SiouxSports.com Forum

Saturday night at Amsoil

Kevin G

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

I'm guessing they'll win their last four games.
I just can't see them dropping any games to UNO or CC, even if they're on the road for 3 of those games.

Which means we'll need to win out in order to win the Penna Rosa. 
I see us winning 3 of the last 4 games...I'd love to see us sweep WMU, but they're a strong team and better than UMD.  So that would put us just a couple points behind DU for the regular season title.

I'd honestly be ok with that if it played out that way, even if I'd love to see them win the Penna title again.  With how much this team lost this offseason, and how many ups and downs they had during the season...it'd be damn impressive finishing in the top 2 of the strongest league in the NCAA's and they'd be set up well for the tourney.

Denver is not a great road team. I think they’re like 8-6, so I’m not sure they can sweep Omaha on the road. The only NCHC road sweep they have was at Miami and one of those wins was an OT win so they didn’t get the full 6 points. So it wouldn’t surprise me if Omaha steals some points from them. 

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

I'm guessing they'll win their last four games.
I just can't see them dropping any games to UNO or CC, even if they're on the road for 3 of those games.

Which means we'll need to win out in order to win the Penna Rosa. 
I see us winning 3 of the last 4 games...I'd love to see us sweep WMU, but they're a strong team and better than UMD.  So that would put us just a couple points behind DU for the regular season title.

I'd honestly be ok with that if it played out that way, even if I'd love to see them win the Penna title again.  With how much this team lost this offseason, and how many ups and downs they had during the season...it'd be damn impressive finishing in the top 2 of the strongest league in the NCAA's and they'd be set up well for the tourney.

I honestly believe we will beat Denver out for the PennRose.  We can sweep Western and Omaha.  Don't think we will need to sweep both series to win it either.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Denver is not a great road team. I think they’re like 8-6, so I’m not sure they can sweep Omaha on the road. The only NCHC road sweep they have was at Miami and one of those wins was an OT win so they didn’t get the full 6 points. So it wouldn’t surprise me if Omaha steals some points from them. 

There might be a lot of majors being reviewed though!;)

8 hours ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

I honestly believe we will beat Denver out for the PennRose.  We can sweep Western and Omaha.  Don't think we will need to sweep both series to win it either.

"At present we suck and that appears to be te storyline of this second half.  We act like they should just declare us the winners just for stepping on the ice.  We are gonna lose 90% of our reamaining games at this rate. "

You sure seem to fluctuate from woe is us to overconfident.   What happened to us not even making home ice?

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, tnt said:

"At present we suck and that appears to be te storyline of this second half.  We act like they should just declare us the winners just for stepping on the ice.  We are gonna lose 90% of our reamaining games at this rate. "

You sure seem to fluctuate from woe is us to overconfident.   What happened to us not even making home ice?

I was down on the teams play when they hit their skid but they have rebounded very well lately.  We swept Denver at home and I do think Denver has peaked and is ready for a rough patch just like we had.  Even our 2016 team had a rough patch when they went to Denver and got swept.  My prediction is a Denver slump and we win the PennRose by 4 to 7 points.  

38 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

I was down on the teams play when they hit their skid but they have rebounded very well lately.  We swept Denver at home and I do think Denver has peaked and is ready for a rough patch just like we had.  Even our 2016 team had a rough patch when they went to Denver and got swept.  My prediction is a Denver slump and we win the PennRose by 4 to 7 points.  

Forgive me for not taking much stock in your predictions when you had us losing 90% of our games after the Western series, missing out on home ice, and not making the NCAA tournament.  Hope you are right this time around though. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, tnt said:

There might be a lot of majors being reviewed though!;)

The one I saw being reviewed Saturday for a major, they should have gave the Denver player a 5 for diving that badly.

I do expect the reviews to surpass the amount during the Western Michigan/Denver weekend.

9 minutes ago, cberkas said:

The one I saw being reviewed Saturday for a major, they should have gave the Denver player a 5 for diving that badly.

I do expect the reviews to surpass the amount during the Western Michigan/Denver weekend.

There should be a clock for referee reviews: 10 minutes total per game. After that, refs only get to review scoring plays (did the puck cross the goal? was the offensive team onside? was the puck tipped in with a high stick?), and they only get 90 seconds to review the play. If they can't determine that the play should be overturned after 90 seconds, the call on the ice stands. 

My first trip to Duluth for Hockey. What a great series. Duluth fans were pretty cool too. Got a lot of comments at breweries about missing the Sioux, and amazed how we travel. Mostly positive which is great to hear. Lots of bulldog fans who admit going to UND or have kids that go there and secretly UND is their second favorite. We all agreed that the Gophers suck. Duluth can score quick, and they didn't make the sweep easy.

Also had a great time afterwards at The 310 Pub. Ran into some familiar faces, and finally got to put names to faces on some on here and Facebook groups. Also ran into this beauty who showed me his 1999 NCC Championship Ring and hung out for quite a while exchanging Jimmy Kleinsasser stories haha 

I can't wait for the NCHC Frozen Faceoff 

image000000.jpg

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, brianvf said:

With how much this team lost this offseason, and how many ups and downs they had during the season...it'd be damn impressive finishing in the top 2 of the strongest league in the NCAA's and they'd be set up well for the tourney.

You are either on to something or on something. :wink:

With that type of logic, many on here would have to descend off their soapbox and cease and desist with the Berry bashing.

We are a passionate fan base. Sometimes we forget to be equally grounded in reality. 
Up until Tampa in 2016, I was 0-5 at frozen fours and had lost a lot of hope. Sh*t, most programs struggle to get that far as consistently as the Sioux do. Now I am glad that I was there and I have a lot more patience for our team and the how difficult a one and done tournament can be. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tbone said:

You are either on to something or on something. :wink:

With that type of logic, many on here would have to descend off their soapbox and cease and desist with the Berry bashing.

We are a passionate fan base. Sometimes we forget to be equally grounded in reality. 
Up until Tampa in 2016, I was 0-5 at frozen fours and had lost a lot of hope. Sh*t, some programs struggle to get that far as consistently as the Sioux do. Now I am glad that I was there and I have a lot more patience for our team and the how difficult a one and done tournament can be. 

Agreed. Sometimes you have to step back and look at the big picture. This tweet really shows how great we have been and still are. 

Screenshot_20220222-110558_Twitter.jpg

• Upvote 2

Most of us have been around to witness, since 1980, six national championships. Incredible that we can still complain on the ‘down years’.

Berry ain’t blowing smoke when he talks about the culture of the program and his and the team’s gratitude for the tremendous fan support.

25 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Fans just need to quit trying to be first to declare the season dead before it's over.  Just because we won some games does not make us the 2015-16 team AND just because we lost some games does not make us the 2017-18 team.  Try to enjoy the ride

This is what completely baffles me, people go ballistic every year and say we have no talent, then go overboard the other way when we are on a winning streak.  We have the same talent we had earlier this year, in fact with injuries, even less, but now we are going to be world beaters?

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, tnt said:

This is what completely baffles me, people go ballistic every year and say we have no talent, then go overboard the other way when we are on a winning streak.  We have the same talent we had earlier this year, in fact with injuries, even less, but now we are going to be world beaters?

My favorite is that Berry's "system" makes players regress once they get here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 2/22/2022 at 11:56 AM, tnt said:

UND fandom in a nutshell.

On 2/22/2022 at 11:56 AM, tnt said:

The same dynamic happens in a single game.   Emotions disguised as analysis.  

But hey, that's what we fans do.

2 hours ago, Kab said:

For those fans that travel

which rink has the best fans and atmosphere and which rink has the worst fans and atmosphere

conference rinks only , food counts too 

Ive only been to Denver, CC and Duluth (the Decc) but would love to go to Kalamazoo, like them or not the fans there get into it and are a lively/rowdy bunch.

2 hours ago, Kab said:

which rink has the best fans and atmosphere and which rink has the worst fans and atmosphere

Western Michigan for best and idk if there is a worse but SCSU is the least favorite to go too. 

2 hours ago, Kab said:

Been to Duluth, Denver, Omaha, and Miami (not counting CC as I’m a season ticket holder for Tiger hockey).

By far, the best arena and experience I’ve had was in Oxford. Nice arena-small and intimate and great college atmosphere. Oxford totally is a college town, lots of bars and restaurants downtown. Not many hotels though, had to stay outside of Cincinnati and rent a car to get to Oxford each game night. 

Omaha is a close second. Been there many times for both UND and CC series. Fans have always been nice and hospitable and Baxter Arena is nice-open air concourse. Lots of bars and restaurants right across the street within walking distance. 

Denver is ALWAYS a blast. Partly because of the intense rivalry between the two programs. Nothing sweeter to my ears than when North Dakota scores and hearing the roar of the HUGE sea of green that invades Magness Arena every series there! I still remember Poolman scoring in overtime a few seasons back and how deafening the North Dakota fans were and how quiet the DU fans were. 

Duluth. Hard to say because I attended a series between the dogs and CC and Duluth easily skated past the Tigers. So between two easy wins and no real rivalry between the two teams, the atmosphere was kind of dull. However I bet UND fans who’ve gone to games there will attest differently.