SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

3 hours ago, jdub27 said:

But what does that even mean? Well-positioned in what sense?

Don't get me wrong, they are still in an enviable position compared to a large majority of the FCS, but he needs to say something to placate the die-hards and try to keep interest up. Season ticket waitlist has long past evaporated and their will be quite a few more empty seats than past years in the dome.

Guessing if Chaves would be asked the same question, he would say UND continues to monitor the ever-changing landscape and will evaluate any opportunities that are presented. 

Neither one of what those AD's says can change the geography of the schools nor the limited recruiting and TV market they have, both of which are huge drivers in any conference realignment.

Season ticket sales were up this year. Forum article said they are at 13K now. I dont think there is a waiting list anymore really but... we'll see on the attendance. 

24 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

You really think these weren't private talks?

Of course they would be private. Kudos, you're definitely part of a very small, connected circle. I would keep the big information pretty close to the vest, no leaks over the past 6 months until you. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Even if those talks the MWC had with NDSU were real those talks have been suspended now.  The MWC might have a couple Big 12 leftovers fall in their lap.  No point in talking to NDSU when KSU is coming on the market.

exactly....plus both montana and idaho bring much much more to the table than the ndac...whether we four (sodaks and nodaks) realize it or not we are all probably attached at the hip for the next 100 years one way or the other.......

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

exactly....plus both montana and idaho bring much much more to the table than the ndac...whether we four (sodaks and nodaks) realize it or not we are all probably attached at the hip for the next 100 years one way or the other.......

Montana and Montana State.  Montana State has surpassed Montana as THE school in the state.  MSU is trending towards doubling the enrollment of Montana.  I think both together, rather than Idaho, would be most likely in this scenario.  

For anyone interested in the finances for the athletic departments at the D1 schools around the country (fbs & fcs), this list is GOLD.  Matt Brown, who broke the news on the Southland/WAC realignment, put together a directory that contains the athletic department financial reports for nearly every school in the country.  These are the reports that schools are typically obtained through FOIA requests, which schools are required to send to the NCAA each year.  The reports contain a bunch of detail on revenues and expenses for each sport at most of the schools.  Disclaimer: some of the data occasionally needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Posting this now because it is relatively new, but it's also very relevant, given the potential for conference realignment.

https://www.extrapointsmb.com/foia-directory/

4 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

Once again you don't know what you're talking about: Season ticket base of more than 13,000 signals fans will return to Bison football games | INFORUM

12500 season tickets last year up to 13200 this year.  By the way the MWC has been talking to NDSU for the last 6 months.  Don't know if anything will come of it but their interested. 

Dan, on the move up to FBS how many girls are you going to have on indoor/outdoor track team.  Plus, you are moving up in the heighten #metoo movement and Title 9.  Hell a couple of well placed tweets by your most famous alumni - US Rep - Ilhan Omar and NDSU has social media nightmare on its hands.

Dan, I would get your Title 9 stuff fixed up with the couple of million they have just laying around and start women's hockey.  Then think about FBS/MVC.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, FSSD said:

Dan, on the move up to FBS how many girls are you going to have on indoor/outdoor track team.  Plus, you are moving up in the heighten #metoo movement and Title 9.  Hell a couple of well placed tweets by your most famous alumni - US Rep - Ilhan Omar and NDSU has social media nightmare on its hands.

Dan, I would get your Title 9 stuff fixed up with the couple of million they have just laying around and start women's hockey.  Then think about FBS/MVC.

Not sure what #MeToo has to do with changing division 1 classifications.  And the fun thing about our esteemed alum Omar tweeting....it would only help NDSU lol. She isnt exactly a popular figure in the great state of ND. The GOP itself might start sending NDSU money then ;)

If the school needed to add a ladies sport, then they would have to figure that out. I'm not counting on them moving up, would love to see it though.

24 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

If NDSU wants to leave and join the MWC as it sits today I say see ya and good luck.  Your fan base will be bored stiff by year 2.  

I don't think the fan base would be bored.  The MWC isn't what it was in 2010 when it had Utah and TCU, but it is significantly better than the Missouri Valley.

EDIT:  Plus, with FBS (if NDSU somehow gets there)....you get much better nonconference games.  P5 games are a regular thing.  Sometimes multiple in a year.  After a decade of dominating, it seems like it is time for NDSU to move up if there is a viable option.  If you aren't moving forward you are moving backward, and there really isn't anything left at this level for NDSU to do.

30 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I don't think the fan base would be bored.  The MWC isn't what it was in 2010 when it had Utah and TCU, but it is significantly better than the Missouri Valley.

EDIT:  Plus, with FBS (if NDSU somehow gets there)....you get much better nonconference games.  P5 games are a regular thing.  Sometimes multiple in a year.  After a decade of dominating, it seems like it is time for NDSU to move up if there is a viable option.  If you aren't moving forward you are moving backward, and there really isn't anything left at this level for NDSU to do.

Doesn't matter how good they are.  Nobody knows anything about any of them and Boise wants out asap.  Familiarity level is nil

8 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

Once again you don't know what you're talking about: Season ticket base of more than 13,000 signals fans will return to Bison football games | INFORUM

12500 season tickets last year up to 13200 this year.  By the way the MWC has been talking to NDSU for the last 6 months.  Don't know if anything will come of it but their interested. 

The waiting list is gone. They extended the deadline for the many people that didn't renew. Tailgating passes were available in the main lot. I could call tomorrow and get season tickets for the first time in years. But tell me again how everything is fine. Want to do an over/under on sellouts this year? 

Would also love to hear what conversations have been going on "for the last 6 months". As things sit right now, there is nothing even close to happening because NDSU brings nothing but extra costs to the MWC. And that doesn't get your a sniff. 

And I'm sure, as already mentioned, there's a plan to shore up what is already a giant disparity in NDSU's Title IX numbers. A move up will require the addition of at least one women's sport if not two. But no worries, they are "well-positioned". :silly:

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jdub27 said:

The waiting list is gone. They extended the deadline for the many people that didn't renew. Tailgating passes were available in the main lot. I could call tomorrow and get season tickets for the first time in years. But tell me again how everything is fine. Want to do an over/under on sellouts this year? 

Would also love to hear what conversations have been going on "for the last 6 months". As things sit right now, there is nothing even close to happening because NDSU brings nothing but extra costs to the MWC. And that doesn't get your a sniff. 

And I'm sure, as already mentioned, there's a plan to shore up what is already a giant disparity in NDSU's Title IX numbers. A move up will require the addition of at least one women's sport if not two. But no worries, they are "well-positioned". :silly:

Increased season ticket holders from 12500 to 13200 - 200 season tickets left.  Do you know how dumb you sound bitching about a waiting list?  By the way how's the hawkers doing for tickets?  Don't know why MWC contacted Larson if that was true.  Our game in 23 with EWU at US Bank Stadium will draw 40-50K something you guys only dream about.  Things going back to normal in Fargo -  how about you guys?

8 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I really can't figure out your line of thinking. If a school ADDS season ticket holders, it will reduce any waiting list. The demand is not the same as it was 8 or 9 years ago, but 13,000+ season ticket holders (literally a record high) isn't exactly doom and gloom.

I think  ndsu is 15 years ahead.  NDSU has been building toward this since before coach Bohl.

As college football consolidates NDSU will be one of the few FCS programs needed in the FBS, probably MWC or a greatly changed Big 12.  Maybe, as some think a new conference.  

A new conference with FCS schools is UNDs best chance, if the university actually has the will to do it  

The region is growing. The old D2 NCC schools are now D1 playing FCS because they grew into it.   It will be the same for FBS.  To be realistic, the only school ready to make that jump is NDSU.

Why

• fargos growing population and prominence.
  • NDSUs generational dominance of regional college football including D2 and FCS
  • their demonstrated ability to compete with top FBS programs which has built them a huge regional audience and a solid national following.
  • Their program resembles an FBS football program in all phases including recruiting, fund raising and coaching. 
  • They have hosted Gameday twice!
  • Their stadium is famous, adequate and can add a large number of suits and several thousand seats.   They own 100% of the ticket revenues.
  • For the next 10-15 years UND gives half of football ticket revenues of a much smaller arena to pay for the hockey rink.  Tough to support an FBS program when you only have claim to revenue from 6,000 seats half of which have been empty for 10 years.
  • Media deals
  • NDSU fans travel and spend money much to the delight of Frisco and the FBS cities conquered  by the bison.

If UND goes undefeated in the scheduled FBS games they will take a big step toward NDSU’s current football status.  Financially UND has been weakened by the expensive and abandoned foray into the big sky  Revenues from the FCS games is much needed  

16 minutes ago, ndsutibig12 said:

I think  ndsu is 15 years ahead.  NDSU has been building toward this since before coach Bohl.

As college football consolidates NDSU will be one of the few FCS programs needed in the FBS, probably MWC or a greatly changed Big 12.  Maybe, as some think a new conference.  

A new conference with FCS schools is UNDs best chance, if the university actually has the will to do it  

The region is growing. The old D2 NCC schools are now D1 playing FCS because they grew into it.   It will be the same for FBS.  To be realistic, the only school ready to make that jump is NDSU.

Why

• fargos growing population and prominence.
  • NDSUs generational dominance of regional college football including D2 and FCS
  • their demonstrated ability to compete with top FBS programs which has built them a huge regional audience and a solid national following.
  • Their program resembles an FBS football program in all phases including recruiting, fund raising and coaching. 
  • They have hosted Gameday twice!
  • Their stadium is famous, adequate and can add a large number of suits and several thousand seats.   They own 100% of the ticket revenues.
  • For the next 10-15 years UND gives half of football ticket revenues of a much smaller arena to pay for the hockey rink.  Tough to support an FBS program when you only have claim to revenue from 6,000 seats half of which have been empty for 10 years.
  • Media deals
  • NDSU fans travel and spend money much to the delight of Frisco and the FBS cities conquered  by the bison.

If UND goes undefeated in the scheduled FBS games they will take a big step toward NDSU’s current football status.  Financially UND has been weakened by the expensive and abandoned foray into the big sky  Revenues from the FCS games is much needed  

dargo population is growing but how fast is enrollment growing at ndsu