Grand-Forks-restaurant-showcases-beloved-memorabilia

Unless something has changed recently there is no cross ownership.  Larocque sold his stake in Up North couple years ago.

• Upvote 1

Not Grand Forks, but Fargo related, tried Bird Brew (chicken place) in Fargo over the weekend. Very good and fun place.

Anyone try? Chicken sandwiches this day and age are selling more than burgers. Places like Chick-fil-A etc. are striving. Bird Brew is more of  order and sit down place. Not fast food, more fast causal. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2012 at 12:56 PM, crb1 said:

A little off topic but does anyone remember an ice cream joint over where Fat Alberts and Slapshot used to have their store kind of on the corner of 20th and Gateway next to the Little Ceasers or the tire place. I vaguely remember as I was little and my grandpa used to take me there for ice cream For some reason the Big Dipper comes to mind. I am not sure if that was the treat i got or the name of the ice cream shoppe. I also remember Happy Joes having much more ice cream and old fashion candy in the front of the restaurant. Those huge lollipops. You could also watch pizzas being made through a little window. Shakeys and Toppers were both good as well. I agree with Darell that the squirt tub of cheese was the best. I liked the nacho cheese. Fuddruckers as someone mentioned is pretty similar.

Softees (spelling may be off) was an ice cream place across from Hugo's on 20th and next door to Judy's Bar. It then changed its name to EJ's Soft Serve. The building is still there. That is the only place I remember being an ice cream place on 20th besides the DQ in its current location on Washington and N. 5th St. Brings back a lot of memories especially growing up in that neighborhood.

On 1/20/2020 at 10:31 AM, Fleurpink said:

Softees (spelling may be off) was an ice cream place across from Hugo's on 20th and next door to Judy's Bar. It then changed its name to EJ's Soft Serve. The building is still there. That is the only place I remember being an ice cream place on 20th besides the DQ in its current location on Washington and N. 5th St. Brings back a lot of memories especially growing up in that neighborhood. usa today protonmail

Brings back a lot of memories especially growing up in that neighborhood.

On 1/18/2020 at 1:28 AM, ChadR said:

Whens it opening? Have they even started work on it?

Tellmans are not opening it themselves , they are looking for a renter 

speaking of restaurants, anyone been to ground round lately?  The place is a dump.. wallpaper falling off the walls the floor crumbing in places. Used to be a great spot  

On 12/30/2019 at 12:42 AM, Cratter said:

While Girl Meets Farm is way bigger than Fargo film ever was.

You know you're big time when PCM covers you. 

http://blogs.und.edu/und-today/2020/01/lights-action-camera-eat/ 

And now you know what your Super Bowl pre-game plan are. ;)  

On 1/27/2020 at 8:08 AM, The Sicatoka said:

You know you're big time when PCM covers you. 

http://blogs.und.edu/und-today/2020/01/lights-action-camera-eat/ 

And now you know what your Super Bowl pre-game plan are. ;)  

It's a good one.

She's not a "fake" hockey fan either. She use to be a competitive figure skater and she met the twins in 2018 at the Winter Olympics in PyeongChang.

Showed them watching the UND vs Canisius game.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2019 at 10:09 AM, gfhockey said:

Shotgun Sally’s changed names to pour house 

Should have changed it to POOR CHOICE house - they let Gam Wong go and dumped their chinese menu page in favor of their '"fargo" menu - HUGE MISTAKE!   The old shangri-la food (and especially the Phoenix Chicken) was the only reason I went there - a LOT of other people would agree.  Best to Gam and I hope he lands on his feet in a new place where his talents can be appreciated.  Our last time there the waitress was rude and once we found out no chinese food the alternatives boring.  We won't be back.

• Upvote 2

The PourHouse in south Fargo is terrific plus Duane's Pizza is adjoining. Shotgun Sally's in Fargo has been trash from day one....awful. 

I pine for the days of food at the Shangri-La.......was a GF gem.

• Upvote 2