SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ UMN - Sat Night Redemption (hopefully)

brianvf

16 hours ago, 06 Sioux said:

How does Kleven get a major and Thomas gets a 2 min for boarding

I was at the game and thought the Thomas hit looked bad and worthy of review. I have (gopher fan) buddy who saw live from a different angle that thought the call was weak. Methinks I’m right but wondering if anyone has a replay so I have video evidence to plead my case. 

2 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Gofer scores and throws stick into crowd for his “look at me” moment.  Ensuing penalty kickstarts four goal rally by opponent.  Now that’s Gofer hockey!

So true.  What a way to save a weekend of UND sports with the bad ending to friday's game and UND football 2nd half vs the Wabbits!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

Does anyone have a video of this. I was at the game and thought it looked bad live. But I have (gopher fan) buddy closer to the hit who thought it wasn’t even a penalty. Methinks I’m right but I want video evidence if anyone has it 

Here it is. He gets two good shots in on Senden after the goal. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Did you seriously create a login today to go thru this tired argument?

MN hasn’t really had the best of luck lately with recruiting their young local talent, perhaps they need a few older Canadiens to get over that hump? ;)

Minnesota’s goalie Justen Close is 24 years old. From Saskatchewan. So looks like UND is not the only ones with the older Canadians. They seem to forget about this. 

Clearly they have decided UND is right and they need to follow our lead. :whistling:

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Realityguy said:

While that take is a bit overdone by Gopher fans the perception is understandable.    The average college senior is 21.5 or so.    ND has 15 on the roster over the age of 22.   Of the 7 Canadiens on the roster the average age is 22 with two of them being 24.      The average age of the top 5 scorers for ND is 22.5 wiht 2 of them from Canada that are 23 and 24 years old.   The average age of UMTC's top 5 scorers is 20 with two of them being 18 which is a age ND does not even have on its roster nor is there a skater on the UM roster that is from Canada.    Does ND have a roster loaded with 24 year old Canadiens?   No.   Does ND have the success it has had over the years without overaged players coming from various places including Canada?    Also no.   

Everyone of ND's players is legal, within the rules and 100% a valid player but let's not pretend there isn't a basis for the perception.    

Until the 5th year of eligibility cycles out, average age is skewed. And if you're a top program not picking up hired guns out of the portal with the 5th year, your loss.

UND is all overage Canadians, and MN is all divas from Edina. Neither is true but both have an undeniable presence in the lineups.

• Upvote 3

You knew two months ago this was MN's year.  Undeniable star power up front, but what really did it was inexplicably returning three veteran high-end defensemen.  That was a shocker, and made them big favorites this year.  Motzko can coach, we've seen that over the years.  Maybe goaltending will be a weakness, but average goaltending can be enough sometimes. 

The Big Ten's weakness has failed to properly prepare teams for the postseason in the past, but that may be ending as the league improves.  It'll just come down to whether they can win four games of playoff hockey, when checking gets tighter, the rink is smaller, and sometimes the bounces go the other way (like last night).  Teams most likely to spoil it: UND, Denver, Mankato, Q.  Maybe SCSU or Duluth, but I haven't seen them.

3 hours ago, brianvf said:

Did you seriously create a login today to go thru this tired argument?

MN hasn’t really had the best of luck lately with recruiting their young local talent, perhaps they need a few older Canadiens to get over that hump? ;)

Did you watch the games this weekend?  It was a split and congrats to ND for earning the split on the road but I am guessing recruiting has been going just fine for the Gophers as the discrepancy of talent was quite clear.    UND knew how they had to play and they executed it well but if it wasn't for the transfer goalie I am guessing you are looking at two losses where the Gophers score about 8 in each game.   I created the login because there appeared to be some knowledgeable and passionate hockey fans here.   This "tired argument" is just the point I decided to discuss today.   I did it without insults, rhetoric or childish retorts.     Why so defensive and sensitive?

AS stated a couple of times.    I don't have a issue with older Canadiens but if someone is going to go after the Gopher fans insinuating they are making something up that is actually pretty close to fact, why shouldn't I point out the inaccuracy of the original post.   Your first reply would seem to indicate that not only is it true, it is common across the more successful programs, which I also agreed, then the best you can do is to come at me with a criticism for creating a login to discuss it along with throwing out a lame attempt to take a shot at the recruiting success of the team that just dominated play against your team for the majority of the weekend.    I am not here to argue lame rhetoric and insults.    Got any points to actually discuss?   

2 minutes ago, Realityguy said:

Did you watch the games this weekend?  It was a split and congrats to ND for earning the split on the road but I am guessing recruiting has been going just fine for the Gophers as the discrepancy of talent was quite clear.    UND knew how they had to play and they executed it well but if it wasn't for the transfer goalie I am guessing you are looking at two losses where the Gophers score about 8 in each game.   I created the login because there appeared to be some knowledgeable and passionate hockey fans here.   This "tired argument" is just the point I decided to discuss today.   I did it without insults, rhetoric or childish retorts.     Why so defensive and sensitive?

AS stated a couple of times.    I don't have a issue with older Canadiens but if someone is going to go after the Gopher fans insinuating they are making something up that is actually pretty close to fact, why shouldn't I point out the inaccuracy of the original post.   Your first reply would seem to indicate that not only is it true, it is common across the more successful programs, which I also agreed, then the best you can do is to come at me with a criticism for creating a login to discuss it along with throwing out a lame attempt to take a shot at the recruiting success of the team that just dominated play against your team for the majority of the weekend.    I am not here to argue lame rhetoric and insults.    Got any points to actually discuss?   

“UND hockey, beating more talented teams since 1948”!  There is a reason that Minnesota is the home of perpetual losers, they don’t realize that a little heart and grit goes a long way.  

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Realityguy said:

So you have to go back 17 years to find a single player that goes against the age thing.   Not sure you really you disqualified the perception.  The last national championship for ND had 8 Canadiens with 2 of the top 5 and 4 of the top 10 scorers from north of the border.   

The last gopher championship had 3 North Dakota players on it!   If Minnesota can't recruit players to win now, that's their own fault.  Get over it.  It was a great series and will be really something if they both play each other in the playoffs.

And by the way, SKILL doesn't always win just alone.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Old Barn Guy at Home said:

The last gopher championship had 3 North Dakota players on it!   If Minnesota can't recruit players to win now, that's their own fault.  Get over it.  It was a great series and will be really something if they both play each other in the playoffs.

Just ask Michigan.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Until the 5th year of eligibility cycles out, average age is skewed. And if you're a top program not picking up hired guns out of the portal with the 5th year, your loss.

UND is all overage Canadians, and MN is all divas from Edina. Neither is true but both have an undeniable presence in the lineups.

Absolutely true that the extra year and transfer portal has provided opportunities for players and programs alike but I am not sure it has anything to do with the point at hand.     The 2015-16 National Championship team from UND had about 8 Canadians with 3 of them 23-24 years old.   Transfer portal and extra year came after that years after that.     UND has a formula that is within the rules and has provided great success but it is not new or a result of those things mentioned.   I am not sure why everyone is so defensive.   I only pointed out the reality that the perception of Gopher fans is based in fact while the Gophers have ONE Edina kid but acknowledge Eden Prairie and Wayzata are also represented which isn't really any different that Edina.   

13 minutes ago, tnt said:

“UND hockey, beating more talented teams since 1948”!  There is a reason that Minnesota is the home of perpetual losers, they don’t realize that a little heart and grit goes a long way.  

I 100% agree.    The Gophers recruit a entire roster top six forwards and then wonder why they always get knocked out by a team with less skill and talent.    A bit of grit and sandpaper would go a long way to improving the Gophers chances.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Old Barn Guy at Home said:

Yep, and the last ND championship had 8 Minnesota players and 8 Canadians.   What is your point?     It was a great series and I have not disparaged ND in any way.    I only pointed out that the perception the Gopher fans have about the roster is actually reality.    It seems like the ND fans are a bit sensitive about it.     Everyone spent about 5 pages worth of comments here picking on and making fun of Gopher fans while acting the exact same overly sensitive and arrogant way.    

18 minutes ago, Realityguy said:

Yep, and the last ND championship had 8 Minnesota players and 8 Canadians.   What is your point?     It was a great series and I have not disparaged ND in any way.    I only pointed out that the perception the Gopher fans have about the roster is actually reality.    It seems like the ND fans are a bit sensitive about it.     

You’re missing the point. You come onto a UND message board and immediately start posting about nothing but the “overage Canadians” argument that Gopher fans have been blasting UND about for years. There were many posts on earlier in this thread talking about how much better UMN was playing and the skill difference at this point in the season, by many UND fans, myself included. But you ignored those and only replied to a sarcastic post about the old Canadians. That’s not coming on here to discuss hockey, that’s coming on here to troll. 

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Realityguy said:

Absolutely true that the extra year and transfer portal has provided opportunities for players and programs alike but I am not sure it has anything to do with the point at hand.     The 2015-16 National Championship team from UND had about 8 Canadians with 3 of them 23-24 years old.   Transfer portal and extra year came after that years after that.     UND has a formula that is within the rules and has provided great success but it is not new or a result of those things mentioned.   I am not sure why everyone is so defensive.   I only pointed out the reality that the perception of Gopher fans is based in fact while the Gophers have ONE Edina kid but acknowledge Eden Prairie and Wayzata are also represented which isn't really any different that Edina.   

Edina...cannot...even...find the words...just so...shocked and offended.

1 hour ago, Realityguy said:

Please don’t lump Eden Prairie in with those cake eaters from Edina.;)

2 hours ago, Realityguy said:

I'm not defensive, just showing the other side of the coin. Southwest metro was probably a better term, but you understood my point.

Incidentally, two of the best Canadian overagers in NCAA right now are former recruits who switched after we pushed back their arrival. Rizzo and Halliday.  We just have the policy/ability to make kids wait until they are dominating juniors before they come, regardless of where they are from.