SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

7 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

He was an unexpected surprise after his freshman year, so maybe he just peaked? Got plenty of early opportunities, but lost those down the stretch. Frustrating, but it is what it is. Losing both of these two isn't a good thing, but it does not mean we cannot have a much better season next year. Opens the door for a guy like Emerson to be an early cog in the lineup. Strinden, too.

yeah, he did get a few looks early on. Unless they are high end, underclassmen can be hit or miss at times. Curious how constantini will do moving forward. I really dislike the portal. Oh well.

Emerson should be close to a top 6 lock. He’s really good.

1 minute ago, ChadR said:

Wonder if this means 15 is back. 

24 departing. 

Keeping 15 in the fold just went from vitally important to critical ... unless 25 surprises us all and stays through four seasons and becomes an NHL FA. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

He was an unexpected surprise after his freshman year, so maybe he just peaked? Got plenty of early opportunities, but lost those down the stretch. Frustrating, but it is what it is. Losing both of these two isn't a good thing, but it does not mean we cannot have a much better season next year. Opens the door for a guy like Emerson to be an early cog in the lineup. Strinden, too.

I completely agree with this. Here's my "fear". Berry coached scared. He picked safe over development. Down the stretch his goal was to win games 2-1. I don't think anyone is going to argue that style of play, having offensive black holes on each lines is a winning formula when recruiting high end players. Losing talent this way is different than what Minnesota went through last year. 

To go back. I also believe this team can be better next year. A lot starts with the Coaches. I posted this in the other thread. There's definitely a way where this off-season comes off a big success. It could go sideways as well.

3 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

yeah, he did get a few looks early on. Unless they are high end, underclassmen can be hit or miss at times. Curious how constantini will do moving forward. I really dislike the portal. Oh well.

Emerson should be close to a top 6 lock. He’s really good.

Obviously we'll never know, but will his decision to leave a program that knew about him, was invested in him (in general), knew his strengths and weaknesses well, and knew what he needed to develop hamper him in his remaining two years? He's starting from scratch with a new program. Or, he could blossom in his two (or three) remaining years. We'll see.

Schlossman's story on the portal says the D next year will be Moore plus 5 freshmen plus Portal plus Frisch/Portal (twin of the other Portal).  I suppose on the slight chance Kleven returned he would take a portal slot.

3 minutes ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

Going to be alot of new faces on defense next year.  Could be a good thing though.  

Needs to be seen as an opportunity. Komzak, Wiebe, Livanavage, Strathmann, all have solid pieces to bring to the team. Could be the refresher a lot around here wanted

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

Going to be alot of new faces on defense next year.  Could be a good thing though.  

For the incoming freshman absolutely. Think about the leash they’ll have. It benefits Strathmann the most as he plays wagon wheel hockey. Kid like that comes in any earlier and he’d get “Johnson treatment”

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

For the incoming freshman absolutely. Think about the leash they’ll have. It benefits Strathmann the most as he plays wagon wheel hockey. Kid like that comes in any earlier and he’d get “Johnson treatment”

Schlossman has already said that the kids going to struggle to play defense. 

Just now, brianvf said:

He's mentioned it in multiple articles too.  Said he has high-end offensive skill but still needs to work on his defensive coverage.

He didn’t say he would necessarily without a doubt struggle. Or at least that’s my interpretation. Just that his defensive game is a work in progress. Which is kind of what I expect with a lot of freshmen. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Siouxfancrazy92 said:

you give up on Johnson who you’ve had for two years only to bring in a freshman who is basically the same player. 

Who gave up on him? He wasn't sitting on the bench in practice. He knew what he needed to do better and apparently he hadn't done it. Comparing players is fine, but then it's up to the player to make the stride from what he's getting for feedback in practice.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Needs to be seen as an opportunity. Komzak, Wiebe, Livanavage, Strathmann, all have solid pieces to bring to the team. Could be the refresher a lot around here wanted

A year of pain to get the recruit pipeline righted and set us up for years to come I'd say is worth it.