SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

He looked ok. Played 11 minutes and was a -1.

Unfortunately he got beat gliding and reaching on the first Vegas goal.... but his whole line looked like an unhinged unit playing together basically for the first time.... 

...because they were playing together for the first time.

18 hours ago, Siouxperior said:

Was at my daughters graduation on Friday (way to go Kiddo!!) and a little further down the list of graduating students was Rhett Gardner. He wasn't at the ceremony but congrats to him too!

Love that these guys keep plugging away at the online classes UND offers.

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

As the decade comes to a close, I want to give a shout out to an unheralded personal favorite, the True Sioux of the decade: Connor Gaarder.

Coming in as a last second replacement for a late defection, I admit a bias against his hometown (justified) and previous league (less justified, although the NAHL is much better now).  As luck would have it, we wound up shorthanded that season, and once he cracked the lineup he never left. No quit in his game, always gave it his all. When we got into it with WMU at Lawson, literally every player was physically overmatched, and he was the only one holding his ground. Scored one of the most memorable goals of the decade, and scored in every Frozen Four game he played in. Also single-handedly prevented BU from sweeping us in our barn.  A team full of players like him would be fun to watch. Cheers to you, Connor.

I loved the guy.

On 12/11/2019 at 1:33 PM, SJHovey said:

So Brad S. reports that the 2015-16 team with 11 players having played an NHL game is second only to the 1981-82 team with 12.

Whether Cam Johnson would ever get a shot to see actual game action is questionable in my opinion.  But I do have an outside candidate from the '15-16 team who could be the 12th.

Chris Wilkie.

So - apparently having high end studs pays off.

10 hours ago, Irish said:

So - apparently having high end studs pays off.

Two of them were first rounders, hardly the first time we've seen that with this program.  All the rest were fourth rounders or later, or even undrafted.  A lot of things have to come together just right to win a title.

• Like 1

First rounders usually perform at a pretty high level as freshmen, and they rarely stay around longer that soph.   But we are hardly ever talking about more than two players.  There has to be enough speed and skill in the rest of the roster, something we have lacked the last couple of years, but that is no secret. 

16 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

As the decade comes to a close, I want to give a shout out to an unheralded personal favorite, the True Sioux of the decade: Connor Gaarder.

Coming in as a last second replacement for a late defection, I admit a bias against his hometown (justified) and previous league (less justified, although the NAHL is much better now).  As luck would have it, we wound up shorthanded that season, and once he cracked the lineup he never left. No quit in his game, always gave it his all. When we got into it with WMU at Lawson, literally every player was physically overmatched, and he was the only one holding his ground. Scored one of the most memorable goals of the decade, and scored in every Frozen Four game he played in. Also single-handedly prevented BU from sweeping us in our barn.  A team full of players like him would be fun to watch. Cheers to you, Connor.

and the grandson of this foul-mouthed legend!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...