SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

59 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

I have question if the Summit is looking for 10 th  school why hasn't Northern Colorado been looked at. They are much closer to number of the Summit league school for travel and they would have natural travel partner in Denver. Also Denver has direct flights to most of the schools in the Summit league much easier traveling and costs would have to be lower than in the Big Sky. Is there are other reasons for not wanting to be in the Summit.

Because with St. Thomas, the Summit will finally have a presence in the Twin Cities.  This will provide the league with more exposure in one of their most important recruiting territories for both athletes and normal students.  St. Paul/Minneapolis probably has more alumni from summit schools than any other city in the the country as well.  It's also a huge media market, and it's actually closer than Greely to more of the Summit league schools.  It's also closer than Greeley to another large airport.  UNC/Greeley wouldn't really move the needle in any of these areas, and from what I've read, St. Thomas seems to have been DU's preference as well.  Does anyone in Denver care about UNC?

I guess i forgot about the football reason. But what i was thinking if Western ILL. leaves the Summit i would think the Summit would be looking for another school to get back to 10 schools. I also think if big 5 conferences go separate from Division 1 will the remaining Division 1 schools all be part of one division group or will we end up with two different classes here again. My thought we will be back to where we were in division 2 some 25 years ago when number of schools will want to curtail scholarships to cut costs and make everyone more equal than top tier of remaining Division I athletics. So we could end up with two separate divisions for football with upper tier being able to play against the big 5 conferences as pay date for these schools.  History has way of repeating itself because if you look back a lot of Big Sky schools  and Missouri Valley conference were division 2 but they then went to then was Division 1A.  The old North Central Conference schools which we were apart of stayed until Division 2 had become so watered down and wanting to still cut back more they to left. So my thinking is are we going to see something similar to this again only we will want to stay in this upper tier of Division I schools for football.

I want to correct my above statement it wasn't 25 years ago in was in late 70's and early 80's number schools went Division 1AA another correction. The difference also was reading was Big Sky came from large college division prior to 1973 and competed in Division 2. Where North Central Conference was always small college and division 2 in all sports. But reading some on history from 72 to 73 we are similar path on how college sports are going to be structured in coming years.

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Looking at the new WAC conference, once Chicago State leaves, there appears to be a BIT of an outlier in the Pacific Northwest.  

So... what about Seattle and their plans going forward?

gonzaga to MWC ...seattle is their replacement

• 2 weeks later...

ASUN announcement tomorrow.  It sounds like Central Arkansas, Jacksonville St. and Eastern Kentucky are set to join.  Two of those teams are OVC and they both play football.

OVC with 6 football and 10 total:

• Do they look to Western Illinois
  • Are conferences looking at Murray St. - Missouri Valley was looking closely last time.

MVC with 5 + 1 NS football and 10 total - do they sit tight or are they proactive:

• If they make a move is it Murray St. and who is the pair? Or are they thinking they may lose a school.
  • If Murray St joins... do they start football with an autobid and YSU as an associate member for 7 schools.  It gets rid of the Dakota schools travel and having to compete with COA schools.  It would reduce costs.
  • You have to remember that the Big East is going to 11 teams in 2021 with UCON joining.  Does it cause a shift in private basketball schools from Big East to A-10 to MVC  a potential players would by Loyola of Chicago.

Summit with 5 football and 10 total with St. Thomas coming on line next year.

• Does Western Illinois at look at OVC.  Smaller budgets for football might be more competitive and lower costs.
  • Does ORU look south again to the Southland conference after all the shifting toward to WAC.
  • Do they need St. Thomas to think about scholarship football sooner than expected and start talking to UNC? or Augustana - Is this what drives Summit to start football.

Southland with 6 football and 8 total - is kind of on life support at this point. 

• They need everyone to sit tight.  Then take a look at other FCS schools and they will need call ups from D-II.

WAC with 8 +1 FBS football and 13 total (not including Chicago St.):

• How stable is the Big Sky with a new Southwest conference WAC in its back yard.  Are Northern Arizona and Weber St looking to join S. Utah and the other Utah reclassifying school (Dixie St.).
  • Is UNC nervous about potential Big Sky changes are they talking with the Summit League.
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, FSSD said:

ASUN announcement tomorrow.  It sounds like Central Arkansas, Jacksonville St. and Eastern Kentucky are set to join.  Two of those teams are OVC and they both play football.

OVC with 7 football and 10 total:

• Do they look to Western Illinois
  • Are conferences looking at Murray St. - Missouri Valley was looking closely last time.

MVC with 5 + 1 NS football and 10 total - do they sit tight or are they proactive:

• If they make a move is it Murray St. and who is the pair? Or are they thinking they may lose a school.
  • If Murray St joins... do they start football with an autobid and YSU as an associate member for 7 schools.  It gets rid of the Dakota schools travel and having to compete with COA schools.  It would reduce costs.
  • You have to remember that the Big East is going to 11 teams in 2021 with UCON joining.  Does it cause a shift in private basketball schools from Big East to A-10 to MVC  a potential players would by Loyola of Chicago.

Summit with 5 football and 10 total with St. Thomas coming on line next year.

• Does Western Illinois at look at OVC.  Smaller budgets for football might be more competitive and lower costs.
  • Does ORU look south again to the Southland conference after all the shifting toward to WAC.
  • Do they need St. Thomas to think about scholarship football sooner than expected and start talking to UNC? or Augustana - Is this what drives Summit to start football.

Southland with 6 football and 8 total - is kind of on life support at this point. 

• They need everyone to sit tight.  Then take a look at other FCS schools and they will need call ups from D-II.

WAC with 8 +1 FBS football and 13 total (not including Chicago St.):

• How stable is the Big Sky with a new Southwest conference WAC in its back yard.  Are Northern Arizona and Weber St looking to join S. Utah and the other Utah reclassifying school (Dixie St.).
  • Is UNC nervous about potential Big Sky changes are they talking with the Summit League.

I forgot to add the ASUN schools that are football - 5 schools, 1 FBS and 1 non-scholarship:

- *Kennesaw State, *North Alabama, Eastern Kentucky, Jacksonville State, Central Arkansas - * currently Big South

The 6th schools being mentioned are:  Austin Peay (OVC again) and  Tennessee at Chattanooga (SoCon).

NOTE:  Update OVC to have 7 schools.  I was already counting Murray St as gone..  opps.

7 hours ago, MDtoGF said:

We wrote a proposed realignment for college hockey, give it a read and let us know your thoughts! 

https://seamoresports.com/2021/01/29/a-place-for-everyone-realignment-of-division-one-mens-college-hockey/

I’d take Air Force and ASU Instead of Miami and Western Michigan. Poor Bemidji, so close yet so far away. It would be cool to see the 5 DI MN non B1G schools all in one conference one day. 

3 hours ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

I’d take Air Force and ASU Instead of Miami and Western Michigan. Poor Bemidji, so close yet so far away. It would be cool to see the 5 DI MN non B1G schools all in one conference one day. 

when we go to the Big10 for hockey all 5 D1 MN schools will be back together with omaha, denver, and cc.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, MDtoGF said:

We wrote a proposed realignment for college hockey, give it a read and let us know your thoughts! 

https://seamoresports.com/2021/01/29/a-place-for-everyone-realignment-of-division-one-mens-college-hockey/

nice article...put UND in the Big 10 and then reshuffle those schools again and see what you come up with.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Lots of talk of the bison going to the Mountain West from Izzo on Bison Illustrated podcast. Good points made about the worst of the worst bowl games getting better ratings than the fcs championship game. Will they do it? Can North Dakota State compete with the Rainbow Warriors? 

On 4/8/2021 at 9:04 PM, SiouxHawkGuy said:

Lots of talk of the bison going to the Mountain West from Izzo on Bison Illustrated podcast. Good points made about the worst of the worst bowl games getting better ratings than the fcs championship game. Will they do it? Can North Dakota State compete with the Rainbow Warriors? 

don't feel the trolls...izzo is in an echochamber and he doesn't even know it.

As has been discussed here several times...

too far west for MAC

too far east for MWC

too far north for Big 12. ;)

if Izzo thinks NDSU will go FBS, it will most likely have to be with all the Dakota schools to provide depth and travel partners. Or at least, at a minimum, SDSU. Then UND should do whatever is necessary to not be left behind again.  :whistling:

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

For conference realignment, FCS, and general NCAA news, these are a couple great sources for those of you who are not aware.

Matt Brown at Extra Points - he has his own news letter and has compiled documents from all of the FOIA requests that he has made.  He has pretty much all of the NCAA financial reports for individual schools, listed here for free: https://www.extrapointsmb.com/foia-directory/

This is the guy that broke the most recent FCS WAC news.  Here is his most recent article: https://www.extrapointsmb.com/the-latest-on-d-1-conference-realignment/ Some of his stuff is free and some of it is behind a paywall.  

Also CollegeAD Newsfeed - this is a news feed for all D1 AD news, and it includes lots of smaller happenings and some rumors - their rumors from their own sources are behind a pay wall, but the topics are not hidden.  https://collegead.com/newsfeed/

With slow news and summer, I figured I'd mention these because they are interesting if anyone likes to keep up with this stuff.  I think SiouxVolley may have gotten some of his unique, under the radar, news from College AD, and unfortunately he is no longer around to keep us informed of certain happenings, whether or not they are relevant lol.   rip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Matt Brown, who broke the WAC/Southland/AtlanticSun stories and some MVC news, seems to think that the MVC is targeting UTA, based on FOIA requests.  While the UTA possibility is somewhat old news now, he now thinks that Little Rock might end up in the Summit league - I assume based on new FOIA requests.  

See post #25 https://csnbbs.com/thread-924859-page-2.html
and post #58 https://csnbbs.com/thread-921547-page-3.html

Little Rock would make for a great travel partner if the MVC doesn't take Oral Roberts.  Little Rock would probably have the best arena in the league, imo.  What do you guys think of this?  Would Little Rock improve the league?  It would certainly be better than an Augie addition...  Travel partners could then be UST/SDSU, USD/UNO, DU/UMKC,ORU/ULR.  WIU would have to be gone obviously.