SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

On 7/24/2021 at 2:06 PM, SiouxScore said:

It is like impossible to get ACC/Notre Dame because of their grant of rights contract with the conference. It sounds like the B1G is indeed gonna go big and look to expand west into the PAC with USC, UCLA, Oregon, Colorado, Washington being among the targets. The big tv partner fox is also encouraging this potential move. I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of it as it stretches the conference from literally coast to coast. I get it is football driven but think about like a baseball series you are gonna have Rutgers playing UCLA in a weekend conference series? Would be all kinds of strange. 

This would be awesome for college hockey with the potential of Big Ten teams at USC, Oregon, Colorado, Washington.  Expanding with programs like this out west would be huge for the growth of the game, and 10x more likely if a Big Ten landing spot was guaranteed.

45 minutes ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

UND absolutely cannot mess this up like they did the move to D-1.  Have to be prepared and ready.

Kinda glad to have had the spring FB season UND had and be perceived as a team on the rise. 

In 2016, Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard made this prescient statement: "The Big 12 exists because we have Texas and Oklahoma in the room. If we take Texas and Oklahoma out of the room, we're the Mountain West Conference." ...

"When you're losing two of the most visible programs, the network has the right to come and say, 'We're going to reduce the rights by X.'" one longtime, high-profile administrator said.

That means the Big 12 deal could drop from $37 million in annual revenue to as low as $9 million per school.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ig-12-for-sec/

23 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

None of the above.

You find a way into the Big 10 or Pac 12, come hell or high water. 

i don't think either would take those schools.....no matter what they offered.

big 10 would say no bc they are not aau (ia state is tho)...and pac 12 bc of geography and maybe academics?

29 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i don't think either would take those schools.....no matter what they offered.

big 10 would say no bc they are not aau (ia state is tho)...and pac 12 bc of geography and maybe academics?

All good points. 

However, if I am in the position of those school, I try everything.  

• Like 1

I think Baylor has issues if it ends up that the Big 12 dissolves.   I don't see their values as meshing with those west coast PAC 12 schools (at least its past reputation) and its not really a Big 10 candidate.  They along with K-State, Texas Tech & TCU must be the camp that is desperately hoping to keep this thing together.  Kansas, Iowa State and OK State may have slim opportunities elsewhere.  If any or all 3 of those hit the road, the previous 4 mentioned will certainly be up a creek without a paddle.  This will be a wild ride to watch.

15 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If the B1G holds to the "must be AAU" it's KU and Iowa State, ... or they go poaching the PAC12 or ACC. 

kansas yes to big10 bc of their  bball status and a promise to increase FB funding but no way the hawks want/let the little cyclones into their little club....

Does West Virginia get in to the ACC with Notre Dame to take that league to 16.  Restores the Backyard Brawl and its a solid football school with respectable hoops as well.  Media market is negligible, but it's 2 more senators in the pocket when the inevitable political wrangling occurs.

UNLV to Pac 12 makes sense as well, now that they are playing in Allegiant Stadium.  Just now sure who another good candidate is.  Boise State would be a good geographic fit to balance UNLV, but the academics are even weaker than UNLV's.  Don't see Colorado going big 10, Boulder definitely fits in with the West Coast culture.  If that conference had even adequate leadership, they would be dominant. 

22 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Things are going to get crazy again aren’t they? 

Actually, I don't think so.

In order for a conference to invite a school in that school has to be a net positive to the conference and bring in even more money.  As it sits today the BIG pays out the most revenue per school with the SEC a close second, which will more than likely change once OU and UT are added.  What school is out there that the BIG or the SEC could bring in that can increase their revenue pie?  And the school needs to be a free agent, or soon to be free agent.  Notre Dame and the ACC are tied up until 2036.  Unless the BIG looks to the PAC there is nobody they can add that increases the revenue pie.  There is nobody the SEC can add that increases the revenue pie.

I think conference realignment at the P4 level is done.  What remains is what the remaining Big 12 members do.  Add schools from the AAC and MWC or split up and go to the AAC and MWC.

1 hour ago, Yote 53 said:

In order for a conference to invite a school in that school has to be a net positive to the conference and bring in even more money.  As it sits today the BIG pays out the most revenue per school with the SEC a close second, which will more than likely change once OU and UT are added.  What school is out there that the BIG or the SEC could bring in that can increase their revenue pie?  And the school needs to be a free agent, or soon to be free agent.  Notre Dame and the ACC are tied up until 2036.  Unless the BIG looks to the PAC there is nobody they can add that increases the revenue pie.  There is nobody the SEC can add that increases the revenue pie.

I think conference realignment at the P4 level is done.  What remains is what the remaining Big 12 members do.  Add schools from the AAC and MWC or split up and go to the AAC and MWC.

big 10 will look at north carolina and kansas. (think bball credits!) and virginia

sec will grab nc state and since they are doubling in some some states why not clemson, florida state, and ga tech?

23 hours ago, Kab said:

Does anyone thing the big sky and mvfc have had any conversations on a new conference that could move up on their timeframe or do think a few teams are hoping to get and invite and leave others behind?

would think both Montana’s and South Dakota teams would need to move together with their legislatures 

would be a football only conference or all sports 

Big Sky and MVFC could have the opportunity to move up to the MWC but there is no way any of those FCS teams are going to be invited to the Big 12.

best case scenario for the Big 12 is that they only lose Texas and Oklahoma, with Kansas and Iowa State staying put. The Big 12 would only need to add 2-4 teams to remain a viable conference. Memphis and Houston are likely candidates with UNLV and Boise State as other options but they may want to wait for a PAC-12 invite. Central Florida or some other popular G5 east coast teams may be an option to fill out the conference with 12 teams. 

1 hour ago, Yote 53 said:

Kansas is the only desirable member of the remaining Big 12, the other P5 conferences don’t want to add any of the rest. I bet the Big 12 will have to backfill with new members to keep their P5 ambitions alive. The big 12 already has a waiver to have a conference championship with only 10 teams so they may need to add more to get back to 12

the big 10 could poach Kansas and Iowa State at a minimum and maybe add Kansas State and UWV to be nice

where the rest of the big 12 would go would be G5 conferences or add teams to hopefully stay with the P5

5 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Kansas is the only desirable member of the remaining Big 12, the other P5 conferences don’t want to add any of the rest. I bet the Big 12 will have to backfill with new members to keep their P5 ambitions alive. The big 12 already has a waiver to have a conference championship with only 10 teams so they may need to add more to get back to 12

the big 10 could poach Kansas and Iowa State at a minimum and maybe add Kansas State and UWV to be nice

where the rest of the big 12 would go would be G5 conferences or add teams to hopefully stay with the P5

big 10 will not take non aau members...they actually might kick out nebraska during all this bc they lost that status years ago...

does the remaining big12 take from the mwc, c-usa, or the american?  if the mwc loses new mexico, bsu, air force, fresno state, colorado state, unlv, or sdsu who do they replace those schools with...don't see a lot of southern bigger schools fighting to go to laramie, logan, or reno in the winter?

wonder where wyoming, Utah state, and nevada end up....big sky 2.2?

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

does the remaining big12 take from the mwc, c-usa, or the american?  if the mwc loses new mexico, bsu, air force, fresno state, colorado state, unlv, or sdsu who do they replace those schools with...don't see a lot of southern bigger schools fighting to go to laramie, logan, or reno in the winter?

wonder where wyoming, Utah state, and nevada end up....big sky 2.2?

If the Big 12 doesn’t dissolve it will pick from the top teams in G5 conference. UHouston and Memphis would be top pics in my opinion. Boise too if they wanted to accept it. UCF wants to get to the P5 level too if they got invited.

• Like 1