SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

Nine lowest scorers on the team last year: 

- four now in the portal (G, D, D, F)
- one is out of eligibility (G)
- another is a G (say Cheese)
- remaining three are F with five or six* points (Kunz, Ness, Albrecht)

It's not like we lost production.

*six points is max of this group of nine

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

we are screwed.

Disagree.  I'm pretty excited for next year.  Some excellent talent coming in and four sophomore-to-be forwards who could take steps and be the heart of this team for the next few years.

While DeRidder was not the whole problem and was strong down the stretch, it'll be hard for goaltending overall to be much worse than this year.  

On D some of the new guys are young and higher end, and some have paid their dues.  A nice mix.  Again, it may not be pretty, but they can't give the puck away too much more than last year's group did.

I am truly anticipating a fun bounceback year.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, jk said:

Disagree.  I'm pretty excited for next year.  Some excellent talent coming in and four sophomore-to-be forwards who could take steps and be the heart of this team for the next few years.

While DeRidder was not the whole problem and was strong down the stretch, it'll be hard for goaltending overall to be much worse than this year.  

On D some of the new guys are young and higher end, and some have paid their dues.  A nice mix.  Again, it may not be pretty, but they can't give the puck away too much more than last year's group did.

I am truly anticipating a fun bounceback year.

I think next year’s team, while young/new, will benefit from lower expectations.  Depends on 25 and 15, of course, and a few sophs will have high expectation for themselves, but the team will feel like it’s starting new.

or maybe not.:bigsmile:

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Gleason (F, CC) in the portal surprises me. He has two left. 

I saw that too.  He's similar to Costantini in that he had a freshman year that showed a lot of promise and then he tailed off last year.
I remember him being quite fast though.  If we're looking to add speed, he's one to consider.

23 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I saw that too.  He's similar to Costantini in that he had a freshman year that showed a lot of promise and then he tailed off last year.
I remember him being quite fast though.  If we're looking to add speed, he's one to consider.

He scored the OT winner to send CC to the frozen Faceoff. One goal does not a player make, I get that. Just mentioning a point of interest and I find it curious why he entered the portal. He played in 34 games and like others have said, he’s a speedy little forward. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I said this in the other thread, but he's my No. 1 portal pick regardless of position, and it's not close. Would be very big.

I guess it’s basically a sure thing. Why ado you say that? I track players fairly closely, but admittedly, I don’t focus much on goalies unless they’re high high end. 

7 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I guess it’s basically a sure thing. Why ado you say that? I track players fairly closely, but admittedly, I don’t focus much on goalies unless they’re high high end. 

Pretty much any game they've won in conference over the past few years he's stolen. Their D is consistently porous at best.

Supposedly DeRidder had an adjustment period at the Ralph. Bringing someone in who is familiar may be a factor too.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

You don't think Perrson that good?

Haha. no, I’m saying I really have no idea who he is out side of the fact he’s played well against us before a couple times. I don’t ever hear anything about him. 

48 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Haha. no, I’m saying I really have no idea who he is out side of the fact he’s played well against us before a couple times. I don’t ever hear anything about him. 

We did rip him the last game though.  Like I said before, sometimes there is no pressure when you are playing for Miami, just like DeRidder with Michigan State, so it ramps up significantly here.  I know he can only stop the puck, but I remember David Carle saying Denver’s philosophy is to recruit winners.  That said, he isn’t a small goalie and looks the part, even if his save percentage is a shade under .900.

Just now, Godsmack said:

Is it conceivable we will need to go get two goalies from the portal? 

Conceivable, yes, but I doubt it. Hedquist has proven enough where he should be here next year. Hope he is as well. 

• Upvote 1