SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

• 1 month later...
First appeared in Minot/GF in the 60s, was gone by the mid 70s. McDs like, used to get the big leo (big mac like) on Sundays for 19 cents in the early 70s. Don't believe it was very good but it was cheap

From what I've found, sounds like they were a drive in. Wonder if they are planning to do a drive in with the new restaurants?

not a traditional drive in, don't think they ever had a drive through either. Walk in, get your burger and fries at the counter, and carry out. There were a couple tables/booths inside to sit but not many. Obviously have to be old to remember this place, maybe old enough so you can barely remember

not a traditional drive in, don't think they ever had a drive through either. Walk in, get your burger and fries at the counter, and carry out. There were a couple tables/booths inside to sit but not many. Obviously have to be old to remember this place, maybe old enough so you can barely remember

I remember King Leo's in GF right a across from Henry's Hamburgers. Henry's was torn down down to make way for Sambo's and King Leo's replaced by Burger King. Sambo's is now Gramma Butterwicks.

I remember King Leo's in GF right a across from Henry's Hamburgers. Henry's was torn down down to make way for Sambo's and King Leo's replaced by Burger King. Sambo's is now Gramma Butterwicks.

I don't remember henrys or sambos

There was also a King Leo's on Gateway, just west of Washington. Small Burgers for 5¢.

Deluxe burgers only really sell now: Shane Shack, Smashburger, in&out. Mac and dons is definitely out.

There was also a King Leo's on Gateway, just west of Washington. Small Burgers for 5¢.

Deluxe burgers only really sell now: Shane Shack, Smashburger, in&out. Mac and downs is definitely out.

I remember Auto Dine being on Gateway just west of Washington. Did King Leo's preceed that?

Almost positive there was a King Leo's there first. Lived in the Riverside neighborhood and drove by it a lot.

I did an image search for Auto Dine on Google and found this

1930723_54514018874_21803_n.jpg?oh=9f99d

It looks like Crown Motor Co., across from GF Welding, now occupies the odd shaped building that was once Auto Dine.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Crown+Motor+Co/@47.932854,-97.053925,146m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x52c6814d7a7de73d:0x851866781898cd13

I found a couple of links to King Leo's ..... http://www.centralhighfargo58.org/andi20070505.htm

King Leo's is believed to be Fargo's first drive-in restaurant. It was founded by Leon Latz of Rochester, Minn., for whom it was named, and his brother, Bruce Latz, who moved from Grand Rapids, Minn., to Fargo to start the business here. It opened on Dec. 1, 1960, at 1833 S. University Drive. Burgers were 15 cents, cheeseburgers 19 cents and fries, malts and sodas completed the menu. 
space.gif At one time, King Leo's had restaurants in Rochester, Minn., Minot and Grand Forks, all operated by Leon Latz. They shut down before the Fargo store, which stayed open until 1978.

including a picture..33817910.jpg

http://www.alltravels.com/united-states/north-dakota/grand-forks/photos/current-photo-33817910