SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. Notre Dame - Albany Regional - NCAA regional semis

stoneySIOUX

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

We, apparently, asked him to stay another year in Junior and he felt he was ready. So, that unfortunately looks like a big miss. 

From everything I've been told, Rizzo de-committing was totally unexpected. It caught the coaches off-guard. 

8 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Lol ok... 88 career games, three seasons. Career stats: 6 goals, 6 assists -- 12 points. 

Bubbs made the right call, here.

Didn't realize he was older. Seemed like last year he joined Wisconsin. I do remember him doing well in his first weekend of college hockey and people on this board were upset. A team still needs 3rd and 4th liners. Maybe top 6 isn't his roll.

Just now, nodakgirl93 said:

Didn't realize he was older. Seemed like last year he joined Wisconsin. I do remember him doing well in his first weekend of college hockey and people on this board were upset. A team still needs 3rd and 4th liners. Maybe top 6 isn't his roll.

Maybe he could have benefitted from playing one more year in junior, like we asked him to?

My point is here that it definitely seems like Bubbs and company missed with Rizzo, but they get it right way more often than not. Judging him on this miss doesn't seem fair.

41 minutes ago, Goon said:

Imagine that you work for a pretty good sized company. You lose half of your work forces. They're replaced with a whole new group of people. You're going to have growing pains. I think UND exceeded expectations this year. 

Now let's say this company brings in two employees that were near the very top in production in their respected positions from the year before.........Ford and Calder aren't @Wilbur and @MafiaMan filling these positions.

35 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

From everything I've been told, Rizzo de-committing was totally unexpected. It caught the coaches off-guard. 

I've said this before, but Rizzo was announced with the incoming UND Freshman class per their official release (happens in June / July). The schools / coaches absolutely expected him to be there that Fall. 

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

I've said this before, but Rizzo was announced with the incoming UND Freshman class per their official release (happens in June / July). The schools / coaches absolutely expected him to be there that Fall. 

Sorry if I missed that before, @AJS. That's interesting and I'd love to know what happened and if Bubbs missed something, here. That could change the narrative a bit either way. Maybe he saw a better immediate opportunity with DU since we expect to have Jasper? That's brutal. 

5 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

So they didn't try to push him back?

All I know is he was part of the official class release (Sanderson class). I've never seen anyone else included that was not there that Fall.

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Now let's say this company brings in two employees that were near the very top in production in their respected positions from the year before.........Ford and Calder aren't @Wilbur and @MafiaMan filling these positions.

IDK!  I know that Connor Ford was one of the top Faceoff guys in the country, so, he has the skill set. Also, Calder has another year. With that said, I was impressed with what these two players brought to the table this past season. As far as @Wilbur and @MafiaMan go, I will have to let them answer this question. :) Your question made me laugh. :) Both said players in question were at the Hoggsbreath this past weekend. 

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

but let's say this company is a top 5 Fortune 500 company and the those two employees brought in come from middle of the pack Fortune 500 companies.  Expecting the same results isn't fair to those 2 new employees right out of the gate.

3 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

but let's say this company is a top 5 Fortune 500 company and the those two employees brought in come from middle of the pack Fortune 500 companies.  Expecting the same results isn't fair to those 2 new employees right out of the gate.

Let’s hope Calder gets back some of his goal scoring swagger next season. We could use it. 

16 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Valid point but does winning one NCAA tournament game in the last five years qualify as a "Fortune 500 company"?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, nodakgirl93 said:

If berry was adamant about rizzo having to spend another year in juniors or decomit and go elsewhere then something needs changing with berry. 

Maybe we weren't Rizzo's number 1 choice?

I remember when we were recruiting Jason Gregoire and we told him we wanted to bring him to UND in 08-09 and Denver said they would bring him to campus in 07-08 so he committed to Denver even though UND was where he preferred to go. Then Denver told him they wanted him to play an extra year of Juniors and arrive on campus in 08-09. Since now since the circumstances were the same Gregoire flipped back to UND. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Maybe we weren't Rizzo's number 1 choice?

I remember when we were recruiting Jason Gregoire and we told him we wanted to bring him to UND in 08-09 and Denver said they would bring him to campus in 07-08 so he committed to Denver even though UND was where he preferred to go. Then Denver told him they wanted him to play an extra year of Juniors and arrive on campus in 08-09. Since now since the circumstances were the same Gregoire flipped back to UND. 

At the time Rizzo would have committed we would have been. He was on the Jost path (had a year in the BCHL under his belt), year # 2 (draft year) ahead of him. He was a year out when he committed. He was a monster recruit, there's no way a school wouldn't have offered him. I remember Wisconsin, but I think Denver was also one of his Final 3.

6 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Can't believe I have to remind people we didn't lose the BU game. The Fargo Screwjob was stolen by incompetent refs, and rules were changed to prevent it from happening again.

Sadly based on the rules at the time it was the correct call.  With that being said UND had the opportunity last year in the 5OT to benefit from the new rule but couldn't  

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Sadly based on the rules at the time it was the correct call.  With that being said UND had the opportunity last year in the 5OT to benefit from the new rule but couldn't  

Are you sure?? I never once saw a camera angle that confirmed it was offside. Piecing it all together, a completely fair assumption could be made it was off, no doubt. However, the call on the ice was onside. I'll never believe they saw anything definitive. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Sadly, it was not the correct call.  The call on the ice was onside. There was no replay that could conclusively say that the left wing was offside. The side views were blocked by fans. The only view you had was from the far end zone which will always be distorted due to the parallax view. There is no way to precisely determine the correct relationship between the players skate and the blue line from that far away. Not only is the foot above the blue line due to the skate blade but the blue line is not painted directly on top of the ice.  If the evidence to overturn if not conclusive then you have to go with the call on the ice. Absolutely pathetic job by the linesman.

Parallax example

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Are you sure?? I never once saw a camera angle that confirmed it was offside. Piecing it all together, a completely fair assumption could be made it was off, no doubt. However, the call on the ice was onside. I'll never believe they saw anything definitive. 

We’ll never know what angles the refs had, but the broadcast eventually showed a zoomed in view from the opposite goal/end that showed (to me at least, and I’m as biased as they come) that it was offsides. It was still a no-win call, but I would have had to rule it offsides conclusively if I saw that angle and had to make the call…despite the heartbreak. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, rochsioux said:

Sadly, it was not the correct call.  The call on the ice was onside. There was no replay that could conclusively say that the left wing was offside. The side views were blocked by fans. The only view you had was from the far end zone which will always be distorted due to the parallax view. There is no way to precisely determine the correct relationship between the players skate and the blue line from that far away. Not only is the foot above the blue line due to the skate blade but the blue line is not painted directly on top of the ice.  If the evidence to overturn if not conclusive then you have to go with the call on the ice. Absolutely pathetic job by the linesman.

Parallax example

Dude, I’d finally come to grips that at least it was the right call, why you gotta bring this variable in to make me doubt again?? :unsure: