SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

2 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

Not sure what thread this goes on… this morning the Minneapolis Star Tribune had an article in the sports section about NIL for high school athletes. I believe it is the first in a series. A Minnetonka girl’s BB player is the nation’s #6 recruit. She made a deal with New Balance. Her team all wore new New Balance shoes on the way to their state championship. Not sure this is a good direction for high school sports.

More like here:
https://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/39548-a-und-nil-collective/

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Wasn't the spring wrap up on Friday, any revelations or news from that? 

Football Spring Wrap-up
 Saturday, April 6, 2024 8 am to 10 am

I think that is this weekend.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/1/2024 at 7:49 PM, FSSD said:

Football Spring Wrap-up
 Saturday, April 6, 2024 8 am to 10 am

I think that is this weekend.

Thanks, not sure why I thought it was last weekend. 

I was hoping that GFH would have a couple of stories this week about spring practice but I didn't see anything?  Any locals (teeder) going to attend to provide some updates?

3 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I drove up to GF to watch the scrimmage and get a free donut. The QB’s threw the ball well. Feeney got picked once but receiver might have knocked it down. Otherwise he had a good day. Kaminski missed on a slant pattern but through a TD on another. Romfo had more pressure from DLine but also threw the ball well.  They all threw the ball well in drills. Hentges (transfer from Mary) didn’t get through his reads as fast but also threw well. Our receivers looked good but we didn’t really try many deep throws. My biggest disappointment in the passing game was despite a new OC it doesn’t seem we realize the TE is an eligible receiver.  
Zeibart and Seidel were held out. Donovan Hunt is quick and accelerates quickly. We need to hang on to him and get him involved in the offense. 
Oline looks big. Couldn’t tell much cuz it was a scrimmage whistles blown early to protect QB’s. Grant Romfo was the workhouse RB during live running game reps. Most plays were inside runs. 
Defensive line kept running game bottled up for the most part. Secondary looks much better. Receivers weren’t running free. LB’s looked to be reacting quicker. 
FG guys decent distance but must be more consistent. Punting was nothing special. 
I’m sure there were some things I missed. Overall I wouldn’t be pessimistic but we have to get a lot better over the summer. 

Thanks for the summary.

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

I drove up to GF to watch the scrimmage and get a free donut. The QB’s threw the ball well. Feeney got picked once but receiver might have knocked it down. Otherwise he had a good day. Kaminski missed on a slant pattern but through a TD on another. Romfo had more pressure from DLine but also threw the ball well.  They all threw the ball well in drills. Hentges (transfer from Mary) didn’t get through his reads as fast but also threw well. Our receivers looked good but we didn’t really try many deep throws. My biggest disappointment in the passing game was despite a new OC it doesn’t seem we realize the TE is an eligible receiver.  
Zeibart and Seidel were held out. Donovan Hunt is quick and accelerates quickly. We need to hang on to him and get him involved in the offense. 
Oline looks big. Couldn’t tell much cuz it was a scrimmage whistles blown early to protect QB’s. Grant Romfo was the workhouse RB during live running game reps. Most plays were inside runs. 
Defensive line kept running game bottled up for the most part. Secondary looks much better. Receivers weren’t running free. LB’s looked to be reacting quicker. 
FG guys decent distance but must be more consistent. Punting was nothing special. 
I’m sure there were some things I missed. Overall I wouldn’t be pessimistic but we have to get a lot better over the summer. 

I’m a big fan of Hunt.

Hoping he gets more touches.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

the TE is like bigfoot around...rumors but no sightings...

sad

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, AJS said:

Did they release a post Spring ball depth chart?

No, about two weeks prior to the end of spring ball on the spring prospectus - they had a page for the depth chart which was empty and a note saying it will be updated on the week prior to final week of practice.  I looked late last week and apparently the update was to remove the page all together.

2 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Is geaux_sioux ever coming back?  Nothing since January 12?

If UND Football was a movie it would be Ground Hog's Day, some ups and downs and nuances throughout but we are stuck, over and over again we enter another off season with underwhelming talent, development, and coaching.  On top of that when UND does develop a player that is recognized nationally the new normal is another school gives him $150,000 to transfer, edging out his next offer of $50,000 and pick of any truck on the lot.  College football is lawless and declining.  Big name Coaches are leaving.  Soon FCS will be a pure development league for FBS.  I understand the frustration with UND and with college football in general, hanging by a thread myself.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

If UND Football was a movie it would be Ground Hog's Day, some ups and downs and nuances throughout but we are stuck, over and over again we enter another off season with underwhelming talent, development, and coaching.  On top of that when UND does develop a player that is recognized nationally the new normal is another school gives him $150,000 to transfer, edging out his next offer of $50,000 and pick of any truck on the lot.  College football is lawless and declining.  Big name Coaches are leaving.  Soon FCS will be a pure development league for FBS.  I understand the frustration with UND and with college football in general, hanging by a thread myself.

Agree with all of your statements. 

Regarding the portal - the G5 and less successful P5 schools are next in the pecking order and lose players up the chain too.  It will be interesting to see what it looks like in 5-10 years.  It is not sustainable the way things are now.  I read that Calipari from Kentucky has been promised $5M/year in NIL funds at Arkansas. 

An article at the Athletic last week described the drive for the top 70 teams in one class with the next 60 in a lower level with the best of them able to move up like in Euro soccer relegation.

All players would be in a union and get paid. Not sure where all the money comes from but the SEC, Big 10 and other conferences refuse to join the talks. Mainly due to the monstrous TV contracts they have now.

But, all of them seem to recognize they can not keep up the money race and something has to give.