SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. Notre Dame - Albany Regional - NCAA regional semis

stoneySIOUX

Just now, brianvf said:

All are incorrect. 

if a guy like jason blake would've lost to western michigan on a friday night he would've spent saturday night at the rick or the weight room instead gaber was slinging beers at brick and barley liking all of his mom's tweets about how good he is....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, neoflex said:

At least we have the coach of the year for the NCHC. We got that

And how is that Penne Rosa looking now. Perhaps the boys thought they won their NC when they won Penne Rosa. I like when past teams would not really even touch the regular season trophy because that wasn’t the trophy they wanted. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

When you think about playmaking ability is there any forward besides Gaber that really had the ability to go make something happen on their own on the rush? I'd argue after Gaber our next best playmakers were probably a couple defensemen which to me says a lot about the lack of skill up front.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, crb1 said:

And how is that Penne Rosa looking now. Perhaps the boys thought they won their NC when they won Penne Rosa. I like when past teams would not really even touch the regular season trophy because that wasn’t the trophy they wanted. 

Hanging a white banner is nothing to sneeze at, but I share your frustration.

Fitting way to lose the game. Our penalty kill has been below average all year. We lacked offensive talent so we need to win low scoring games. The margin of error is very small so we can’t afford to make mistakes and take penalties.  We made a mistake, took a penalty and our season is over.  
My question is, what are the coaches doing with recruiting that left the offensive skill so thin this year? What happened with Rizzo and Morrow? If the portal didn’t exist what would our goaltending plan have been? 

3 minutes ago, crb1 said:

And how did the national tourney work out for those teams that refused to touch the Penrose? Achievements should be celebrated, even if they aren't the ultimate goal.

• Upvote 2

My only problem is that you have to expect your skilled guys to grow, and have opportunity to move on, so recruit accordingly.  Don’t want to get in a situation where every 2-3 years we are going to have to listen to the refrain, this is how they have to play to be successful. That was the same situation that happened to Mike Eaves.  They did great with what they had to work with this year, and our fans would have understood, even expected a 3rd or 4th place finish, as long as we continued to develop and grow through the playoffs, but this team peaked a while ago now.  

This looked to be a challenging year when we thought Weatherby was our #1 center and Sanderson #1 D.  What they did this year, given the circumstances, was pretty amazing.  But they seemed to lose "something" when they won the league in Omaha, and really just never found it again.  They didn't play poorly today, they were up against a team like Bemidji on steroids, built to make you look bad.  By comparison, for instance, WMU really worked UND over.  Now that was playing poorly.  This was an ultra-tight checking playoff game where a game-breaker like Sanderson could have made a difference, in his 30 minutes of ice time.

Again, this team did a lot with what they had.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, N of GF said:

And how did the national tourney work out for those teams that refused to touch the Penrose? Achievements should be celebrated, even if they aren't the ultimate goal.

That wasn’t really my point. Sure they can touch it and celebrate but knowing this is a well deserved accomplishment but not the final goal. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, crb1 said:

Judd is streaky, Senden is just not a top 6 and Gaber sometimes tries to do too much. But I wouldn’t say that about them. 

Judd did not progress from last year,  I think we all expected more.  You are right with Senden and Gaber.  

Great season for what was put in front of them. Over achieved and made a good run. Berry and Co deserve credit for what they did and the players stepped up and performed.  Unfortunately they ran out of steam 2 weeks ago. We will retool and come back next season stronger than ever!

• Upvote 1

Just now, Siouxperfan7 said:

I miss the days if this program getting top end forwards that can score that are 1st and 2nd round draft picks. 

and what did hak do with those guys..........just got done waching jay wright move to the elite 8 with villanova....again.............some coaches are winners and know how to get it done.......some are assistant coaches masquerading as head coaches and that happens a lot at und

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2