SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ UMN - Sat Night Redemption (hopefully)

brianvf

4 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Can’t say I really do either. Only very rarely is it actually featured as a part of the game of hockey. Straight to 4x4 would be acceptable, but an idea that someone ( I think on here) proposed last year was giving each team a 2 minute power play until a team scores on theirs and the other team doesn’t score on theirs. Kind of like college football OT. Equal number of possessions. 

Go to 4x4 OT for 10 minutes. If it ends as a tie, then so be it. No more $@#&?!* shootouts.

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

And this post sums up gopher hockey fans as arrogant entitled a holes. 

C4F170E7-F301-4705-A053-81B1A41A9291.png

And idiots apparently.  Ha!
I hope all Gopher goals this year get celebrated that way and are followed by 10min penalties...we'll see how long it remains "pretty awesome".  :D 

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Wasn’t able to watch or stream the game today but have been catching up in checking here and twitter. The comment below cracked me up:

Heck Yeah!  That was awesome!  I dont think I have ever seen someone through their stick into the stands in the middle of the game.  I believe it was his first goal of the year.  Pitlick...Hope he enjoyed having his stick thrown back on the ice.  

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

What an insane weekend of hockey. At the end of the day, we got outplayed for big chunks, but we were 1:24 short of sweeping the No. 1 team in the country on their home ice. Battle tested, boys and girls. Battle tested.

I think part of it was UND trying to stay tight in their box after all the lapses last weekend. Even though we are better equipped speed wise for the ice surface it just doesn’t fit our game of playing physical, because if you take a run at someone and miss there is so much open ice to make you pay. Not surprising, Minnesota is so much more efficient on the ice they practice on every day.  Thankfully if we see them again, they won’t have to deal with the large ice surface.  Minnesota has had most of their problems with Mankato on the smaller ice surface.  I think they realize that it is a disadvantage to them at NCAA tourney time.

Just now, brianvf said:

Faceoffs ended up 29-29...impressive end as UND was losing in faceoffs by double digits at one point in the game.

I’m shocked to read this stat as listening to the game on the radio, all I seemed to hear Hennessy say was, “Faceoff won by the gophers.” Glad we clawed back in it in that department.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Our defense needs to get better quick! But will it?

we stole a split this weekend no doubt, our PP and goalie kept us in it thankfully 

A win is a win, and actually we came out better in the pairwise on the weekend than they did considering they were on home ice.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

If anyone would like to listen to clymer whine about the penalty

Did you say, "I have sprockets coming out my ears?"

What?  Does he work with George Jetson at Spacely Space Sprockets during the week?

• Like 1

Starting the backup was a head scratcher, Motzko has some of that Lucia arrogance in him. The "best D in the country" didn't do the goalie any favors though.

The announcers were wrong about so many things all weekend. Yes, it's nowhere near the biggest show in town, but there's gotta be better talent available in a major metro area.

In the articles leading up Motzko said something about not watching the tapes, already knowing how North Dakota plays. Whether or not this was tongue in cheek, it showed on our PP because they had no idea to smother Gaber like seemingly every other team figured out.

@Blackheartif you want my log in for Big Ten Plus to put these on your channel, let me know. Two instant classics, not quite the lore of "the timeout game", but the four minutes following the stick toss should be immortalized on YouTube for generations to come. Pitlick is going viral, just not in the way he thought he would. There was probably a ~35% chance it'd be a Sioux fan that caught it, and sure enough.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

If anyone would like to listen to clymer whine about the penalty

Here's the replay I've been waiting for! Thx.
Newbe to me in hockey, bonus with the penalty, crowd neutralizer with the twig throw back. 4 unanswered goals.

Huge come back by the classy UND fan.
Like I don't want this piece of garbage and lightly threw it back onto the ice, LOL
This will become a highlight reel for this series.

13 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Starting the backup was a head scratcher, Motzko has some of that Lucia arrogance in him. The "best D in the country" didn't do the goalie any favors though.

The announcers were wrong about so many things all weekend. Yes, it's nowhere near the biggest show in town, but there's gotta be better talent available in a major metro area.

In the articles leading up Motzko said something about not watching the tapes, already knowing how North Dakota plays. Whether or not this was tongue in cheek, it showed on our PP because they had no idea to smother Gaber like seemingly every other team figured out.

@Blackheartif you want my log in for Big Ten Plus to put these on your channel, let me know. Two instant classics, not quite the lore of "the timeout game", but the four minutes following the stick toss should be immortalized on YouTube for generations to come. Pitlick is going viral, just not in the way he thought he would. There was probably a ~35% chance it'd be a Sioux fan that caught it, and sure enough.

I'll take Saturday's game in a New York minute....

One thing I hope UND takes away from watching the tape of that game is how important team defense is, and every guy has a big role in our zone.  

Yes, the gophers are much more talented than we are, but of the goals we gave up this weekend a few of them could of been prevented with a commitment to not letting a puck get to the net.

We got outshot horribly, had to rely on our goaltender to be superb, but on two plays if our wing doesn't let the puck through we could be talking about a sweep. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

What are they saying?? Clymer was SUCH a clown tonight. Defended the facemask on Cooley and said the GWG was gonna be called back for interference. Absolute trash. 

Clymer is atrocious.....then add in whoever the female was and it become a fountain of verbal nausea. Never ever did I think I'd say this but Gigi Marvin would have been an upgrade to this gal.

• Upvote 1