SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

31 minutes ago, AJS said:

At CC Basse was sub .900, this year he was at .911. Count me in on hoping Berry and staff are after Persson. Just seems like he's going to be the guy. 

Yes, at this point you would only be getting a backup from a winning team as they are eliminated anyway, and he appears to be the best bet on all I’ve seen in the portal so far.  Wonder if people have already expressed interest through his advisor. Would probably be a little disappointed if he wasn’t our target, knowing what else is out there to this point.

I’m watching closely to see if 22 goes into the portal. If he does, it is a full indictment of the staff IMO. Kid is probably sick to his stomach in terms of the consequences of either choice. 

The game is changing on Bubs….he’s not out in front of it and needs to adjust now.

4 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I’m watching closely to see if 22 goes into the portal. If he does, it is a full indictment of the staff IMO. Kid is probably sick to his stomach in terms of the consequences of either choice.

The game is changing on Bubs….he’s not out in front of it and needs to adjust now.

What happened with Owen?  I haven't heard or seen anything about him.
That would be a complete shocker if he went to the portal...he played in every game except two and IMO would be poised to be a top 2 center next season.

1 minute ago, brianvf said:

What happened with Owen?  I haven't heard or seen anything about him.
That would be a complete shocker if he went to the portal...he played in every game except two and IMO would be poised to be a top 2 center next season.

He wasn’t healthy scratched once I don’t think. Wasn’t he out sick in those games he missed? I don’t think there’s any chance he goes in the portal. I’m actually not seeing many freshmen go in there. They usually give it until at least end of sophomore year. 

Persson's height, weight: 6-1, 184

Persson's GAA the past three seasons: 2.62, 3.93, 3.67

Persson's SV% the past three seasons: .925, .894, .891

He's not an overly big goaltender, nor do his stats overly impress. What am I not seeing?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

He's not an overly big goaltender, nor do his stats overly impress. What am I not seeing?

Not overly big, but a lot bigger than DeRidder.  See AJS post above concerning Basse and his numbers at CC and now at St. Cloud, and I would argue CC has recently been a little more responsible defensively than Miami has, but you never know how it transitions from no pressure to a ton of pressure.  Of course they could get Ben Kraws from Arizona state with good numbers in his 3 games with Arizona State, but he left Miami because he knew Persson would be getting the playing time, so that says something. 

6 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

Apparently, you aren't seeing how absolutely trash Miami has been defensively :D

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

Not overly big, but a lot bigger than DeRidder.  See AJS post above concerning Basse and his numbers at CC and now at St. Cloud, and I would argue CC has recently been a little more responsible defensively than Miami has, but you never know how it transitions from no pressure to a ton of pressure.  

That's the unknown variable, playing at The Ralph.  Driscoll and Deridder took a while(Deridder even longer) until they looked comfortable at REA.  Deridder looked mighty comfy at the Mooch early in the season but at REA he turned into a sieve. I'd argue it's the toughest place for a goalie to play. Where else are you letting down 12k fans every goal you let in?

Henry Baribeau St. Thomas G Sr 1 0.00 1.000 0
Francis Boisvert St. Lawrence G Sr 1 3.70 .938 0
Ben Kraws Arizona State G Sr 6 2.19 .926 3
Jarrett Fiske AIC G Sr 24 2.38 .923 10
Henry Graham Massachusetts G Jr 8 2.34 .921 1
Luke Pavicich Massachusetts G So 23 2.75 .920 8
Noah West Michigan G Jr 3 2.92 .920 1
Seth Eisele Lake Superior State G Sr 14 2.86 .913 3
Chad Veltri Niagara G Sr 37 2.78 .906 18
Matt Vernon Colorado College G Sr 12 2.57 .905 4
Kolby Matthews RIT G Sr 5 2.82 .904 3
Luke Lush Sacred Heart G Sr 35 2.69 .899 14
Zack Rose Bowling Green G Sr 5 3.44 .891 3
Ludvig Persson Miami G Jr 32 3.67 .891 8
Jakob Hellsten North Dakota G So 13 2.72 .875 5

My comment on 22 is based on what I saw last summer vs what I saw this season.  He was in the wrong role with wrong linemates.  I think he’s vastly more talented than he was able to showcase.  When you’re in that spot you get torn because you don’t want to look like a quitter (especially when you did get ice time) but you also want to ensure you have the ability to develop to your potential and are aligned with the staff.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, yzerman19 said:

My comment on 22 is based on what I saw last summer vs what I saw this season.  He was in the wrong role with wrong linemates.  I think he’s vastly more talented than he was able to showcase.  When you’re in that spot you get torn because you don’t want to look like a quitter (especially when you did get ice time) but you also want to ensure you have the ability to develop to your potential and are aligned with the staff.  

He needs to get stronger/heavier. A light breeze took the puck off his stick. But that is fixable ... paging Mr. Poolman, Mr. Mark Poolman ... 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

He needs to get stronger/heavier. A light breeze took the puck off his stick. But that is fixable ... paging Mr. Poolman, Mr. Mark Poolman ... 

He also needs to shoot the puck a lot more.  He started to do that in the second half, but it would make his playmaking ability that much better.  See Nick Schmaltz's transformation in college and now into the pros -  night and day!

3 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

No disagreement here. I said it many times, last year was a complete disaster on every level. I put the entire mess completely on the Coaching staffs shoulders. Personally, choosing to flush it. I'm also paying extra special attention to this off-season. Talent, Talent, Talent. This could be a very good team next year. Every move that happens this off-season is crucial. 

15 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I think after this summer and he adds some muscle he will have a breakout type season next year.