SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

19 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Unlike many teams our O line recruiting has been very talented and deep. Yea I’m worried about replacing starters with guys who have never played but I think we have a full stable of guys that can step up! O line recruiting has been one of our biggest strengths!

my biggest concerns are still on the defensive side. I think our secondary can step up but are our d line and linebackers ready to step up? Is it scheme? Either way I hope we have it figured out 

Let's hope the new OL coach can keep it up. Worries me that 2 starters have left (one from the area) since he got hired and Pawlek left. I just don't see a lot of positives with this team this upcoming year but man I hope I am completely wrong!

I don’t think schemes will change under bubba

his way or the highway

i hope the new strength coach has some positive impact 

‘I also wonder if we lose a QB after the starter is named 

Losing that many starting OL is a bummer as that was strength of the team. However, I do agree that it shows UND is recruiting the right guys at that position. Hoping the new OC makes it easy on the new starters on the OL and get Ziebarth, Smith, Seidl, and Hunt going downhill. It seemed like Danny would sometimes go away from the run a bit too early (South Dakota game). 

Who all returns with any sort of experience on the OL? Anderson, Becher, Kuntz, Thaden, Olson. Missing anyone? 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Kab said:

I don’t think schemes will change under bubba 

Allowing each new coordinator to run the offenses/defenses/special teams as they see fit seem to contradict that.
Obviously the preference isn't for an Air Raid offense that keeps the defense gassed and the three units play complementary football, but I am not sure I've seen anything that he's dictated certain things. Just look at the huge change between Rudy and Danny's offense for proof of that.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Allowing each new coordinator to run the offenses/defenses/special teams as they see fit seem to contradict that.
Obviously the preference isn't for an Air Raid offense that keeps the defense gassed and the three units play complementary football, but I am not sure I've seen anything that he's dictated certain things. Just look at the huge change between Rudy and Danny's offense for proof of that.

I’m thinking of the 3/4 defense, seems like he is stuck on that, good or bad , no tight end use 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Kab said:

I’m thinking of the 3/4 defense, seems like he is stuck on that, good or bad , no tight end use 

Actually I think there are a number of teams that have moved to more of a 3/4 defense - one of them was YSU.  I can't recall the others.  But, teams are moving toward this approach because of the read option and running QBs.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

And throw the ball further than 3 yards in the air

Don’t disagree. Do we have any one that will actually take the top off the defense (if a QB can get it there too)? I know Caden Dennis is supposed to be that guy. Nate D too? Bo and Tai are more of the slot type guys, right? I suppose they’re both talented enough where they could too. Hakim going to be ready?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/24/2024 at 7:36 PM, Hawkster said:

Fixed your post.

Key point to our struggles has been the absence of our TE’s in our passing schemes. If anyone listened to Nick Saban last night he discussed how involving athletic TE’s as an integral part of an offense makes things much more difficult for defenses. It can force your corners into more single coverages. It also creates the challenge of committing safety help vs LB’s athletic/quick enough  to cover the TE in man coverage. 
I recently discussed the use of TE’s in the passing game with 3 of our former coaches and their opinions were all similar to Saban’s. 

On a related note some of you may be surprised at the actual size of some of the defensive linemen  and LB’s in the draft. The idea that DL have to weigh 260lbs or more and LB’s need to be over 230lbs is not an opinion shared by those same coaches. (They all coached at the FBS level).  Speed, quickness, intelligence and athletic ability are more important that the extra 20-30 lbs, especially for LB’s and DE’s.  Slot receivers, athletic TE’s, running QB’s have put a premium on speed and quickness and athletic ability for LB’s and DL. 
In looking at 40 times for WR I was surprised at how so many ran 4.45 or greater. We have and have had guys who can do that. I read a lot of comments about how our WR’s lack enough speed to be a deep threat. The majority of deep throws are 20-45yds. Most of the time the receiver is already open in the first 20-25yds from LOS and if they catch the ball when they break open a lot of the long pass plays are after the catch.  
To me, the key to 2024 for us is the OL, accuracy of QB, and whether or not we are smart enough to scheme our TE’s into our offense and speed, quickness and intelligence on defense.  It starts with OL or else the other key components won’t be as effective. 
On defense it is speed, strength, quickness and intelligence more than size.  Yes, a bigger guy with speed quickness and intelligence is preferable but it starts with speed strength and quickness. 

• Upvote 4

50 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Key point to our struggles has been the absence of our TE’s in our passing schemes. If anyone listened to Nick Saban last night he discussed how involving athletic TE’s as an integral part of an offense makes things much more difficult for defenses. It can force your corners into more single coverages. It also creates the challenge of committing safety help vs LB’s athletic/quick enough  to cover the TE in man coverage. 
I recently discussed the use of TE’s in the passing game with 3 of our former coaches and their opinions were all similar to Saban’s. 

On a related note some of you may be surprised at the actual size of some of the defensive linemen  and LB’s in the draft. The idea that DL have to weigh 260lbs or more and LB’s need to be over 230lbs is not an opinion shared by those same coaches. (They all coached at the FBS level).  Speed, quickness, intelligence and athletic ability are more important that the extra 20-30 lbs, especially for LB’s and DE’s.  Slot receivers, athletic TE’s, running QB’s have put a premium on speed and quickness and athletic ability for LB’s and DL. 
In looking at 40 times for WR I was surprised at how so many ran 4.45 or greater. We have and have had guys who can do that. I read a lot of comments about how our WR’s lack enough speed to be a deep threat. The majority of deep throws are 20-45yds. Most of the time the receiver is already open in the first 20-25yds from LOS and if they catch the ball when they break open a lot of the long pass plays are after the catch.  
To me, the key to 2024 for us is the OL, accuracy of QB, and whether or not we are smart enough to scheme our TE’s into our offense and speed, quickness and intelligence on defense.  It starts with OL or else the other key components won’t be as effective. 
On defense it is speed, strength, quickness and intelligence more than size.  Yes, a bigger guy with speed quickness and intelligence is preferable but it starts with speed strength and quickness. 

How has having smaller LB and DL worked so far for UND? The answer is not good at all!

5 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

How has having smaller LB and DL worked so far for UND? The answer is not good at all!

You miss my point. How big do you think they need to be?  
My point is how important speed/strength/quickness is.  Slow big guys aren’t very effective.  I agree that when combined with size it is even better.  Small slow guys are worse. 

8 hours ago, iramurphy said:

You miss my point. How big do you think they need to be?  
My point is how important speed/strength/quickness is.  Slow big guys aren’t very effective.  I agree that when combined with size it is even better.  Small slow guys are worse. 

I think in summary - Bubba needs to recruit better players 

9 hours ago, Irish said:

I think in summary - Bubba needs to recruit better players 

Yup and that means speed, quickness and strength, more than height and weight listed in a program. Hopefully, those traits and appropriate weight gain will improve with the speed and strength training program. 

On 4/24/2024 at 9:34 AM, Sioux>Bison said:

Pretty good numbers for a school that only recruits d2 talent!

The roster mostly consists of division 2 talent, not division 1 talent. A few talented students come to campus but don't stay. The new facilities may attract more top-end talent, which is essential for a championship-quality football team.

Now, the leadership and motivation of the current talent (hence the exodus) is another issue … 

Current $ from NIL is of course factor too. 

48 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The roster mostly consists of division 2 talent, not division 1 talent. A few talented students come to campus but don't stay. The new facilities may attract more top-end talent, which is essential for a championship-quality football team.

Now, the leadership and motivation of the current talent (hence the exodus) is another issue … 

Current $ from NIL is of course factor too. 

NIL is a bigger factor to the exodus and everyone of us can continue to complain about over and over or step up and write the checks.  It can go directly to the talent you want to keep.  

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, homer said:

NIL is a bigger factor to the exodus and everyone of us can continue to complain about over and over or step up and write the checks.  It can go directly to the talent you want to keep.  

how much money/impact have holth and bonzer had so far.......