SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

4 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

I Bubba follows his usual pattern this will be the year we miss the playoffs altogether and then the athletic dept has the money.  I agree with Oxbow, it's a money grab.

You might be on to something about the idea originating with REA KEM.

fixed

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

The secondary argument is they get a home playoff game and actually win and get a second one. What's the procedure to secure tickets for that one?  Oh wait......nevermind. 

Pure gold lol.  Though if getting one......much less two postseason wins in a season is the benchmark for UND athletic teams.........

On 4/16/2024 at 9:10 AM, gundy1124 said:

We can't keep a kid from Fordville, ND on the roster, holy crap.  

On 4/16/2024 at 10:46 AM, forksandspoons said:

You can blame the portal all you want but UND did lose its best two offensive coaches. Who let that happen? 

On 4/16/2024 at 9:51 AM, Oxbow6 said:

So season ticket renewals are available starting today. Everyone will be charged for tickets upfront for a home playoff game for the 2024 season.  If no playoff game  in 2024 then those dollars are carried over for a potential 2025 home playoff game.  Ridiculous IMO. One should have the option to buy playoff tickets....not be forced to buy and prepay for those tickets. Based on the schedule there is minimal chance of making the playoffs much less hosting. Just another money grab.

Bubba ball and Chaves coordinating …

Ridiculous. 
Influential donors need to start demanding results/wins, not nice guy hand-shakes. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Bubba ball and Chaves coordinating …

Ridiculous. 
Influential donors need to start demanding results/wins, not nice guy hand-shakes. 

Define influential donor.  4 figures? 5 figures? 6, 7, 8 figures?  

In my experience, most donors give to organizations as a sign of gratitude for how they have benefited from their previous relationships with an organization or support for future success of an organization that they feel is important to them or their community. Very few major donors give with the idea that recipients will respond to their demands. They don’t tend to “demand” anything, even a handshake. 

It can happen, as it recently did, with billionaire donors pulling donations from a number of our nation’s universities but only after said universities were garnering negative coverage by major media outlets.  

I believe rather than trying to dictate how  should interact with our athletic department staff, we should become influential donors ourselves then make an appointment with the decision makers to express our concerns. I can tell you it’s going to take donations more than 6 figures to get the kind of attention we think that should get us. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Define influential donor.  4 figures? 5 figures? 6, 7, 8 figures?  

In my experience, most donors give to organizations as a sign of gratitude for how they have benefited from their previous relationships with an organization or support for future success of an organization that they feel is important to them or their community. Very few major donors give with the idea that recipients will respond to their demands. They don’t tend to “demand” anything, even a handshake. 

It can happen, as it recently did, with billionaire donors pulling donations from a number of our nation’s universities but only after said universities were garnering negative coverage by major media outlets.  

I believe rather than trying to dictate how  should interact with our athletic department staff, we should become influential donors ourselves then make an appointment with the decision makers to express our concerns. I can tell you it’s going to take donations more than 6 figures to get the kind of attention we think that should get us. 

In this day and age, 6 to 7 figures minimum. See recent Sanford gift (https://blogs.und.edu/und-today/2024/04/und-announces-6-5-million-gift-from-sanford-health/).

As we sit at present, UND leaders prefer cost-effective, comfortable football coaching options and a hockey focus over perhaps more risky coaching enhancements, while sentiment-driven football donors unknowingly accept third (or fourth) place.

52 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

In this day and age, 6 to 7 figures minimum. See recent Sanford gift (https://blogs.und.edu/und-today/2024/04/und-announces-6-5-million-gift-from-sanford-health/).

As we sit at present, UND leaders prefer cost-effective, comfortable football coaching options and a hockey focus over perhaps more risky coaching enhancements, while sentiment-driven football donors unknowingly accept third (or fourth) place.

6 figures doesn’t cut it. It will get you invited to social functions, name in publications and certainly is appreciated. The 3,4, and five figure donations are also recognized, appreciated and added together these donations make a big difference.
For 7 or 8 figures you may be able influence some decisions. (Speed up new business college construction, new softball field, Sports Med contract).  

Your second paragraph is kind of the same sentiment you have expressed many times.  

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

6 figures doesn’t cut it.

Within the grand scheme, if this is the approach, then therein lies the problem with UND athletics. Sitting around and waiting for all those 7-8 figure donations has really been going well, hasn’t it?  These type of financial gaps (https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/college/miller-coaching-exits-not-about-the-financial-gap-and-all-about-the-financial-gap) wouldn’t exist if the “only the big boys and girls get invited to the table” approach was gone 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Your second paragraph is kind of the same sentiment you have expressed many times

That is because it hasn’t been proven wrong yet. The current football coaching situation, despite lacking in high-end skills for recruitment, retention, and coaching strategy for championship success, is favored by the leadership for its cost-effectiveness, compliance, and affable personality.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Within the grand scheme, if this is the approach, then therein lies the problem with UND athletics. 

I was referring to the level of donation where an administrator or coach would spend much time listening to the “demands” of a donor.  

They will take time to interact and listen to fans who don’t necessarily donate more than time and buying tickets. Very few donors approach admin or coaches with demands, and those that do are a pain in the butt for multiple reasons. There is a better approach. It works in trying to overcome almost all challenges and starts with a simple question.  How can I help?

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Within the grand scheme, if this is the approach, then therein lies the problem with UND athletics. Sitting around and waiting for all those 7-8 figure donations has really been going well, hasn’t it?  These type of financial gaps (https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/college/miller-coaching-exits-not-about-the-financial-gap-and-all-about-the-financial-gap) wouldn’t exist if the “only the big boys and girls get invited to the table” approach was gone 

UND has worked very hard for donations at virtually every giving level. I think over time they have recognized gifts of $100 and up. 
What I was discussing was your comment regarding what “influential donors” demand. My reference to the 6 and 7 figure donors pertained to that statement. My opinion is that the best institutions don’t respond to boosters “demands”.  They will listen to 7-8 figure donors and their ideas or opinions as to how best to utilize that donation.
No institution should succumb to demands of a booster based on a monetary donation that would compromise the integrity of the institution. It would be an egregious mistake to set a precedent by allowing boosters to demand specific decisions based solely on a monetary donation. . 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The forum on May 7th is a must-attend for those who can make it.

What kind of questions do you ask? I doubt he'd say that Berry would be in any trouble if Bubba was given an extension.  I am more concerned about the state of the football program. Think about this, our O-Cordinaro, a UND grad left for a conference foe.  We lost his replacement to NDSU. This program is a dumpster fire. We can’t win anywhere but at home. That concerns me more. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Goon said:

What kind of questions do you ask? I doubt he'd say that Berry would be in any trouble if Bubba was given an extension.  I am more concerned about the state of the football program. Think about this, our O-Cordinaro, a UND grad left for a conference foe.  We lost his replacement to NDSU. This program is a dumpster fire. We can’t win anywhere but at home. That concerns me more. 

Jury is out, but I am fine with SU taking Landry, revealed a character flaw we do not need. Offensive was good but did not feel it was progressing. Change us good.

• Upvote 4

48 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

UND has worked very hard for donations at virtually every giving level. I think over time they have recognized gifts of $100 and up. 
What I was discussing was your comment regarding what “influential donors” demand. My reference to the 6 and 7 figure donors pertained to that statement. My opinion is that the best institutions don’t respond to boosters “demands”.  They will listen to 7-8 figure donors and their ideas or opinions as to how best to utilize that donation.
No institution should succumb to demands of a booster based on a monetary donation that would compromise the integrity of the institution. It would be an egregious mistake to set a precedent by allowing boosters to demand specific decisions based solely on a monetary donation. . 

Ironically, the much criticized and publicized UND deal with REA, Inc. suggests that precedent has already been set.

Ultimately, actions always speak louder than words. Been a lot of words lately (as usual). Been a few actions, also. I don’t agree with many of the actions. Time will tell if everything works out, but history suggests it won’t.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Goon said:

I am looking forward to hearing what other people think.

11 hours ago, Goon said:

Yet UND Football still makes the playoffs just to go one and done. That’s all we expect from our top programs………

All the coaching concerns are tied to $$$$$$. Why stay at UND when you can get more money to leave? We should be more worried about the state of the defense. The defensive performance last year was horrendous and I haven’t seen any changes to how they are going to fix that.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, iramurphy said:

This same principle applies to building libraries, community parks, and wellness centers. GOOD fundraising has one of two approaches.

1) City is building a new library. All donations are undesignated and the city makes the decision.

2) This city is building a “community built playground” and various aspects have price tags from $25 to $20,000. You want to donate $100? You can buy a swing ($100) or 4 boards ($25) for the fence with each of your grandchildren’s names.

Any other process does not pass the smell test….larger, much larger, donors do get some options like given two or three color options for all the seats in the arena( all pre-selected to coordinate). 

• Upvote 1

UND leadership's job security isn't tied to football performance but to hockey, a focus set by major donor Ralph Engelstad and his foundation. This priority, and the resultant funding discrepancy, has been noticed by student-athletes and coaches, leading to their departure to better-funded regional rivals. Despite hollow conversations with UND leaders, new football facilities offer some hope for talent improvement, although inadequate coaching decisions will remain a problem.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND leadership's job security isn't tied to football performance but to hockey, a focus set by major donor Ralph Engelstad and his foundation. This priority, and the resultant funding discrepancy, has been noticed by student-athletes and coaches, leading to their departure to better-funded regional rivals. Despite hollow conversations with UND leaders, new football facilities offer some hope for talent improvement, although inadequate coaching decisions will remain a problem.

Can't say I believe this is fully accurate but there are some truths in it.
Ignoring that hockey is the economic engine for UND's athletic department would definitely lead to a quick departure. So yes, it is a priority that would have significant trickle down effects. However, that doesn't mean there aren't fair questions to be asked about incremental funding. It is also a lot more complicated and misunderstood on where some of that funding comes from and how it is applied by those giving direct funds to do certain things.

HPC I and II, the new football facilities, updates to Bronson Field and the new softball field also show that those in charge are far from ignoring other sports.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Can't say I believe this is fully accurate but there are some truths in it.
Ignoring that hockey is the economic engine for UND's athletic department would definitely lead to a quick departure. So yes, it is a priority that would have significant trickle down effects. However, that doesn't mean there aren't fair questions to be asked about incremental funding. It is also a lot more complicated and misunderstood on where some of that funding comes from and how it is applied by those giving direct funds to do certain things.

HPC I and II, the new football facilities, updates to Bronson Field and the new softball field also show that those in charge are far from ignoring other sports.

New facilities are a positive, and will help, but the current coaching will continue to limit the overall success. The ceiling is set.

The current coach's inability to lead UND football to a championship, despite his love and connections, is perpetuated by supporters prioritizing friendship over team success, hindering UND’s performance in big games.

• Like 1