SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

15 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

If the Big 12 doesn’t dissolve it will pick from the top teams in G5 conference. UHouston and Memphis would be top pics in my opinion. Boise too if they wanted to accept it. UCF wants to get to the P5 level too if they got invited.

the question is ...is the big 12 minus ou and texas a p5 conference when your backfilling with any of the above schools...the AAC would maybe a step above the big12...you have some very major urban centers in that conference....wich manhatten kansas, ames, iowa, and stillwater ok aren't...the AAC has houston, dallas, tampa, orlando, cincy, memphis. philly, new orleans....

21 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Yeah you are right Kansas and Iowa State are the only ones that have a chance to go to the Big 10

Kansas is the only school that has a chance at the Big Ten and their historically horrible football program eliminates them.  

Iowa State has no shot at the Big Ten.  Would be a net negative in revenue, no new markets, no new TV sets, and (while they are having a good season or two lately) they are historically bad in football and their basketball program is a train wreck right now.  The only thing they have going for them is they are AAU.

The thing to consider for Big Ten candidates is they have to increase the revenue pie.  In order to get an invite the school would need to bring about $60 million in revenue to the table to justify getting a slice of the already huge Big Ten pie.  Anything less and the Big Ten schools would be voting to get smaller payouts and subsidize their new addition.  Why do that?  It's the exact reason UT and OU just left the Big 12, they got tired of subsidizing the other Big 12 programs.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

the question is ...is the big 12 minus ou and texas a p5 conference when your backfilling with any of the above schools...the AAC would maybe a step above the big12...you have some very major urban centers in that conference....wich manhatten kansas, ames, iowa, and stillwater ok aren't...the AAC has houston, dallas, tampa, orlando, cincy, memphis. philly, new orleans....

No.  It's a G6 conference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yote 53 said:

Kansas is the only school that has a chance at the Big Ten and their historically horrible football program eliminates them.  

Rutgers football is pretty terrible as well but they still managed to get in (fully understand it was because they could then force the B1G channel on the NY/NJ cable market).
Kansas can at least bring basketball to the table, I wouldn't rule them out.

On Dom Izzo's show today while speaking to NDSU AD Matt Larson.

"NDSU is well positioned if a call came from an FBS Conference"

Thoughts? I realize it's all fluid, but I've always thought the worse possible scenario for UND would be NDSU jumping to FBS and UND staying FCS. That would be devastating. 

2 minutes ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

UND has to be better positioned then NDSU to go FBS.  UND needs to get its act together and get it done- in football, in other sports, in academics, in enrollment. 

How so?

Couldn't agree more about UND having to get its act together. I'm very jealous that NDSU has the Fargo media machine who is so engaged with this. Consistently a topic of discussion, I've never heard it once from the Herald staff. 

3 minutes ago, AJS said:

How so?

Couldn't agree more about UND having to get its act together. I'm very jealous that NDSU has the Fargo media machine who is so engaged with this. Consistently a topic of discussion, I've never heard it once from the Herald staff. 

Poor wording on my part- UND has to get better so that they are better positioned.  I don't think they currently are and they haven't taken things serious for far too long. 

25 minutes ago, AJS said:

Thoughts? I realize it's all fluid, but I've always thought the worse possible scenario for UND would be NDSU jumping to FBS and UND staying FCS. That would be devastating. 

just say it so it must be true....fargo didn't suddenly shift 500 miles south.....good god

35 minutes ago, AJS said:

But what does that even mean? Well-positioned in what sense?

Don't get me wrong, they are still in an enviable position compared to a large majority of the FCS, but he needs to say something to placate the die-hards and try to keep interest up. Season ticket waitlist has long past evaporated and their will be quite a few more empty seats than past years in the dome.

Guessing if Chaves would be asked the same question, he would say UND continues to monitor the ever-changing landscape and will evaluate any opportunities that are presented. 

Neither one of what those AD's says can change the geography of the schools nor the limited recruiting and TV market they have, both of which are huge drivers in any conference realignment.

UND has some significant challenges when it comes to FBS.  The first is the Alerus center capacity - I'm pretty sure the sound end can be blown out and renovated, but not sure on the cost or how much additional attendance it would net.  The second is its deal with the REA, and the REA taking such a huge cut of ticket sales, with no clear guidelines on how much profit gets sent back to UND after the REA puts most of it in it's piggy bank.  Did anyone see any announcements on how much money the REA allocated to UND this past year, by the way?  Pretty sure it's supposed to be a minimum of 500k annually, but I don't recall seeing an announcement.  Football revenue needs to flow back to football if UND ever does move to FBS.  UND also needs to do a better job of marketing - why is everything available for purchase either hockey apparel (without the hawk logo) or a generic UND/Fighting Hawks shirt?  UND has got to do a better job of marketing it's football program, and apparel is a huge part of that.  There's no reason my high school has more football shirts for sale than a D1 football team with nearly a 10k attendance average.  Also, PHASE TWO!!  Phase two appears to have stalled, similar to the Gateway project when Chaves was at EWU.  Not a fan of Chaves at the moment. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

Iowa State has no shot at the Big Ten.  Would be a net negative in revenue, no new markets, no new TV sets, and (while they are having a good season or two lately) they are historically bad in football and their basketball program is a train wreck right now.  The only thing they have going for them is they are AAU.

The thing to consider for Big Ten candidates is they have to increase the revenue pie.  In order to get an invite the school would need to bring about $60 million in revenue to the table to justify getting a slice of the already huge Big Ten pie.  Anything less and the Big Ten schools would be voting to get smaller payouts and subsidize their new addition.  Why do that?  It's the exact reason UT and OU just left the Big 12, they got tired of subsidizing the other Big 12 programs.

Kansas and their basketball program is very desirable to any conference. They get into the P4 conference because of their basketball program. Big Ten would fit great for them.

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

But what does that even mean? Well-positioned in what sense?

Don't get me wrong, they are still in an enviable position compared to a large majority of the FCS, but he needs to say something to placate the die-hards and try to keep interest up. Season ticket waitlist has long past evaporated and their will be quite a few more empty seats than past years in the dome.

Guessing if Chaves would be asked the same question, he would say UND continues to monitor the ever-changing landscape and will evaluate any opportunities that are presented. 

Neither one of what those AD's says can change the geography of the schools nor the limited recruiting and TV market they have, both of which are huge drivers in any conference realignment.

Once again you don't know what you're talking about: Season ticket base of more than 13,000 signals fans will return to Bison football games | INFORUM

12500 season tickets last year up to 13200 this year.  By the way the MWC has been talking to NDSU for the last 6 months.  Don't know if anything will come of it but their interested. 

3 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

Once again you don't know what you're talking about: Season ticket base of more than 13,000 signals fans will return to Bison football games | INFORUM

12500 season tickets last year up to 13200 this year.  By the way the MWC has been talking to NDSU for the last 6 months.  Don't know if anything will come of it but their interested. 

If that was true the fargo media would be creaming their pants with multiple articles per week.

6 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

their they're don't get ahead of yourself Bison Dan....

3 hours ago, AJS said:

Context is important, my original post was based off of Izzo’s tweet. We all know Larsen wouldn’t be foreclosing if he was in talks, but based on the quote, I was surprised by the clip.