SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

21 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

My comment on 22 is based on what I saw last summer vs what I saw this season.  He was in the wrong role with wrong linemates.  I think he’s vastly more talented than he was able to showcase.  When you’re in that spot you get torn because you don’t want to look like a quitter (especially when you did get ice time) but you also want to ensure you have the ability to develop to your potential and are aligned with the staff.  

This....

It took watching 22 play for about 15 minutes of ice time early on to see his skill level was completely different than almost everyone on the team. The fact he was a 4th line center late in the season on a team that struggled to score 5x5 is absurd.

36 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

My comment on 22 is based on what I saw last summer vs what I saw this season.  He was in the wrong role with wrong linemates.  I think he’s vastly more talented than he was able to showcase.  When you’re in that spot you get torn because you don’t want to look like a quitter (especially when you did get ice time) but you also want to ensure you have the ability to develop to your potential and are aligned with the staff.  

Who were the right linemates?

14 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

This....

It took watching 22 play for about 15 minutes of ice time early on to see his skill level was completely different than almost everyone on the team. The fact he was a 4th line center late in the season on a team that struggled to score 5x5 is absurd.

The problem I think is that if you have Blake, Gaber, and McLaughlin out together it was fun to watch...when they had the puck, but not so much when they didn't have the puck because they didn't really have the ability(strength) to get it back.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, petey23 said:

The problem I think is that if you have Blake, Gaber, and McLaughlin out together it was fun to watch...when they had the puck, but not so much when they didn't have the puck because they didn't really have the ability(strength) to get it back.

I don't have concern that they can't get it back, but that they'll need to get back into position and avoid a rush if they miss on a pass or lose a puck battle. Gaber and Blake are pretty good at getting back into a play when they need to and can dig out a puck from the corner just fine, but those three tend to shade to their offense end, for sure. 

19 minutes ago, tnt said:

Who were the right linemates?

I feel 10 was somewhat limited in his potential production this season although you knew his ceiling. 

It was pretty clear early on the top 6 "skill" guys were 8 9 10 17 22 26.

9 8 26

10 22 17

Take some lumps early. Let them build chemistry. Would have been much better off with this from day 1 than throwing golf balls at center ice and grouping lines that way all season.

6 minutes ago, AJS said:

Haider - G - Clarkson to the portal. 6'3", NSH Pick, Solid numbers. Originally from MN. Is this the new #1 Goalie target? 1A 1B with Persson? @stoneySIOUX what do we think? Excited about this one. 

I remember hearing about him a couple years ago when Clarkson was a decent team. Numbers look good to me. Love the size. I think I'd give a slight edge to Persson simply because he's familiar with the NCHC, but Haider wouldn't suck 

22 needs to be creating.  I like him with Gaber more than I like Blake with Gaber. Gaber is an elite finisher.  22 is an elite playmaker. Blake can do both, but he strikes me as a difficult player to play with in terms of how he reads the ice and attacks.  It’s kinda unconventional and the result of his individual gifts.  That is likely part of what makes him special in that he’s hard to manage defensively because of it, but that also makes him hard to play with as a line mate.  Kid is rookie of the year, I’m not knocking him at all, and I could be wrong, but anyway, back to the portal.  

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, AJS said:

Haider - G - Clarkson to the portal. 6'3", NSH Pick, Solid numbers. Originally from MN. Is this the new #1 Goalie target? 1A 1B with Persson? @stoneySIOUX what do we think? Excited about this one. 

Clarkson Entrepreneurship major ... we've got that ... ;) 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I remember hearing about him a couple years ago when Clarkson was a decent team. Numbers look good to me. Love the size. I think I'd give a slight edge to Persson simply because he's familiar with the NCHC, but Haider wouldn't suck 

Playing goalie at the X in the Minnesota State Tournament as an 8th grader is something most of us couldn't have pulled off...

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, crb1 said:

Gaber coming back for his senior year. 

11 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

How is the news being received on the infamous Facebook group?

While I'm happy about this news, let's just say the ring-kissing over there has reached epic proportions in the last 24 hours.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I don't have concern that they can't get it back, but that they'll need to get back into position and avoid a rush if they miss on a pass or lose a puck battle. Gaber and Blake are pretty good at getting back into a play when they need to and can dig out a puck from the corner just fine, but those three tend to shade to their offense end, for sure. 

Heard an NHL guy yesterday say how hard it is to get young guys to realize that they won't be sacrificing putting up numbers by coming back hard and covering in the defensive end.  He said once they do realize that they can transition from that and it won't hurt their numbers they start to fall in line.  Of course it would be nice to have guys that aren't worried as much about numbers as they are about doing what's necessary to win, but especially at the NHL level, guys are playing to impress and get that next big contract.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

Heard an NHL guy yesterday say how hard it is to get young guys to realize that they won't be sacrificing putting up numbers by coming back hard and covering in the defensive end.  He said once they do realize that they can transition from that and it won't hurt their numbers they start to fall in line.  Of course it would be nice to have guys that aren't worried as much about numbers as they are about doing what's necessary to win, but especially at the NHL level, guys are playing to impress and get that next big contract.  

Yep.....lots of offense can be created from defense. (9-8-16)

12 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Playing goalie at the X in the Minnesota State Tournament as an 8th grader is something most of us couldn't have pulled off...

:blink:

That's a trick. 

Hey, read his Clarkson page (I linked it) and see who recruited him.
Which of those needs a two-year goalie solution right now? 

9 minutes ago, tnt said:

Yep.....lots of offense can be created from defense. (9-8-16)