SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

Not trying to subtract from your post, but how many strip malls does one city need?

If they're anchored by and/or populated with a variety of up-and-coming and diverse restaurants, as many as possible. ;)

Your question is a fair one. The repurposed, former Golden Corral space is still 100% vacant, as I recall. And strips are planned for Columbia south of 36th. At least the Noodles/E&G/Spicy Pie strip is full. Time to jump-start the GF Economy thread, perhaps?

The BBQ at Dickeys was sub par at best, meats were fatty and quality was just poor so this does not surprise me at all. I was hearing that GF was going to finally get a Famous Daves and it was supposedly going in over by Borrowed Bucks but I have seen nothing on this.

Going forward, what do you envision on the corner of Wash/Demers? Clearly a restaurant can't survive. Anyone think a drive-thru coffee shop could make it?

Any ideas?

I'd love to see something cool here, but it doesn't seem like a drive-thru anything will work here - Driving thru seems to be part of the problem

I'm wondering if any restaraunt can't make it at that location.  The growth and shopping attractions are all happening farther south.  Unless you really wanted to eat at Dickeys or Mi Mexico or whatever was there, there is really no reason to be in that area unless one lives or works around there I suppose.

Maybe someone should try something like the ultimate cultural attraction of the Fargo-Moorhead area:

Ace Beer & Liquors: the little round liquor store with a drive thru!

https://www.google.com/#q=west+fargo+drive+through+liquor+store

< insert comment here about 'gfhockey' or 'Fetch' >

Still see them around occasionally. Usually sell coffee or something right?

I know there's at least one left in grand forks. They are all over the state of Washington and must do pretty well. But I think it's too cold here for bikini coffee drive thru's.

I swear I've heard it said that this used to be the busiest intersection in the state. Maybe it isn't anymore? But at 745am/5pm Monday thru Friday a left turn out of there or getting in there from the southbound lane on Washington wil be pretty difficult. Starbucks on 13th has a pretty difficult location and they seem to do pretty well. I'd take a Starbucks or something similar closer to the north end any day!

Or a restaurant that serves more than just a mediocre lunch like dickies did. Italian moon's location is pretty similar and they do better because their food is better. I'd go there for lunch or dinner. I'd avoid dickies for lunch and not even think about them for dinner.