SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. Notre Dame - Albany Regional - NCAA regional semis

stoneySIOUX

10 minutes ago, rochsioux said:

In 12 years under Hakstol UND won zero NC$$ championships.  They made the NC$$ tourney all 12 years and the Frozen Four eight times and only lost the opening regional game twice (went 18-4 in regionals, 1-7 in Frozen Fours).  If you had to chose, would you rather have Berry’s tournament record or Haks ? Berry is 3-3 in regionals, 2-0 in frozen fours with one frozen four appearance in six years (Covid year a non counter) and made the tourney in 4 of 6 years.

For me I think I would take Hakstol’s.  The seasons were more fun when they would get to the frozen four so often.  Not making the tourney or losing the first game is a real downer.  Granted, losing in the frozen four was no fun either but it was a lot of fun winning the regionals so often…the season lasted a lot longer.  Under Berry there was only one fun post season, and some years no post season. Not sure one title makes up enough for all the other quick exits. 

Say what you will about those Hak teams but he knew how to get the most out of his teams.  We were undermanned a few times and still made Frozen Fours.  Have yet to see Berry come close to anything like that.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

Say what you will about those Hak teams but he knew how to get the most out of his teams.  We were undermanned a few times and still made Frozen Fours.  Have yet to see Berry come close to anything like that.  

It would be easy to argue that Berry came close to that this season.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, rochsioux said:

In 12 years under Hakstol UND won zero NC$$ championships.  They made the NC$$ tourney all 12 years and the Frozen Four eight times and only lost the opening regional game twice (went 18-4 in regionals, 1-7 in Frozen Fours).  If you had to chose, would you rather have Berry’s tournament record or Haks ? Berry is 3-3 in regionals, 2-0 in frozen fours with one frozen four appearance in six years (Covid year a non counter) and made the tourney in 4 of 6 years.

For me I think I would take Hakstol’s.  The seasons were more fun when they would get to the frozen four so often.  Not making the tourney or losing the first game is a real downer.  Granted, losing in the frozen four was no fun either but it was a lot of fun winning the regionals so often…the season lasted a lot longer.  Under Berry there was only one fun post season, and some years no post season. Not sure one title makes up enough for all the other quick exits. 

I feel as though there is a bit of a recency bias to this question. When Hak was running the show people would've rather won a natty once every five years and missed the tourney the other four, instead of always getting there and never winning.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I feel as though there is a bit of a recency bias to this question. When Hak was running the show people would've rather won a natty once every five years and missed the tourney the other four, instead of always getting there and never winning.

That seemed to be the line of thinking back then.

5 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

I think Berry is quite fortunate that he nabbed that title so early in his tenure.  Take away that year, and UND is on quite a horrid looking path compared to the accomplishments of his predecessors.  With the standards UND should have for its program, and considering the funding, facilities, and history that our team entails, we should not look so repeatedly lackluster at tourney time.  

I do agree with this. IMO Berry has underperformed, and I do feel there is a real issue with recruiting.  Rizzo, Morrow and I am sure there are a couple more I am missing but that is worrisome. Berry got a contract extension but he should seriously look inward in his recruiting philosophy as I feel something is not working. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

Definitely. That's why there was a 'Fire Hak' thread for a lot of his time here. Everyone here wanted the natty's. 

1 hour ago, rochsioux said:

2016: 34-6-4 National Champs

2017: 21-16-3  Lost to BU first round

2018: 17-13-10 Missed the tourney 

2019: 18-17-2  Missed the tourney

2020: 26-5-4  Covid

2021:  22-6-1  Lost to UMD in regional title

2022:  24-14-1  Lost to ND first round

Since the NC$$ title six years ago UND has won one tournament game beating the mighty AIC last year. Let that sink in a bit, ONE win in six years. Don’t know about anyone else but I expect a little more.  Conference titles are nice but lose a little significance for me when we can’t even get out of a regional. 

2018 and 2019 teams were painful to watch. This team is really just slightly north of those because they had way more heart and Driscoll was terrific in the 2nd half. 

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

2018 and 2019 teams were painful to watch. This team is really just slightly north of those because they had way more heart and Driscoll was terrific in the 2nd half. 

This season looked like it was headed in that direction after the Cornell/WMU series but to their credit this team really poured it on for a few weeks there and were really fun to watch. They haven’t played the same though since the 3rd period of the first UNO game. Lost the lead in a game that could have clinched the outright Penrose. Then not the same looking team since then. 

30 minutes ago, rochsioux said:

Tampa was awesome so I’ll take Berry.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I'll agree with you here, but why do so many of you insist on forgetting that the '17 team was 'good enough' to win it all. If the BU game had gone our way, you never know. In the spring of '20 we were all looking forward to avenging our early season loss to Mankato in the national title game. That was canceled. Was last year a bad UND team? Yeah, obviously not, but another OT heartbreaker. 

I just don't understand why so many of you are so quick to be embarrassed by your favorite team.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

What culture is that?  3 sog in the first period of the biggest game of the season against a mediocre Notre Dame team?  24 shots on goal total with extra time?  Basically zero display of skill at any point in the game?  

The idea of recruiting a team of nail guns who will staple you to the boards all game while cycling the puck endlessly until you turn it over...then sometimes getting an outside shot while the opposing defense just packs it in because you have no skill isn't going to cut it in NCAA hockey anymore.  Our best scoring chance was a penalty shot and our best player couldn't even put in on net while doing absolutely nothing skill-wise to try and beat the goalie.  But hey, we have "culture"...it's one so many other titles for us.  It definitely wasn't because our 2016 title team was full of NHLers that Hak recruited.  

this^^^^^^^^^

16 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

45BEE928-9235-4212-8B28-B6FD6ED84561.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, crb1 said:

I do agree with this. IMO Berry has underperformed, and I do feel there is a real issue with recruiting.  Rizzo, Morrow and I am sure there are a couple more I am missing but that is worrisome. Berry got a contract extension but he should seriously look inward in his recruiting philosophy as I feel something is not working. 

Re Morrow and Rizzo, both were lost due to having them wait to come in. I respect Berry for being firm on that front. Same thing happened with Donovan, and he was correct there. Rizzo was coming off an injury and not performing. Just a theory but I think we lost him when we brought Jamernik in at the halfway mark last year. Should we have brought Rizzo instead?

Morrow clearly didn't need an extra year as we thought, but he also didn't want to be in Fargo; not a good sign of his desire to be an hour north.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

What culture is that?  3 sog in the first period of the biggest game of the season against a mediocre Notre Dame team?  24 shots on goal total with extra time?  Basically zero display of skill at any point in the game?  

The idea of recruiting a team of nail guns who will staple you to the boards all game while cycling the puck endlessly until you turn it over...then sometimes getting an outside shot while the opposing defense just packs it in because you have no skill isn't going to cut it in NCAA hockey anymore.  Our best scoring chance was a penalty shot and our best player couldn't even put in on net while doing absolutely nothing skill-wise to try and beat the goalie.  But hey, we have "culture"...it's one so many other titles for us.  It definitely wasn't because our 2016 title team was full of NHLers that Hak recruited.  

don't forget coming out of the locker room after the goal was overturned and looking likethe bad news bears for 90 seconds.....

kinda reminds me of bubba using a to before running a play in the second half....how does that happen?