SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

1 minute ago, sparky8701 said:

A year of pain to get the recruit pipeline righted and set us up for years to come I'd say is worth it. 

And if we get Frisch back and two or three of these four pop, we could have a fun season in front of us. We'll see.

1 minute ago, sparky8701 said:

A year of pain to get the recruit pipeline righted and set us up for years to come I'd say is worth it. 

So you're not counting this past season? 

• Upvote 3

What is causing early departures to the portal?  Constantini and Johnson are drafted players and are going elsewhere?  I know that being drafted doesn't guarantee that the player is a superstar but I felt that those two guys had potential to do well here.  Is it playing time?  Off ice/locker room issues? Attitude?  I just don't understand.   

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

And if we get Frisch back and two or three of these four pop, we could have a fun season in front of us. We'll see.

Agreed. We need Gaber and Frisch back. We need caufield to come back and play a depth role (maybe it clicks for him next season who knows). Could really use Kleven back. I know it isn’t happening but it would be huge.

Just now, Mhockey said:

What is causing early departures to the portal?  Constantini and Johnson are drafted players and are going elsewhere?  I know that being drafted doesn't guarantee that the player is a superstar but I felt that those two guys had potential to do well here.  Is it playing time?  Off ice/locker room issues? Attitude?  I just don't understand.   

You could literally ask this question for any program.
Geez, Northeastern already has 8 players that have entered the portal.

For whatever reason, Costantini and Johnson couldn't crack the lineup so they're looking elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, Mhockey said:

We'll never know the overall story, but I've not once heard anything about either of those two regarding their locker room attitude/presence nor any off-ice issues. Basically, it's two running narratives: 1) The staff didn't do enough to develop them/put them in the right spots. The two felt they'd develop better elsewhere. 2) The players didn't develop the way the needed to, so the team dropped them from their spots and both feel they have better opportunities elsewhere.

My guess leans towards No. 2, but could the coaching staff have done more? I don't think that would be unfair to say, but the team is 25 some odd guys that all need focus throughout the season. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, scpa0305 said:

Agreed. We need Gaber and Frisch back. We need caufield to come back and play a depth role (maybe it clicks for him next season who knows). Could really use Kleven back. I know it isn’t happening but it would be huge.

I'll take Caufield back for another 10 goals, PK time and defensively responsible in our end.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Who ripped Bast and Constantini? Didn’t see much of that. 

Bast got plenty of run around here. Fair on Costantini, but again, we're talking about guys who weren't expected to be big time players around here. The rest of their careers will tell the story if their talent was at the ceiling or if the staff didn't do enough. Johnson is my biggest question mark as my eyes told me he's talented, but man, he was bad this year defensively.

4 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

I'll take Caufield back for another 10 goals, PK time and defensively responsible in our end.

Ditto! I thought he was a man down the stretch. He's never been the goal scorer I thought he would, but 10 goals is pretty dang good coupled with how solid he is defensively and on the PK. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Bast got plenty of run around here. Fair on Costantini, but again, we're talking about guys who weren't expected to be big time players around here. The rest of their careers will tell the story if their talent was at the ceiling or if the staff didn't do enough. Johnson is my biggest question mark as my eyes told me he's talented, but man, he was bad this year defensively.

I actually had high hopes with constantini. Was noted as a draft sleeper prior to getting drafted. I thought he was going to put up bigger ushl numbers but after his frosh season basically forgot about that. Really confused what happened there.

Johnson made some bonehead plays too but Moore, farmer, Frisch, etc also made some bonehead plays. Anyone remember 15 and 25 the first couple months of the season? They were on the ice for almost every goal there for a while. Moore’s no looker to the front of the net during the DU game? 6 pts in 13 games…+3 and a 3rd rounder? That deserves some leash unless there’s something else going on. I know nothing about the kids character…just have to trust the staff.

3 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I actually had high hopes with constantini. Was noted as a draft sleeper prior to getting drafted. I thought he was going to put up bigger ushl numbers but after his frosh season basically forgot about that. Really confused what happened there.

Johnson made some bonehead plays too but Moore, farmer, Frisch, etc also made some bonehead plays. Anyone remember 15 and 25 the first couple months of the season? They were on the ice for almost every goal there for a while. Moore’s no looker to the front of the net during the DU game? 6 pts in 13 games…+3 and a 3rd rounder? That deserves some leash unless there’s something else going on. I know nothing about the kids character…just have to trust the staff.

That’s what’s nice about the portal. He can go somewhere else reset and hopefully have a great 2 yrs. Let’s just hope its not at another NCHC school and against us. 

7 minutes ago, Siouxfancrazy92 said:

That’s what’s nice about the portal. He can go somewhere else reset and hopefully have a great 2 yrs. Let’s just hope its not at another NCHC school and against us. 

Agreed. However he’d be a decent fit with Denver.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

So you're not counting this past season? 

Good point. 

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

You must have missed the poster yesterday that said Bast was the 5th best dman on his AJHL team.  ;) 

I will amend the comment, and admit hyperbole was used. 

4th* best defenseman. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

21 points to 3 is hardly something you can solely blame on the player. BB needs to own some of the 18 situation. 

Matteo had his chances in the lineup, especially to start the season.  For more than a few games he was top 6 in the lineup.
Eventually when he wasn't producing he was moved down and eventually out of the lineup.
From what I saw, he was given chances to produce, but for whatever reason, didn't like his freshman year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Could be 7 new d men and two new goalies before the dust settles.

Young group next year. 

No matter what transfers we get in and what freshmen arrive, gotta think expectations at best are a winning record next season (shoot for  22 straight, NCAA tourney be damned!) and a top 4 NCHC finish (4th at best is my guess) for 1st round home ice in conf tourney!  Yoy.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Matteo had his chances in the lineup, especially to start the season.  For more than a few games he was top 6 in the lineup.
Eventually when he wasn't producing he was moved down and eventually out of the lineup.
From what I saw, he was given chances to produce, but for whatever reason, didn't like his freshman year.

He really didn't. We will agree to disagree.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

He really didn't. We will agree to disagree.

So then Albrecht, who has seen far less time but produced more than Costantini should complain because he hasn't had a chance to prove himself? 

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

So then Albrecht, who has seen far less time but produced more than Costantini should complain because he hasn't had a chance to prove himself? 

Will 13 get to 21 points for his career?  Apples to oranges