SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

This....

It took watching 22 play for about 15 minutes of ice time early on to see his skill level was completely different than almost everyone on the team. The fact he was a 4th line center late in the season on a team that struggled to score 5x5 is absurd.

D was iffy early on but ya…clearly one of the more skilled guys on the team. Probably  should have had a spot locked on the top PP.

Line someone else noted, I would have liked him with either Blake or Gaber. I actually didn’t like Blake and gaber together even strength because they never passed. Both held onto the puck way too long. And Blake came in as a playmaker 

• Upvote 1

If you watch the Steel highlights, a huge chunk of the Celebrini from Perron goals are Celebrini using his speed to get open and Perron finding him in space. To me, James looks like the most natural fit with him because he's the closest to that speed. Knowing James and O-Mac had a connection in juniors, I would love to see a James - OMac - Perron line. Then Blake - Schmalts - Gaber. That would be a pretty tough 1-2 punch.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

D was iffy early on but ya…clearly one of the more skilled guys on the team. Probably  should have had a spot locked on the top PP.

Line someone else noted, I would have liked him with either Blake or Gaber. I actually didn’t like Blake and gaber together even strength because they never passed. Both held onto the puck way too long. And Blake came in as a playmaker 

I also do not like Blake and Gaber together on a line for the exact reason you said. 

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

The problem I think is that if you have Blake, Gaber, and McLaughlin out together it was fun to watch...when they had the puck, but not so much when they didn't have the puck because they didn't really have the ability(strength) to get it back.

Nick Schmaltz on line 2 for you

Schmaltz has a little "Caulfield-Kunz syndrome": He's too nice.

He's 6'2" and about 190. He's more "Jordan" than "Nick" sized. He needs to shove people around. I saw flashes late in the year when he put a guy on his back. I need more of that "edge" from him. 

• Upvote 2

Based on name-dropping by Schloss, I'm willing to bet UND's next goalie (maybe next two?) is in this list:

Persson, a 6-foot-1 Swede, has played behind a porous Miami defense the last three years. He posted save percentages of .925, .894 and .891. At times, he showed the ability to steal games.

Haider, a 6-foot-3 Twin Cities native, is a fifth-round pick of the Nashville Predators. He's played in 80 games across three seasons, posting save percentages of .921, .908 and .906.

Moe, a 6-foot-4 Winnipeg Jets draft pick, posted a .917 as a junior at Wisconsin and a .898 as a senior. Moe is a right-handed catching goalie.

Other primary starters in the portal are UMass's Luke Pavicich (.920), American International's Jarrett Fiske (.923), Niagara's Chad Veltri (.906) and Sacred Heart's Luke Lush (.899).

Moe is not a name I expected. 
I wouldn't expect Fiske, Veltri, or Lush unless UND takes in two portals. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Schmaltz has a little "Caulfield-Kunz syndrome": He's too nice.

He's 6'2" and about 190. He's more "Jordan" than "Nick" sized. He needs to shove people around. I saw flashes late in the year when he put a guy on his back. I need more of that "edge" from him. 

One of the biggest disappointments of the season was not seeing Caulfield or Kunz develop more assertiveness. (Although Caulfield did seem to find another gear late in the season.) 

1 minute ago, Kevin G said:

One of the biggest disappointments of the season was not seeing Caulfield or Kunz develop more assertiveness. (Although Caulfield did seem to find another gear late in the season.) 

Again Kunz's role was limited and he had a short leash. Tough to establish yourself from a physical standpoint when you know a mistake or penalty here or there and you're in a suit. Judd has had ample opportunities and to your point was better as the season moved along.

52 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Based on name-dropping by Schloss, I'm willing to bet UND's next goalie (maybe next two?) is in this list:

Moe is not a name I expected. 
I wouldn't expect Fiske, Veltri, or Lush unless UND takes in two portals. 

Of those three that list, all have 2 years of eligibility yes? I don't prefer the Driscoll/DeRidder situation of come in for a season and leave. I like the stability of a trusted multi year guy, but that's just me. If they're a one year guy and are a stud, i'll take it, of course, but thoroughly enjoyed, we'll stay recent, having Scheel for 2+ seasons.

Just now, Langster019 said:

Of those three that list, all have 2 years of eligibility yes? I don't prefer the Driscoll/DeRidder situation of come in for a season and leave. I like the stability of a trusted multi year guy, but that's just me. If they're a one year guy and are a stud, i'll take it, of course, but thoroughly enjoyed, we'll stay recent, having Scheel for 2+ seasons.

Moe only has one. Persson and Haider have 2. 

1 minute ago, iluvdebbies said:

Agree....think 21 will be center.

With where we stand right now I'd like to see Strinden centering Judd and Perron.

I think we'd need someone who could pot in that spot. Perron (setter), Strinden (getter), James/Blake/Gaber? (netter)

8 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

17-22-Emerson

26-8-9

28-21-Perron

11-27-13

All in with is except the 4th line......29 27 20

Portz was really really good in stretches and Kunz needs to play.

• Upvote 1