SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

A new rule implemented last September created a 60-day window for transfer activity to take place without penalty. The 60-day time frame begins the day after NCAA Tournament selections are announced, thus today, and will end May 18.

Nearly 200 players transferred teams last year. That number was boosted by the NCAA still allowing fifth-year eligibility due to the 2020-21 COVID year. Once that goes away, the number of transfers is expected to subside, though will continue to be much greater than it ever was before.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/the-daily-skate-more-than-50-players-enter-the-transfer-portal-in-a-day

In all, 52 Division-I men's players entered the transfer portal Monday alone.

There are now more than 100 players in the portal. More are expected throughout the week.

Forward Noah Prokop, who played two seasons at Omaha and two at Colorado College, will transfer to St. Thomas.

10 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

Dare I say Brent Johnson put up decent offensive numbers (1-5–6) in only 13 games and had the third highest +\- of any defenseman this year for UND. 

Kid has been a defensive liability since he arrived on campus. As I have stated before, until he got things figured out between his ears, he was going to struggle. Best for both parties that he moves on. Also, he came in a year too early, no where near ready physically or emotionally for college hockey. So, this is on the coaching staff just a bit as well.

8 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Alex cambell entered the portal…I believe he’d be a good fit to our team. Skilled forward.

I remember him from the BC league. He was a big scorer in the league. Seemed to be productive wherever he played after leaving BCHL. Good player. 

8 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

Two years of eligibility left also.

Isn’t it 1? He never played college puck that first year of the pandemic (19-20) he was playing a full year in the USHL. I guess I don’t fully understand the Covid year rules.

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

Isn’t it 1? He never played college puck that first year of the pandemic (19-20) he was playing a full year in the USHL. I guess I don’t fully understand the Covid year rules.

I believe the 20-21 year is the "Covid year".

1 minute ago, 90siouxfan said:

Is the portal just a tmp thing due to covid?  Will it revert back to sit a year transfer system?  Pandoras box?

Nope, transfer portal is here to stay. Covid was just a “gas on the fire” type activity to the portal as certain players have that one extra year to play with.

9 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Is the portal just a tmp thing due to covid?  Will it revert back to sit a year transfer system?  Pandoras box?

6 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Nope, transfer portal is here to stay. Covid was just a “gas on the fire” type activity to the portal as certain players have that one extra year to play with.

The automatic 5th year will be gone soon, so you'll see less older players jump, IMO. 

19 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Yes. 19-20 the season was halted early due to Covid.  20-21 was the pod season with limited attendance at games and anyone who played that season gets an extra year. 

But if your school didn't play that season and you didn't transfer you are sh!t out of luck...or eligibiility.

50 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

We can speculate all we want but we don’t now what the coaching staff is thinking. I wonder who is going to be the fourth coach. 

49 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Hopefully a good recruiter that is a bit younger. 

How about Jake Brandt? Fairly young, infectious enthusiasm, easily likable, loves UND hockey, KNOWS EVERYONE involved in upper Midwest hockey. 

5 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

How about Jake Brandt? Fairly young, infectious enthusiasm, easily likable, loves UND hockey, KNOWS EVERYONE involved in upper Midwest hockey. 

Maybe Jake could help us with our recruiting of Northern Minnesota. 

17 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I would say we don't have a problem recruiting Northern Minnesota, we just choose not to offer before there is some junior experience to draw on.  Many times the players jump on an offer before that. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, petey23 said:

But if your school didn't play that season and you didn't transfer you are sh!t out of luck...or eligibiility.

Why? 

The 2020-21 season did not count for anyone.
It does not count against anyone's "five academic years to complete four seasons of play". 

No one was given an "extra" year.
2020-21 just didn't count against anyone. 

UAF didn't play in 2020-21. Jandric played two competitive seasons before at UAF and two after (at UND). 

52 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

The automatic 5th year will be gone soon, so you'll see less older players jump, IMO. 

This. 
There's a flood on the market with guys looking to use a final year of eligibility based on 2020-21 not counting against them.

This is especially true of Ivy players because Ivy rules only give you four academic years on their campuses. 

28 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Sounds like an awesome recruiting violation. 

Last time I looked Jake could point a kid out to staff but not approach. Same goes for you and me. The only way someone like Jake can talk to a potential recruit is if he had a pre-existing relationship with the recruit or their family. (I knew the Frisch family before Ethan was a recruit.) 

Bottom liine: See a special player? Tell Bubs or someone in UND Athletics. 

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Sounds like an awesome recruiting violation. 

Last time I looked Jake could point a kid out to staff but not approach. Same goes for you and me. The only way someone like Jake can talk to a potential recruit is if he had a pre-existing relationship with the recruit or their family. (I knew the Frisch family before Ethan was a recruit.) 

Bottom liine: See a special player? Tell Bubs or someone in UND Athletics. 

The post was about Jake being the 4th coach so it would be a non-violation?